The Student Room Group

Heroes // An Inspector Calls // Of Mice And Men KEY QUOTES?

Hi guys! So I was wondering if anyone knows any key quotes that will help me in my Literature exams that are coming up?Thanks in advance!! :smile:
Original post by leleeelele
Hi guys! So I was wondering if anyone knows any key quotes that will help me in my Literature exams that are coming up?Thanks in advance!! :smile:

hi,

i absolutely hate english lit so ive been drilled by my teacher with key points for the exam.

some things worth noting and remembering is especially for the character of Arthur Birling in an inspector calls - he hasnt come up on the exam so it's likely that we'll be asked about him.

a key example is where Birling gives eric and gerald the long speech in act one about war, economy, vehicles etc. you could quote about the titanic "absolutely unsinkable" which can be matched with the comment of dramatic irony (the audience knows something that the characters dont - remember the play was first performed in 1945) . the titanic actually sank in 1912 on its maiden voyage. this shows that birling is a very brash character and highly opinionated as he believes he is the correct one - this is dogmatic statements which means the idea that they cant be challenged is given.

also talk about sheila and how she changes. quote things like "mummy" in Act 1 and then no longer calling her mummy, instead going against sybil and arthur in act 3. she has matured and tries to impose guilt on them. you could write about "you be careful" which she says to gerald in act 1, indicating she is a cautious character who likes people to obey her. also it foreshadows Gerald "not being careful" in the near future of the play.

another and the last key point ill probably make is eric when he has a go at his mother. he shouts at her and threatens her - i cant exactly remember the quote and i dont have the book in front of me but yeah he threatens sybil which contrasts the idea of respect for elders in the upper class society of 1912. furthermore, eric is now a changed man and shares responsibility for eva's death and agrees, for once, with sheila that the parents act like nothing has happened.

i havent actually revised of mice and men properly yet but key points to note are:
- crooks' segregation/isolation
- curley's wife being never named
- curley's wife disrespected
- curley's wife talking about her dreams (I HAVE A FEELING THIS IS IMPORTANT IDK WHY)
- contrast between the theme of loneliness and friendship of lennie and george
- candy losing his dog (he wishes someone would shoot him - quite important for the theme of loneliness)
- the american dream/lennie and george's dream

thats all ive got in my head right now so hope it helps

good luck for all your exams! -zain
Reply 2
Original post by zainahmed48
hi,

i absolutely hate english lit so ive been drilled by my teacher with key points for the exam.

some things worth noting and remembering is especially for the character of Arthur Birling in an inspector calls - he hasnt come up on the exam so it's likely that we'll be asked about him.

a key example is where Birling gives eric and gerald the long speech in act one about war, economy, vehicles etc. you could quote about the titanic "absolutely unsinkable" which can be matched with the comment of dramatic irony (the audience knows something that the characters dont - remember the play was first performed in 1945) . the titanic actually sank in 1912 on its maiden voyage. this shows that birling is a very brash character and highly opinionated as he believes he is the correct one - this is dogmatic statements which means the idea that they cant be challenged is given.

also talk about sheila and how she changes. quote things like "mummy" in Act 1 and then no longer calling her mummy, instead going against sybil and arthur in act 3. she has matured and tries to impose guilt on them. you could write about "you be careful" which she says to gerald in act 1, indicating she is a cautious character who likes people to obey her. also it foreshadows Gerald "not being careful" in the near future of the play.

another and the last key point ill probably make is eric when he has a go at his mother. he shouts at her and threatens her - i cant exactly remember the quote and i dont have the book in front of me but yeah he threatens sybil which contrasts the idea of respect for elders in the upper class society of 1912. furthermore, eric is now a changed man and shares responsibility for eva's death and agrees, for once, with sheila that the parents act like nothing has happened.

i havent actually revised of mice and men properly yet but key points to note are:
- crooks' segregation/isolation
- curley's wife being never named
- curley's wife disrespected
- curley's wife talking about her dreams (I HAVE A FEELING THIS IS IMPORTANT IDK WHY)
- contrast between the theme of loneliness and friendship of lennie and george
- candy losing his dog (he wishes someone would shoot him - quite important for the theme of loneliness)
- the american dream/lennie and george's dream

thats all ive got in my head right now so hope it helps

good luck for all your exams! -zain

Thank you so much!! This helped alot! :smile:
Original post by leleeelele
Thank you so much!! This helped alot! :smile:

welcome :smile:
Any predictions on what character the question will be on this year??
Original post by hannahf598
Any predictions on what character the question will be on this year??

my gut feeling is Arthur Birling. but my teacher says it could be anyone... shes a great help :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest