yearninekid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi,
I have to choose between art or music GCSE. the only way I can take both is by compromising history, but I really want to do that, so that's out of the question. I know art GCSE is a lot of work, but I would like to study either music or art in the future. I want to take them both at A Level but can only take whichever one I study now, so I'm thinking I should maybe take art because I do a lot of music out of school and could have grade 8 singing, theory and classical guitar by the time it came to applying for university, which would probably let me study music then if I wanted to. I know I'll really regret my choice no matter what I do, but I'm not sure if I'll particularly enjoy music GCSE and I know art is a lot of work.
thanks
JessSLT
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Art
Defiantly art

I cannot draw .... I am like a child probably worse looool and I got a..b !!
I put In a lot of different techniques projects things that were so varied explained was a help having a brill teacher to help me use every other skill rather than drawing and painting .
My final piece was a glass window painting :-) so if I can ..anyone can !
Segsation
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in year 11 at the moment, doing GCSE Music and just to say that music is a lot of work as well. Obviously it depends on what exam board you do but I have personally found it really difficult. Going into year 10 I played the flute to a grade 5 standard and have played in orchestras for 6 years and I found that my musical knowledge was incredibly insufficient. You would need to have a really good grasp on music theory and be comfortable with composing. Sorry if i'm making this sound really bad but I just want you to have all the info before making your choice.

I'm doing AQA and this is how the units break down:
- 1 composition based on a them given by AQA (Mine was Pop Music - harder than you think) (10% of final grade)
- 1 2 hour essay written in exam conditions about your composition, explaining all the elements and how you composed it, what you found hard etc. (10%)
- 1 composition on any theme you want (20%)
- A solo performance (20%)
- An ensemble performance (20%)
- A one hour listening exam where you answer questions on bits of music they play you (20%)

I know that seems like a lot but remember you have 2 years to do all that and everything but the listening can be done at anytime. Sorry if I made it sound terrifying. It really is a good GCSE and it can be really fun to take if you like your class and teacher. I would say that you have to really like music to take it and be prepared to put in the effort. It's very easy to coast through and not get a good grade but you sound like you play a couple of instruments and are pretty competent so you should be fine. Sorry I can't tell you anything about art but I don't take it. Hope this has been helpful!
Skyliee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am also currently in year 11, and about to start GCSE examinations.
I chose Music and not art but graphics, which is similar in some ways but vastly different. I have to say, even as an extremely EXTREMELY arty person, i preferred music a lot more than i did my creative subject.
For music my exam board is EDEXCEL, and for that, out coursework (60%) consists of:
-Solo Performance
-Ensemble Performance
-and TWO compositions

The compositions are agonising, they are hard, but so long as you fit the mark scheme, it shouldn't be too easy to fail. As long as you can play an instrument decently, the coursework won't be too difficult.
The remaining 40% is an exam on listening and appraising. there will be 12 setworks of various different genres where you will have to learn INSIDE OUT, because you'll be memorising a whole essay on each of these setworks. Let me tell you that it isn't easy at all. Luckily the paper is out of 80 and the essay is only 10 marks, and the rest of the paper is a mixture of multiple choice, comparison and notation questions. I would recommend having at least grade 4 theory knowledge for Music GCSE

If you are dead set on a career in music or art, pick the one you are more interested in, and the one you are more committed to. Both are hard and you're more likely to do well in the one you enjoy better. Keep in mind that, depending on your future college choices, if you pick Art you will not be able to do music at A level, and Vice versa, so make your choice carefully :3
aoifetoni
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have just finished my Art GCSE and it is literally the longest GCSE I have had to do. If you are ready for no breaks or lunches and hours spent in one room full of dedication, then do art.
My exam board is AQA, and it consists of:
60% Coursework and 40% Exam.
Everyone has to do the same theme for the coursework, my schools theme being natural form we had to do all nature based objects such as flowers, trees, natural landscapes and such-like (but no humans). Then for the exam you receive a paper that has about 10-12 options of what theme you wanted to do, this year there was things like Imagine (which I chose so I could do fairies and dragons from my inner child), hands, jumble and time. This you have freedom with so most likely you won't be doing anything too similar to others in your class.
You do the same amount of work for both sections, but you only have six weeks for the exam when you receive in January (Year 11) whereas you can begin the coursework around the middle of year 10/beginning of year 11.
For our specification, we had to have 11-16 recordings, 4-6 artist studies, 4 initial ideas, 4 developed ideas, 4 colour studies, a mini final design and then your full 10 hour final design. That's only for each part, the coursework and the exam. You can obviously do more than the above, but that is what is expected of you.
I would highly suggest not taking other subjects which require a lot of attention, for example if you were to take Art and Drama you would be totally screwed because the exams are around the exact same time and they both need extreme amounts of time and effort put into them. I did art and graphics, which was actually really difficult to do and I didn't realise at the time but its all out of the way now. I don't know if there is an actual exam at the end of music but the good thing about art is that everything should be done by the end of april/very beginning of may and so you have one GCSE out of the way and you can revise more for your other subjects... also... FREE PERIOD!
Lil_timmi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I did both Art and Music GCSE last year gaining an A* for both. Whilst art is a lot more time consuming, you don't have to study for it. On the other hand, you actually have to study for music even though you have done theory.. It's more about learning the set works instead - you cover more of theory in A levels.

If you've covered your grade 8 singing you'll have no problem with the getting top marks for the performance coursework, however there is the composition coursework which is often the part that people dislike.

Art I find is fairly simple to get good grades if you keep on time with your coursework.. I found that I spent most of my free time doing art, but it was quite a good time to relax from other subjects.

The choice is up to you.. If you have any questions about either feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to answer anything about either subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.36%
No (210)
76.64%

Watched Threads