The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If they're anything like they are on the telly then I don't think I'd belong in a sorority lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by channies
If they're anything like they are on the telly then I don't think I'd belong in a sorority lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I can see why, but what if we toned it down a little and made it more open to all sorts of people? Would you be interested then? aha.
Do we have to mimic everything that goes on in the US?
We do have a Come Dine With Me Society. That's the same thing, right?
Original post by Novascope
Lol I can see why, but what if we toned it down a little and made it more open to all sorts of people? Would you be interested then? aha.

I dunno. Maybe. It depends if there are those hazing rituals you hear about. I heard they circle your body fat with markers and make you run around campus naked. yikes! No thanks if that's the case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
Do we have to mimic everything that goes on in the US?

No not really. There's not many things I like about the US, but this is something I do quite like...
Reply 7
Original post by Quantex
We do have a Come Dine With Me Society. That's the same thing, right?

Your uni has a Come Dine With Me society? Wot?
No not really. There's not many things I like about the US, but this is something I do quite like...

I suppose sports teams and some societies behave in a similar manner to fraternities/sororities.
Reply 9
I dunno. Maybe. It depends if there are those hazing rituals you hear about. I heard they circle your body fat with markers and make you run around campus naked. yikes! No thanks if that's the case

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah those hazing rituals are nuts. I've heard that people have died :frown: Honestly, I think we could have them but tone it down and make sure they're not mental.
Reply 10
Original post by moonkatt
I suppose sports teams and some societies behave in a similar manner to fraternities/sororities.

Yeah you're right, but the main deal to the fraternities/sororities is the fact that it's about brother/sisterhood. Sports team and other societies aren't really about making connections like that if you know what I mean?
Yeah you're right, but the main deal to the fraternities/sororities is the fact that it's about brother/sisterhood. Sports team and other societies aren't really about making connections like that if you know what I mean?

Thing is though I'd kind of feel like the friendship with my sorority sisters is just fake because you're kind of forced to be friends with them if you're in the house regardless of if you really like them or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thing is though I'd kind of feel like the friendship with my sorority sisters is just fake because you're kind of forced to be friends with them if you're in the house regardless of if you really like them or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm that's true. Instead of there being just one type of sororities, maybe if there were multiple ones for different people, it would be easier as you'd find people like yourself therefore having a higher chance of actually having a genuine friendship.
Reply 13
American here. I was never in a sorority in undergrad (it's primarily an undergrad thing) but I knew plenty of people who were into Greek life. There are loads of different sororities and frats for different types of personalities. You normally only rush a particular frat/sorority if you're already familiar with the people who are in it and want to be friends with them. Hazing happens but experiences differ depending on which sorority/frat you're at and at which university. It's probably not as common as you think, since plenty of universities have a zero tolerance policy on hazing. Personally, I see Greek life as a relatively benign institution for people who like organized socializing. Hope this helps!
Reply 14
Original post by zigsun
American here. I was never in a sorority in undergrad (it's primarily an undergrad thing) but I knew plenty of people who were into Greek life. There are loads of different sororities and frats for different types of personalities. You normally only rush a particular frat/sorority if you're already familiar with the people who are in it and want to be friends with them. Hazing happens but experiences differ depending on which sorority/frat you're at and at which university. It's probably not as common as you think, since plenty of universities have a zero tolerance policy on hazing. Personally, I see Greek life as a relatively benign institution for people who like organized socializing. Hope this helps!

Ohhh, nice to hear this from an American haha. Yeah I'm not surprised that there are different ones. It would be crazy to just have one type for a certain type of people. Also nice to know that the hazing isn't as mad as it seems? I think a lot of us Brits just go off of what we see in movies and tv shows haha.
I wouldn't mind. It's essentially a free place to live isn't it? lol
Reply 16
Original post by ChickenMadness
I wouldn't mind. It's essentially a free place to live isn't it? lol

Um yeah I think so? Even if I didn't like the girls in my sorority, I'd rather stay there for free than pay rent lmao.
Reply 17
Ohhh, nice to hear this from an American haha. Yeah I'm not surprised that there are different ones. It would be crazy to just have one type for a certain type of people. Also nice to know that the hazing isn't as mad as it seems? I think a lot of us Brits just go off of what we see in movies and tv shows haha.

lol yeah I'm not surprised :smile: I did a postgrad degree in England and spent a lot of time telling people to not believe everything they see in American movies and tv shows!
Reply 18
Um yeah I think so? Even if I didn't like the girls in my sorority, I'd rather stay there for free than pay rent lmao.

Don't know if it's free---there are annual membership dues that can be pretty expensive (like hundreds of dollars a year) and some of that might cover housing.
Reply 19
Original post by zigsun
lol yeah I'm not surprised :smile: I did a postgrad degree in England and spent a lot of time telling people to not believe everything they see in American movies and tv shows!

Aha we can be so gullible sometimes! Other than sororities do you have any other sort of society/groups that people can join?

Latest