The Student Room Group

Lied in interview and now they will probably find out...

So I had an interview with GS for Finance. I told them I have an offer for the big 4 company Auditing. However, my offer is in TAS. I don't know why I lied but I thought auditing will look better since its more related to Finance.

The HR woman called from GS ask about my compensation, job title etc. with the big 4 and I said my offer is in TAS because I was worried they will find out some other way.

Now I am so worried, what should I do????

I have an interview coming up with the HR department in a couple of weeks...
(edited 8 years ago)
Should've never lied. There's really nothing you can do except learn from your mistake.
Reply 2
Why would you say that TAS is definitely a better division. I'd be surprised if they cared, it's not like you were applying for IBD told them you had an offer from MS IBD when actually you had one for ops. I'd take the big 4 TAS over GS finance anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by fuuji
Why would you say that TAS is definitely a better division. I'd be surprised if they cared, it's not like you were applying for IBD told them you had an offer from MS IBD when actually you had one for ops. I'd take the big 4 TAS over GS finance anyway.

lol good luck to you mate :lol:

OP, money will be much better at GS than it is at Big 4
Reply 4
Original post by MAINE.
lol good luck to you mate :lol:

OP, money will be much better at GS than it is at Big 4

Yes starting salary will be higher at GS finance, about 36k vs say 28k at TAS. At GS finance he will be back office and his income will top out in the low six figures if he makes it to MD level say 150k at best. Even staying in TAS his entire time his income will eventually be higher then that significantly more if he makes partner. TAS has significantly more transferable skills then finance. If you go on the E&Y website Transaction Advisory Services does work in: Acquisitions, Disposals, Management buy outs, buy ins and capital raising, IPOs, take overs, mergers and strategic reviews. From there he can move to IBD after several years where he will make a **** of a lot more then being a in house accountant, regardless of the fact its at goldman.

Guessing you're a student whose never worked at an investment bank.
Original post by fuuji
Yes starting salary will be higher at GS finance, about 36k vs say 28k at TAS. At GS finance he will be back office and his income will top out in the low six figures if he makes it to MD level say 150k at best. Even staying in TAS his entire time his income will eventually be higher then that significantly more if he makes partner. TAS has significantly more transferable skills then finance. If you go on the E&Y website Transaction Advisory Services does work in: Acquisitions, Disposals, Management buy outs, buy ins and capital raising, IPOs, take overs, mergers and strategic reviews. From there he can move to IBD after several years where he will make a **** of a lot more then being a in house accountant, regardless of the fact its at goldman.

Agreed. In fact I'd say the TAS starting salary is a bit higher since 28K is what audit starts on, TAS might be 30K or so.

In both cases you'll end up with an accounting qualification but TAS is much better in terms of exit opportunities and it's more interesting work. Working in Finance at GS you'll just be an accountant doing the same reports day in day out. You'll hate your job and your life.
In fact I know someone who quit Finance at a Bulge Bracket bank to come and work in AUDIT (not even TS!) at a Big Four because they said that the work was just so incredibly dull, despite a marginally higher salary.
Reply 6
Original post by fuuji

Yes, you're right. I am a student with no investment banking experience whatsoever. Thank you for freeing me from the blindness of my ignorance and enlightening me. How can I ever repay you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending