The Student Room Group

UK Universities for MA in Social and Political thought?

Hi everyone, I'm an international student (Asian) looking to study master degree in field of social and political science or political thought, (I'm trying to avoid Political theory programs which have some core modules include Mathematics (political explanation&empirical analysis) which I'm totally awful at).

I've done some research through internet and found that there are Master program in Social and political thought at Birmingham, Sussex,Warwick, Leeds and Exeter. I hold UK equivalent 2:1 bachelor degree in Political Science and wish to pursuit an academic career at universities in my homeland. I don't have much information about MA.Social and Political thought in those universities because probably no one in my country ever apply the programs, but I know that those universities are really good and have high competitions.

What I'm really need you (as UK/EU students who absolutely have much better details than an Asian guy far far away) to help is to give me some opinion or advice about MA. Social and Political thought in universities I mention ed above, and which one is the best in term of reputation and academic staffs in the field, also which one is a good preparation for PhD.?

By the way, I'd prefer to stay out of London to avoid cost and crowd in a big city, I know that Queen Mary has one of the best program in UK with staff like Quentin Skinner, but my financial condition doesn't allow me to stay in London. Currently, I'm interested in MA. Political Thought at Exeter which would fit my requirement in term of living cost and interest. could you give some information about the program and university? I'm open for all opinion and suggestions, please help, i'm really desperated because no one in my country have in-dept details about the program. Thank you, I'm really appreciate for your kindness.

PS. My research interest are continental philosophy, political equality, comparative political thought, Kant's moral, Jacque Ranciere, for example.
Original post by Tivawarin
Hi everyone, I'm an international student (Asian) looking to study master degree in field of social and political science or political thought, (I'm trying to avoid Political theory programs which have some core modules include Mathematics (political explanation&empirical analysis) which I'm totally awful at).

I've done some research through internet and found that there are Master program in Social and political thought at Birmingham, Sussex,Warwick, Leeds and Exeter. I hold UK equivalent 2:1 bachelor degree in Political Science and wish to pursuit an academic career at universities in my homeland. I don't have much information about MA.Social and Political thought in those universities because probably no one in my country ever apply the programs, but I know that those universities are really good and have high competitions.

What I'm really need you (as UK/EU students who absolutely have much better details than an Asian guy far far away) to help is to give me some opinion or advice about MA. Social and Political thought in universities I mention ed above, and which one is the best in term of reputation and academic staffs in the field, also which one is a good preparation for PhD.?

By the way, I'd prefer to stay out of London to avoid cost and crowd in a big city, I know that Queen Mary has one of the best program in UK with staff like Quentin Skinner, but my financial condition doesn't allow me to stay in London. Currently, I'm interested in MA. Political Thought at Exeter which would fit my requirement in term of living cost and interest. could you give some information about the program and university? I'm open for all opinion and suggestions, please help, i'm really desperated because no one in my country have in-dept details about the program. Thank you, I'm really appreciate for your kindness.

PS. My research interest are continental philosophy, political equality, comparative political thought, Kant's moral, Jacque Ranciere, for example.

It obviously depends on your interests. Perhaps the best course in the world, all things considered, is Cambridge's Political Thought & Intellectual History. That said, QMUL have some outstanding faculty. As do, to a slightly lesser extent, St. Andrews. After that, faculty are a lot more dispersed. What are you interested in? If it was Kant's philosophy of history, Lea Ypi at LSE might be your first choice; if it was Locke's theory of toleration, then perhaps Tim Stanton at York; and so on. Your application will be far stronger if you apply based on a definite interest for a corresponding supervisor than if you apply on the strength of the faculty associated with the course.
Reply 2
Original post by wilson_smith
It obviously depends on your interests. Perhaps the best course in the world, all things considered, is Cambridge's Political Thought & Intellectual History. That said, QMUL have some outstanding faculty. As do, to a slightly lesser extent, St. Andrews. After that, faculty are a lot more dispersed. What are you interested in? If it was Kant's philosophy of history, Lea Ypi at LSE might be your first choice; if it was Locke's theory of toleration, then perhaps Tim Stanton at York; and so on. Your application will be far stronger if you apply based on a definite interest for a corresponding supervisor than if you apply on the strength of the faculty associated with the course.

Thank you for your recommendation, Wilson. I'm really appreciate and would take it into consideration. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending