Geography GCSE COASTS and RESTLESS EARTH Watch

physicsamor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, I am doing Edexcel GCSE geography B and I did this exam question, it was 8 marks + 3 marks SPAG can someone tell me what you think I would of got.
Question:
Examine the importance of destructive waves in the formation of coastal
landforms?

Destructive waves have a strong backwash but a weak swash, and henceforth have then power to cause erosion at a higher impact than constructive waves, the erosion it causes will lead to formations of coastal landforms.
Firstly, destructive waves can cause to a cliff to collapse, and the continuous destructive waves will lead to the collapsed debris, forming new land inland. The process starts when the wave power is more concentrated at the base of the cliff by cause of destructive waves, here abrasion occurs to form a wave cut-notch, the cliff overhangs above the notch. Since the overhanging cliff will become unstable, it will eventually collapse. The debris formed as a result will form new landscapes(?)

Destructive waves also our important in creating other coastal landforms, a large crack is opened by hydraulic action, the crack grows by hydraulic action and abrasion, thus the cave becoming larger. Over time, the cave will break through the headland to form an arch. As erosion contines the arch eventually collapses, this leaves a tall rock stack, the stack erodes due to the destructive waves to form a stump.

However, destructive waves are not only important in the formation of coastal landforms, the geology, also plays effect. For examples, soft rock structures such as clay are the least resistant and therefore erode the fastest. Adding on if the coast lies on a discordant coastline, then the layers of resistant sandstone and less resistant limestone are founds. Therefore it lets more easily waves to erode here to form bays, leaving the resistant sandstone as a headland.

I have to teach coasts to myself, some I am highly confused, and fore restless earth does anyone have any model 6 marks answers for guidance, I had to learn that one as well by myself, so I am confused on how marks are awarded
Malo_Bo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You need to discuss the importance more eg on caves, arches, stacks and stumps. But you clearly have a vast understanding on the main processes though.
physicsamor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Malo_Bo)
You need to discuss the importance more eg on caves, arches, stacks and stumps. But you clearly have a vast understanding on the main processes though.
Actually I have revised thoroughly and with a few minor tweaks to my first post, I handed in the question, scoring 8/8.

To get full marks you needed to talk about at least 2 coastal formations
Writing four in less detail would not have been enough, they question is about examining so make sure you talk about what other things are important in the role of coastal formations.
Hope I helped clear things up for you
Malo_Bo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Could I see the model answer it could help

Posted from TSR Mobile
physicsamor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Malo_Bo)
Could I see the model answer it could help

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the exam haha! Never have to learn about it again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%