The Student Room Group

Intelligence by degree

1. Maths
2. Natural Sciences
3. Computer Science: edit this should probably be higher than what I put it.
4. any humanity subject
5. medicine. yes its a hard course to get on to but all you need to do is do a bunch of volunteer **** and memorize a bunch of facts about chemistry and biology. you never have to think for yourself
6. languages
7. the party people. a.k.a. art/music students that dont have to do anything
8. engineering. Yes you can follow instructions like a robot and have no ability to think for yourself. no that does not make you intelligent.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ok... What does this list mean?
Because this is not biased at all coming from a prospective Maths applicant..
Reply 4
Your username is very fitting. You are a cancerous problem to this forum.
Reply 5
Original post by CancerousProblem
1. Maths
2. Natural Sciences
3. Computer Science
4. any humanity subject
5. medicine. yes its a hard course to get on to but all you need to do is do a bunch of volunteer **** and memorize a bunch of facts about chemistry and biology. you never have to think for yourself
6. languages
8. engineering. Yes you can follow instructions like a robot and have no ability to think for yourself. no that does not make you intelligent.

1. Languages
2. Sciences
3. Maths
4. History
5. Geography
6. Every other pseudoscience degree.

Why languages? Because in my view the language students are the most social, cultured and all rounded, who have both practical experience in the countries of the language they study, and a good understanding of the most important tool in the universe, communication, which is so important that every good and evil politician in the 20th century who made the world, did so because of it. What chance did a middle class boy like Hitler or Mussolini seriously have without their brilliant communication?
Original post by whorace
1. Languages
2. Sciences
3. Maths
4. History
5. Geography
6. Every other pseudoscience degree.

Why languages? Because in my view the language students are the most social, cultured and all rounded, who have both practical experience in the countries of the language they study, and a good understanding of the most important tool in the universe, communication, which is so important that every good and evil politician in the 20th century who made the world, did so because of it. What chance did a middle class boy like Hitler or Mussolini seriously have without their brilliant communication?

being social just means you can sympathize with morons. doesn't mean jack
most important tool in the universe 'communication' oh give me a break. thinking logically > communicating
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Did you really just make a degree bashing thread without Media Studies in it?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
being social just means you can sympathize with morons. doesn't mean jack
most important tool in the universe 'communication' oh give me a break. thinking logically > communicating

Your autism is showing my dear. I love art and science, but for me it is only a means of fun. Why else would anyone want to live in this world? Thinking logically will make you a manic depressive who makes boring threads like this one. Develop your communication, not everyone in this world is as boring as you are.
Original post by whorace
Your autism is showing my dear. I love art and science, but for me it is only a means of fun. Why else would anyone want to live in this world? Thinking logically will make you a manic depressive who makes boring threads like this one. Develop your communication, not everyone in this world is as boring as you are.

I laughed at this. Thanks for making my night less boring!
Reply 10
doesn't mean jack

What a silly thing to say.

Leornado Da Vinci.... he was all about communication. Do I need to say more?
The intelligent degrees are most of the traditional sciences, and a fair few humanities and social sciences which we're all aware of such as history, economics etc.

Beyond that is just a pointless jizzfest over trying to catagorise these.

You never have to think for yourself? Why don't we put this into practice:

A healthy 10-year-old girl noticed that she was losing a lot of hair every time she showered. She mentioned this to her mother several times over a few months. The mother didn’t see any change in her daughter’s hair until one morning when she was putting her child’s long blond hair into a ponytail, and saw for herself how much hair remained on her hands after this simple procedure. Watching her child get on the school bus later that morning, the mother noted that her daughter’s hair seemed much thinner. Worried, she made a doctor’s appointment for later that day.

Can you find the girls diagnosis in a textbook using only the information provided?

Stick to the sums, kiddo.
1. Maths
2. Natural Sciences
3. Computer Science
4. any humanity subject
6. languages

Hi, in my opinion it's medicine. Everyone can do the other degrees if they learn or dedicate enough time, e.g. sciences and maths (just learning methods and proving pointless stuff). However, medicine is not only the most intellectually demanding but it requires you to work under pressure, assess situations, empathise, apply your knowledge to situations which ACTUALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE to people's lives and more. Maths, anyone can do it, think of all those kids from china and hong kong who are all exceptional at maths but decide to choose medicine because of these factors, which I can confirm myself. I go to CSFC, full of asians, literally none are doing maths, most are doing medicine and they all have huge IQs. Why? Maths will just make you end up in a lab teaching or in a school, or if you want to go into business, then what's the point of learning so much maths? In medicine the careers prospects are massive, the salaries can reach millions annually and you will have massive respect all over the world wherever you go. Saying i'm a mathematician does not have the same ring to it as saying i'm a neurosurgeon. Saying this, if you are genuinely interested in maths, you should do it and what i've said should not bother you. Bye and don't be so arrogant. This might be biased.
P.S.
A kid from my school achieved a gold at the international physics olympiad, but he still wants to do medicine, hmmm, take from that what you will (medicine obviously is more challenging and well respected). Assume asians are the brightest kids around, on of the most subscribed courses in hong kong is medicine (100 applicants for one place), and my peers tell me maths is for those who couldn't get into an elite degree (med, law, business) there). So don't talk without justification.
N.B.
You don't need to do any volunteering, you can just read around the subject or such. Volunteering is what people who aren't aiming for Imperial/Cambridge do excessively. I'm just hoping to impress with my academics and sporting success.

Also, you should consider what you want to do after a maths degree, you can't stay in education forever unless you do a PHD.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Firestartc
Hi, in my opinion it's medicine. Everyone can do the other degrees if they learn or dedicate enough time, e.g. sciences and maths (just learning methods and proving pointless stuff). However, medicine is not only the most intellectually demanding but it requires you to work under pressure, assess situations, empathise, apply your knowledge to situations which ACTUALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE to people's lives and more. Maths, anyone can do it, think of all those kids from china and hong kong who are all exceptional at maths but decide to choose medicine because of these factors, which I can confirm myself. I go to CSFC, full of asians, literally none are doing maths, most are doing medicine and they all have huge IQs. Why? Maths will just make you end up in a lab teaching or in a school, or if you want to go into business, then what's the point of learning so much maths? In medicine the careers prospects are massive, the salaries can reach millions annually and you will have massive respect all over the world wherever you go. Saying i'm a mathematician does not have the same ring to it as saying i'm a neurosurgeon. Saying this, if you are genuinely interested in maths, you should do it and what i've said should not bother you. Bye and don't be so arrogant. This might be biased.

those kids from hong kong dont know how to do maths. they know how to do times tables in their heads quickly. that's not actual maths. That's just a skill, like juggling, that happens to help with maths. they're not actually good at maths. The people that are actually good at maths end up doing maths.
Yes because 1+1=2 requires So much more intelligence than working out how to solve the clean water, energy and food crises that will occur in 50 years... :tongue:

Maths Vs. engineering :wink:
The war continues :h:
Reply 16
1. Maths
2. Natural Sciences
3. Computer Science
4. any humanity subject
6. languages

Who sh** in your coffee today?
those kids from hong kong dont know how to do maths. they know how to do times tables in their heads quickly. that's not actual maths. That's just a skill, like juggling, that happens to help with maths. they're not actually good at maths. The people that are actually good at maths end up doing maths.

People who are good at maths, haha, my friend won an international physics olympiad gold medal, he wants to do medicine. That probably shows he's better at maths/ problem-solving than you kiddo.
Reply 18
Because you don't have a valuable definition of intelligence, the world will always have pointless discussions like this.

It's obvious that you're biased, as everybody else
physics olympiad =/= maths olympiad. The fact that you can't tell the difference between physics and maths yet want to assert your intelligence is worrying.
if he wants to do medicine, fine good for him. he's just one in a million money craving morons that want to do medicine, just another statistic
Original post by Firestartc
People who are good at maths, haha, my friend won an international physics olympiad gold medal, he wants to do medicine. That probably shows he's better at maths/ problem-solving than you kiddo.

Quick Reply

Latest