Electoral reform now irresistable Watch

MatthewParis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The arguments against electoral reform are now irresistable, given UKIP got about 12% of the vote and 2 MPs and the SNP got 7% of the vote and 57 MPs.

The system is broken. I am not so unhappy with the Labour result in terms of vote share vs seats, in the main battle of Cons vs Lab, the outcome generally reflected the votes (if the predicted Conservative 40% popular vote share is borne out)

Has anyone heard the rumours (mentioned on BBC about 15 minutes ago) that Cameron wanted to turn the Commons into an English parliament and the Lords into a federal parliament?
democracyforum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
also green party are getting screwed
Jemy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MatthewParis)
The arguments against electoral reform are now irresistable, given UKIP got about 12% of the vote and 2 MPs and the SNP got 7% of the vote and 57 MPs.

The system is broken. I am not so unhappy with the Labour result in terms of vote share vs seats, in the main battle of Cons vs Lab, the outcome generally reflected the votes (if the predicted Conservative 40% popular vote share is borne out)

Has anyone heard the rumours (mentioned on BBC about 15 minutes ago) that Cameron wanted to turn the Commons into an English parliament and the Lords into a federal parliament?
Yup proportional representation would be a more representative system for the UK. However, I doubt the new potentially majority Conservative government will advocate and push through with electoral reforms that could harm them. The key question and attention is now on the EU referendum if anything at all. Also there is a slight chance that the British economy will see a rapid decline again once the Tories restart austerity.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think reform does definitely need to go ahead, but if the Conservatives do get the majority then I really doubt it will ever happen over the next five years
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by democracyforum)
also green party are getting screwed
As are the Liberal Democrats, just like in every other election!
Jemy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In order to put it into figuress. UKIP gets 3.5m votes and barely a seat, while the SNP gets 1.5m votes and about 55 seats. Sounds fair.
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Party politics aside, our electoral system is rotten. Reform is desperately needed.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lol tories have a majority, that means they're gerrymandering the boundaries and going nowhere near any kind of electoral electal reform.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Prop rep is daft, but there are definitely better systems than FPTP.
Ness'B
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's unlikely to get another electoral reform. Conservative - Liberal Dem coalition agreement draw up that the alternative vote system should be used after 2010 election, but it was rejected by electorate so what makes you think the electorate will agree to a different voting system again...?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.46%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
19.03%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (51)
15.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (39)
11.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.21%

Watched Threads