The Student Room Group

Scotland has let us down

Because so many seats have been taken from Labour to SNP, we now face a Tory majority.
Well done Scotland, if it wasn't for your silly idealism Labour would have had a decent chance.

So frustrating.

Scroll to see replies

Labour let themselves down :wink:
Original post by Twinpeaks
Because so many seats have been taken from Labour to SNP, we now face a Tory majority.
Well done Scotland, if it wasn't for your silly idealism Labour would have had a decent chance.

So frustrating.

Labour, didn't campaign effectively enough to win a majority of English seats. After all, the Conservatives didn't make gains in Scotland.
Original post by SausageMan
Labour, didn't campaign effectively enough to win a majority of English seats. After all, the Conservatives didn't make gains in Scotland.

Labour made gains in England though, if we take scotland out of the equation completely then they've made a decent gain on 2010 (18 seats and a strong percentage of the vote share). If scotland had stayed red then we'd be talking 260/270 seats for Labour and a far tighter margin than it's going to end up being.

Still, the problem is that Scotland and England are just too different - if you did enough to keep scotland, you'd lose england.
Reply 4
They chose nationalism over solidarity. Simple as.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Labour made gains in England though, if we take scotland out of the equation completely then they've made a decent gain on 2010 (18 seats and a strong percentage of the vote share). If scotland had stayed red then we'd be talking 260/270 seats for Labour and a far tighter margin than it's going to end up being.

Still, the problem is that Scotland and England are just too different - if you did enough to keep scotland, you'd lose england.

Well, we could be going our separate ways after 2017 if the Tories get their European Referundum.
Reply 6
I completely agree.

Well done, Scotland. (Not.)

A lot of SNP voters there claim to care about scrapping the Bedroom Tax, banning zero-hours contracts, clamping down on tax avoidance, etc.

And yet, they irrationally voted for a party which couldn't deliver these policies, as opposed to Labour, who could.

Moreover, the sad fact is that most of the people who flocked from Labour to the SNP don't even want independence, yet they voted for a petty nationalistic party whose main objective is to get independence and draw more imaginary lines on the surface of this planet.

In a parallel universe, I might say that people who voted irrationally deserve everything they get in the form of increased poverty, an even harsher Bedroom Tax, and greater inequality. However, I personally believe that people shouldn't be punished for their mistakes, and I'm sorry for anyone, including myself, who will suffer under the Tories' disastrous policies for the next five years, and possibly longer.

If the SNP hadn't made their gains in Scotland over the past few months, then Labour could've put even more resources into England & Wales.
(edited 8 years ago)

So frustrating.

Actually going on the predictions, even if all the SNP seats were Labour, there'd still be a Conservative majority (that's what 'absolute majority' means in Parliament...).

So don't try and blame the SNP for the democratic outcome of the election. Even if all SNP seats were Labour or if SNP had a total pact with Labour - you'd still have a majority Conservative government.
Original post by Swanbow
They chose nationalism over solidarity. Simple as.

Civic Nationalism and a desire for Self-Rule. Scottish Labours Campaign, wasn't positive. Blair Mcternan (Jim Murphys Campaign Manager) praised the work of Thatcher and Murphy's just gave us threats to vote for his party. (I.E vote for me or get the other guy) Any way, I don't go much on Jim since he's a right wing Blairite who is a member of the Henry Neil Jackson Society. Which supports the Israel apparthied.

"Civic Nationalism versus Ethnic Nationalism: Civic and ethnic nationalism are the classifications to be used in this examination, but they are respectively analogous or highly similar to political, core or Western nationalism, and blood, peripheral, Eastern, or cultural nationalism. My argument is that civic and ethnic nationalism are not, as often presented, part of a dichotomy of nationalism set against one another but are two intermingling components of the one ideology and subjectivity of modern nationalism. The key distinction between the two is their focus, the point around which people begin to identify and imagine themselves as a community:4 that is, the inception of the national community relative to congruent state development and the conception of nationhood.The idea is that civic nationalism is exercised in those areas where there exists a civil society. That is, a group of people who feel they belong to the same community, are governed by law and respect the rule of law. The sovereignty of the people is located in the individual (the citizen) whose national identity is a sense of political community within a demarcated territory defining the social space that houses a culturally homogeneous group. It requires that people and territory must belong together, and that the people are in possession of a single political will. It demands that one must belong to a nation, which in turn belongs to a state, and an individual has the option of choosing which nation she/he wishes to belong to and enjoys legal equality along with the other members of the nation. National dignity is derived from the individual/citizen who in turn defines the national community. There is a government that respects the law, rather than existing above the law, which indicates that civic nationalism is complementary to liberal democracy. Being such, civic nationalism as a social movement is said to be more democratic than the populism of ethnic nationalism. The mass are more inclined to be incorporated into a high culture (via education), which gives them the same right of political decision as the elite. The role of the elite then is to manage (rather than crudely manipulate) the mass.Ethnic nationalism refers to nationalism as determined by descent. Attachments are inherited and not chosen, representing the exclusivist element of nationalism. Those groups who exercise nationalism clothed with the ethnic element are considered to be nations that have had to come to terms with the political developments of alternative civilisations elsewhere. Feeling the dominance and perceived superiority of these other nation-states (who would have their own demarcated territory that defines them), these more inferior-feeling groups may increasingly feel the need to become a part of this civilisation in order to survive, progress, modernise, and be successful. To achieve this and become equals in this new modern civilisation (as a part of the process of modernity), the people in these regions must unite as groups that would be politically recognised in the form of a nation-state. In the absence of institutions or other tools that may unite these people (such as class), these groups turn to themselves identifying their own unique characteristics that set them apart from foreigners in order to assert their sovereignty."
Reply 9
Original post by SausageMan
Civic Nationalism and a desire for Self-Rule. Scottish Labours Campaign, wasn't positive. Blair Mcternan (Jim Murphys Campaign Manager) praised the work of Thatcher and Murphy's just gave us threats to vote for his party. (I.E vote for me or get the other guy) Any way, I don't go much on Jim since he's a right wing Blairite who is a member of the Henry Neil Jackson Society. Which supports the Israel apparthied.

Jim Murphy aside, a lot of the Scottish Labour MPs who lost tonight were the bulwark of the Labour Left. Parliament and the Labour Party will be deprived by their absence.
This doesn't make any sense. The SNP is predicted to take all-but-one of the Scottish seats. If Labour had done so instead, it would not have helped the Tories at all.

Scotland's split from the official Labour party should be seen more as an internal Labour conflict, probably stemming from the fall of the Scottish Labour clique that governed the country for 13 years.
You moronic labour voters only have yourselves to blame.

England let the UK down as usual and by the looks of it, the results indicate that even if labour won every seat in scotland they would still lose to the conservatives.

Why should scotland vote for a party that doesnt represent them to appease you fools?
Original post by Labour BTFO
Labour let themselves down :wink:

Scotland has let no one down. Scotland is united against the career politician class and is clearly against austerity which the financial institution caused.

Labour on the other hand have been under poor leadership ever since Ed Millband came to power and kept Dinosaurs like Harriet Harman and Ed Balls in the shadow cabinet.

Its time to take back the Labour party.

Fair win to the Tories. I think a lot of people voted Tory because they clearly want out of the EU and want a strong leader who can drive the economy up.

I knew Tories would win anyway that is why I got drunk as a muppet.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Scotland has let no one down. Scotland is united against the career politician class and is clearly against austerity which the financial institution caused.

What do you think the SNP people are? They had a 20 year old as a candidate lmao
So your blaming people for having an opinion that affects you...
They can vote for whoever they want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So frustrating.

No, the Tories aren't in because the SNP did well, the Tories are in because Labour did ****.
Original post by Swanbow
Jim Murphy aside, a lot of the Scottish Labour MPs who lost tonight were the bulwark of the Labour Left. Parliament and the Labour Party will be deprived by their absence.

I'm not going to miss Margaret Curran (who attended a free dinner in honour of UK military arms contractors along with stabbing in the back Johann Lamont for the Scottish Leadership) or Anas Sarwar (a typical career politician, who's father threatened local constituents). However I probably will miss Danny Alexander and Charles Kennedy.
Original post by Labour BTFO
What do you think the SNP people are? They had a 20 year old as a candidate lmao

Marihi Black, is a terrific candidate. Shame she ousted Danny but this will probably give Labour, the kick up the arse it needs. To get its act together for the 2016 Holyrood Elections.
Scotland completely ****ed us over. They can leave if they want, they won't have 2 legs to stand on without us. They can go under :laugh:
There are no Lab/Con marginals in Scotland, so the SNP have not in any way increased the Tory majority. In fact, the big LD to SNP swing has done Labour a favour in reducing the size of the Tory majority.

So many lefties on this thread incapable of basic logic and maths. No wonder nobody trusts you with the economy any more when you can't add up.

Quick Reply

Latest