The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You are taking stolen money if you're on benefits.
I think it's a mixture of right-wing media sensationalism and genuine dislike for tax pounds being spent on other people.
Firstly if someone is better off on benefits it's not because benefits are to high, it's because wages are to low.

I have been on JSA and it's absolutely soul destroying. I'm currently on Tax Credits,

It would be easy to solve the this overbloaded benefit bill. Pay proper living wage of £10PH to everyone and build affordable social housing.
Original post by TheCasual MK2
Firstly if someone is better off on benefits it's not because benefits are to high, it's because wages are to low.

I have been on JSA and it's absolutely soul destroying. I'm currently on Tax Credits,

It would be easy to solve the this overbloaded benefit bill. Pay proper living wage of £10PH to everyone and build affordable social housing.

Very well said. :smile:
Because every other day, channel 5 or the partly government owned channel 4 show a "documentary" about some low life bad person on benefits abusing the system therefore the idiots think this is the majority and are happy to blindly go along with the tory mantra destroying everyone dependent on welfare be it short term unemployed or severely sick and disabled
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
It's not just towards people abusing the system. It's also towards those of us who aren't abusing the system who they think are.

...this
Original post by otester

lol says someone using the sun worship logo. ye i know what the all seeing eye really is.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
People have ill feelings towards those whom they see as abusing the welfare state because they're paying for it. That's pretty obvious and perfectly sensible.

People discriminate, positively and negatively, without realising it or on purpose. We all do it at least once.

If the TV, newspapers etc. keep showing you people on benfits, and it just so happens they're lazy, abusing the system, not completely disabled etc. and especially if they keep fitting a certain look, people are going to assume most, and therefore all, are the same, at least subconsciously.
Original post by otester

Only if we assume that taxation is theft rather than a necessity to keep a country running (military, public services etc. don't pay for themselves), although I'm guessing from your signature you're probably a tea party style anarcho-capitalist.
Original post by yoshibuster
One thing I don't understand is that people in this country always seem to make a big deal out of those claiming welfare. 'My hard working tax money' ' I don't want my preciously earned taxes going to single mothers', but do these people even pay attention to where ELSE their 'hard earned money' goes? You never hear them speak about it, it's just scroungers this, scrounger that...People like David Icke are right here, surely?

I mean why do people get so up in arms about someone on £50 a week on JSA, but they don't care if a rich, overweight, flabby politician spends some of their hard earned money on stuffing his face with sandwiches and kit kats each week? What about all those illegal wars your tax money paid for?

I have been on benefits before and also worked and it didn't bother me at all that I paid tax that went to help out single moms and those in desperation.

In a country that is still ruled by a monarchy, how can a guy claiming 50 quid a week or 300 quid a week housing benefit and eating tesco value noodles for dinner be your enemy?

The last time I checked, being a politician required working....

Oh and since when was it a crime to be rich?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rockrunride
Because people only care about themselves. The down-and-outs can stay that way. It's basic human instinct. People like scapegoating.

Relying on other people for money isn't selfish?
Original post by miser
When people say, "it's terrible our money goes to benefit scroungers," what they're really saying is, "we're better than these people."

and you think they're not?
Original post by billydisco
and you think they're not?

No, they aren't. Having a job doesn't make you a better person automatically.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Because every other day, channel 5 or the partly government owned channel 4 show a "documentary" about some low life bad person on benefits abusing the system therefore the idiots think this is the majority and are happy to blindly go along with the tory mantra destroying everyone dependent on welfare be it short term unemployed or severely sick and disabled

is that a left wing view i see pc principal? not in line with the rest of your views.

OP UK based heavily on the class system, it's a great way to control people. It's better anger is sent down rather than up. But welfare in this country is a joke.
It makes them feel superior.
The kind of people who do discriminate are the same people who call taxes 'my money' as if they chose to give their money to the government and are happy with it.

See what happens when you don't pay your taxes, because hey it's 'your money', nothing bad will happen...
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No, they aren't. Having a job doesn't make you a better person automatically.

If we are referring to those without a job, who are happy not to work (which most people tend to think of when one refers to "people on benefits") then a person with a job is a better person.
If we are referring to those without a job, who are happy not to work (which most people tend to think of when one refers to "people on benefits") then a person with a job is a better person.

Not if the person with a job molests children while the person without a job volunteers helping vulnerable people.

See how this works?
If we are referring to those without a job, who are happy not to work (which most people tend to think of when one refers to "people on benefits":wink: then a person with a job is a better person.

Ozzy has already given one way that's not true, but you're going to need to define better if you think employment status is what makes someone a good person or not.
These angry taxpayers rarely moan about having to contribute to the Queen's life of luxury.

Latest

Trending

Trending