Broken Election System

Watch
gulbenkian02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Do you think the system right now is broken? Whilst watching the coverage for the election, many people have said that the system needs to be changed in order to take vote shares into consideration rather than overall seats.

Do you agree? What do you think is a better system? Is it possible to have a different system?

If not, why do you think the current system is a good one?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think we should bring in either the Closed Party List or Single Transferable Vote

Posted from TSR Mobile
theroyalwhigs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I made a thread on my political viewpoints, and one of my ideas was that we should redraw constituency boundaries in order to keep our political system moving; I think we should move to a D'Hont system of political election.
Political Reform
I am royalist but reformist too. I think a shrunken House of Lords should be merged into the Privy Council, and the powers handed to the Royal Family. Instead of 'hiring' on heredity, it should be based on merit, a bit like the current Privy Council.
I also think parliament should have it's constituency boundaries redrawn, and elect itself on the D'Hont system.
Finally, I think everyone in the court system should be allotted.The government should have five tiers: Crown, Presidential Parliament, Judiciary, Bank, and Ombudsman; Bank and Ombudsman should have a 'troika' of heads appointed by Crown, Parliament and Judiciary.

I think we should keep constituencies as they represent local government in many ways. I'm also open to establishing a senate based on PR.
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I think we should bring in either the Closed Party List or Single Transferable Vote

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you ****ing mental?

I, even as a Conservative voter, think the case for STV is unanswerable. But closed lists are such a dreadful, awful, cronyist system I don't know how anyone could possibly support it.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rinsed)
Are you ****ing mental?

I, even as a Conservative voter, think the case for STV is unanswerable. But closed lists are such a dreadful, awful, cronyist system I don't know how anyone could possibly support it.
Bit harsh

I do prefer STV, but I guess CPL is fully proportional. However, thinking about it, it wouldnt work for GE, without ruining MP-Constituent links.

Out of curiousity, would you vote for STV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Bit harsh

I do prefer STV, but I guess CPL is fully proportional. However, thinking about it, it wouldnt work for GE, without ruining MP-Constituent links.

Out of curiousity, would you vote for STV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea sorry emotional morning.

Yes I would. It would hurt my party, but I believe in democracy first of all.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rinsed)
Yea sorry emotional morning.

Yes I would. It would hurt my party, but I believe in democracy first of all.
Completely understandable. Congrats on the majority. I won't lie and say I'm pleased, but the majority have got what they want and that's what matters.

That's good to see. Democracy comes above Political Parties

Posted from TSR Mobile
BobertXVI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think this election has proved how broken our electoral system is.

Greens get 1.1 million votes, and one seat.
UKIP get 3.8 million votes, and one seat.
SNP get 1.4 million votes, and 56 seats.

That means that an SNP vote is worth about 20x more than a UKIP vote.

In Scotland, less than 50% of the electorate supported the SNP, yet all seats bar 3 are SNP seats. Over half of Scotland are unrepresented by those they vote for.

Because of our awful electoral system, even the act of voting is often futile; the vast majority of this country live in safe seats, where, because of laxity or malice from our ruling classes, votes do not matter. The most important value of democracy, that everyone matters, that everyone deserves to have their voices heard.

This kind of crap will go on forever, unless something is done to change it. This election has shown that people care about politics; let's make the system work. Please, I urge you, call for change. Call for proportional representation.
Ness'B
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Omg we had the chance to change the voting system and it was rejected because the public disagreed

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads