The Student Room Group

Was the UK General Election 2015 was Rigged? (Poll)

Scroll to see replies

Not criminally but FPTP is a ridiculous system that belongs in the past.
Original post by SotonianOne
that's a different argument

you said businesspeople choose who is the government

that's a retarded idea

defiantly have an influence
Reply 62
Original post by Moosferatu
Not criminally but FPTP is a ridiculous system that belongs in the past.

I think we need to get away from the idea that there is some perfect system just waiting in the wings. FPTP has a considerable number of benefits, just as the absolute plethora of proportional systems have huge downsides.

Look at the Scottish Parliament, for example, under the Additional Member System. It can be gamed, as it was in Italy, if parties stand under different banners for the constituency and regional votes. At one point, Labour was hoovering up virtually all the seats in the Glasgow region, yet getting virtually nothing on the regional list because that is reduced to compensate for constituency results. They considered running only Co-operative Party candidates in the list, which would have left them with effectively several more MSPs. That's a huge flaw. Equally we have the situation where someone chosen to be on the top of a party list is almost impossible to vote out.

It's easy to shoot down what exists with vague references to what might replace it. It is more difficult to actually analyse what we have against the several possibilities that could replace it. In the end, I don't think it really matters that much in any case.
Which planet do you all live on? On this one in the Milky Way, as we call it, the UK is a Plutocracy & they fix things for their own benefit.
They make the mess, we pick up the bills. There is no such thing as demecracy & elections are rigged as Plutos think fit.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't agree that it was rigged as such, but I think there's something seriously wrong if a party can win a majority on just 37% and the SNP can win all but three seats in Scotland on just over 50% of the vote. To me, that just doesn't make sense, and it needs to be changed.
Wow 21 people actually think the election was rigged.
Original post by United1892
Wow 21 people actually think the election was rigged.

I think there was one constituency rigged and that was thanet south

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending