Sociology Exam HELP AQA Family & Household Watch

examstressFREAK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi i was just wondering what i would write in a Childhood essay. And social policies? Everyone is predicting them to come up, i'm revising everything else but i'm just wanting to make myself clear on these topics
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by examstressFREAK)
Hi i was just wondering what i would write in a Childhood essay. And social policies? Everyone is predicting them to come up, i'm revising everything else but i'm just wanting to make myself clear on these topics
Heya, I'm going to put this in the sociology forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=317
evekay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by examstressFREAK)
I wouldn't worry too much about childhood! I'm doing families and households on Tuesday as well, and I think the main thing to remember if a question on childhood comes up is how much it has changed, especially after industrialization.

Just remember that Phillipe Aries points out that in pre-industrialised society, children were seen as 'little adults' and there was pretty much no distinction between childhood and adulthood. He also points out that because of this, infant mortality rates were high, and it could be argued that childhood didn't really exist.

Another key researcher is Cunningham, who said that the 19th Century saw the social construction of childhood! (i'd remember that line personally!) He points out that during this time, children were looked at completely differently. He points out these main factors: Children were seen to deserve the right to have dependence on adults
They were seen to need protecting
They were banned from adult places such as bars and pubs
And they were seen to have the right to 'happiness'.
Remember there is considerable evidence against this though, as prostitution was still common in society until the turn of the 20th century when the legal age of sexual consent of 16 was introduced.

You can also mention how post-modernists might disagree with Cunningham because of new technologies and 'trends' that are so common nowadays. They argue that it is seen as 'trendy' to own the latest gadgets and the easy access to the internet, as well as openly publicized adult material on magazines that are available to view everywhere suggests that childhood is becoming almost pre-industrialised again as there is a decreasing distinction between what is available to children and adults!

Overall, the biggest difference to remember on a childhood question is that of pre-indstrialised society compared to today. Don't forget to include cultural differences and age differences, as these may also be contributing factors to childhood differences.
Jefferies et al. also point out how social class can effect childhood. He noted that children who had experienced poverty had fallen significantly behind their middle-class peers in Maths and Reading by the age of 7.

The Children Act of 2004 is also one to reference as that was put in place to ensure the safety, well being and successful future of children (I think).

Other researches that might be worth looking up for childhood:
Morrow
Gray
Warin et al.

Wishing everyone the best of luck with their exams!

P.S if anyone has any tips on remembering Social Policies and all of that then it would be much appreciated. I'm begging that childhood will be a 24 marker as that's the only topic I know well!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise