Alex Salmond's inability to drop it? Watch

Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Firstly can I just say congratulations to the SNP for the number of seats they've won. If Scotland genuinely want to leave, that's fine, although I think England should be able to vote to kick them out if they want/take away power from Scottish MPs on England but that's a matter for another thread. I am curious about something though.

From what I can remember when the independence referendum was held Alex Salmond stated it would be a once in a generation referendum.

Since then he's claimed Scotland might just leave without a referendum or that they will have another one very soon.

Tonight he claimed that "the Scottish lion has roared" and it was clear what the people of Scotland wanted. I just don't see the logic here. They had a referendum ffs, a direct vote on what Scotland wanted. I know it was a fairly close run thing but why does he keep on pushing Scottish independence so hard when it's so recently been voted against?

Is it just a case that it's so close to really be clear about the will of the nation and he hopes with another run at it the balance might tip just enough the other way? Equally though if he doesn't see the results of the previous referendum as a valid representation of the will of the people what if they only win by a very small majority. Would they still become independent based on it?

I'm sure this principle extends to a lot of the SNP but Alex Salmond sure shouts the loudest about it.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I understand your concern with the "repeat until you get the desired result" approach.

But if you consider that potentially over 50% of the population of Scotland of voting age voted for the SNP, a party built upon the desire for independence, you can see why it might be reasonable to suppose that there is increased appetite for independence.

Especially at the prospect of 5 more years with the Conservatives...
Dheorl
Rep:
?
I guess I like to believe people vote on a party based on more than one policy.

Tbh one thing which really annoyed me is the lion is the national animal of England. The Scottish nation animal is the unicorn, but I guess he would have sounded even more stupid if he'd said "the Scottish unicorn has roared".
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Scottish unicorn has whinnied.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Scottish Unicorn has gored.....? No, perhaps a little too graphic.

I agree that there is a single-issue element to SNP's success, but actually their progressive policies in general have struck a chord with the Scottish electorate.
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If Salmond loses another referendum he should be excluded from politics. He has caused to much uncertainty for the business in this country with his pointless policies as it is, to deny the vote of the Scottish people not once, but twice, is disgusting. Yes they voted for the SNP, but if they wanted independence they would have voted for it so stop pushing it.
babybuntin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Next time we hold a referendum l invite all of you from the south to come up and see how a nation have found a momentum, engaged and are now driven with adrenaline towards politics.

This is something the south really need to feel, then take it back home and learn from it.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They had their referendum and the people voted no, do people not understand how voting works or...?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1617489 people voted yes in last years referendum.

1454436 people voted for the SNP during the GE.

hardly a massive surge in support.
babybuntin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
and now the unionists have no answer... hahahahahaha to funny
babybuntin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it leaves the question.. what's next? hahahahaha
Dheorl
Rep:
?
(Original post by babybuntin)
and now the unionists have no answer... hahahahahaha to funny
I'm confused as to what's funny. No answer to what?
babybuntin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
They had their referendum and the people voted no, do people not understand how voting works or...?
oh l understand better than you how the voting works and the things that can go on.

We have half a nation right now in the south crying their eyes out about the election result,

We might be stuck with the Tories as well but you don't see us crying... Ask yourself why? or don't you understand how the voting system works.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (129)
24.02%
Pop (125)
23.28%
Jazz (24)
4.47%
Classical (29)
5.4%
Hip-Hop (99)
18.44%