The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History Superpower Relations 1944-90 (The Cold War) - Monday 8th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Do you think revising just 3 out of the 4 topics is too risky for part A? I am scared, only done Peaceful co-existence, Detente and Nuclear weapons?
Reply 41
To what extent was the Sino Soviet split a result of Stalin's death (1949-1963).. if you could just roughly structure an argument for me that would be great, I am really struggling with Sino Soviet, thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jae578
To what extent was the Sino Soviet split a result of Stalin's death (1949-1963).. if you could just roughly structure an argument for me that would be great, I am really struggling with Sino Soviet, thanks!

So this is essentially asking how far the change in personality caused the split. Id probably start with saying to only a limited extent, then start with a paragraph regarding the change from Stalin to Khrushchev and how Mao had based both himself and Chinas FP off of Stalin. Other factors may be the role of ideology eg: soviet revisionism, and conflicting national interests. However im not sure what id put under this considering that ussuri and czechoslovkia were post 1963
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeLisa55
Could anyone help with the structure of part B :frown:
I've been given a generic 'SCOE' structure, (S- source led argument, C- cross referencing, O-own knowledge, E-evaluation) but still find it hard to organise the essay, and find myself writing paragraphs which are pages long :s-smilie:

From what I've seen in examiner reports, that's what it's going to be like.
Reply 44
Original post by studdybuddy101
Do you think revising just 3 out of the 4 topics is too risky for part A? I am scared, only done Peaceful co-existence, Detente and Nuclear weapons?

I've done the same so I wouldn't worry! As long as you have a brief overview of the last section and you know the 3 you've learnt in good detail you should be okay :smile:
Reply 45
I'm convinced that detente and nuclear arms will come up for section A, but don't have any level 4/5 essay examples for detente - does anyone have any? The one in the 2013 examiners report only has an extract.
Reply 46
Anyone got any links for past papers? Also anyone think it's worth going over Sino-Soviet? My teacher seems adamant that either Detente or Arms race will come up :s-smilie:
I'm really struggling with a question on the Cuban Missile Crisis as a turning point in the Cold War. Any ideas?
Original post by samstown
I'm really struggling with a question on the Cuban Missile Crisis as a turning point in the Cold War. Any ideas?

This revision guide has some good points on it!
Reply 49
Original post by Jo-Ann
I've done the same so I wouldn't worry! As long as you have a brief overview of the last section and you know the 3 you've learnt in good detail you should be okay :smile:

I am doing the same.. my only concern is that they might mix a question like they have in the past with detente and Sino-Soviet or Peaceful Coexistence with Sino-Soviet which my teacher believes is possible.
For the sources question, how many paragraphs do you need to write and how many for/against the statement?? Or is there no set structure?
Thanks!
Original post by alexboulton
For the sources question, how many paragraphs do you need to write and how many for/against the statement?? Or is there no set structure?
Thanks!

3 paragraphs for the main body, and you should have a paragraph for counterargument. Look through the examiner reports for examples, its so helpful!
Original post by alexboulton
Thanks!

We do an introduction, a first paragraph based on the stated factor and the source which agrees with it, two more source analysis ones with the other sources, and a paragraph of own own knowledge which assess ignored factors and the like, then a conclusion.
Reply 53
anybody have any practice exam questions? for detente / arms race
Reply 54
I'm praying they don't mix factors like they did on the 2012 paper with Sino-Soviet/Detente, what a nightmare question. Also that same year it was on Eisenhower's policies which I think is a bit random - surely they can't do that with any of the other Presidents as there isn't enough own knowledge on their policies recognised in the textbooks?
[QUOTE=boldred;56622439]I'm praying they don't mix factors like they did on the 2012 paper with Sino-Soviet/Detente, what a nightmare question. Also that same year it was on Eisenhower's policies which I think is a bit random - surely they can't do that with any of the other Presidents as there isn't enough own knowledge on their policies recognised in the textbooks?

I don't think it was random. Eisenhower's policies were a part of peaceful coexistence. There seems to be a pattern - even years is sino soviet and peaceful coexistence, odd years are detente and nuclear arms race.

Even tho the 2012 question for sino-soviet linked to detente, it's still part of sino soviet
Reply 56
Original post by S.Mundane
I don't think it was random. Eisenhower's policies were a part of peaceful coexistence. There seems to be a pattern - even years is sino soviet and peaceful coexistence, odd years are detente and nuclear arms race.

Even tho the 2012 question for sino-soviet linked to detente, it's still part of sino soviet

Obviously his policies were part of peaceful coexistence, it just seemed weirdly specific to focus in on Eisenhower rather than look at the impact of Peaceful Coexistence as a whole. But then again, the examiners can't just put out the same questions, they have to rephrase and refocus.

If the pattern continues detente and nuclear arms...my teacher told me to ignore the pattern though. I'm hoping they keep it simple and go for nuclear arms as a stabilising factor, and whether or not detente was successful. That is probably overly optimistic though!
[QUOTE=boldred;56623825]Obviously his policies were part of peaceful coexistence, it just seemed weirdly specific to focus in on Eisenhower rather than look at the impact of Peaceful Coexistence as a whole. But then again, the examiners can't just put out the same questions, they have to rephrase and refocus.

If the pattern continues detente and nuclear arms...my teacher told me to ignore the pattern though. I'm hoping they keep it simple and go for nuclear arms as a stabilising factor, and whether or not detente was successful. That is probably overly optimistic though!

A lot of history this year has been self taught for me. My teacher is rarely in and rarely ever replies to her emails. So I'm really hoping for simple questions.
If the pattern continues, what does everyone think could come up about nuclear weapons and detente?

I have a feeling that because last year's questions were more simple, this year's may be a bit more complicated. Maybe something about Carter being responsible for the downfall of detente or economic problems. And for arms race, maybe something about Cuba.
Original post by boldred
I'm praying they don't mix factors like they did on the 2012 paper with Sino-Soviet/Detente, what a nightmare question. Also that same year it was on Eisenhower's policies which I think is a bit random - surely they can't do that with any of the other Presidents as there isn't enough own knowledge on their policies recognised in the textbooks?

Was that the Sino-US relations promoting Détente?

If so's simple: how Sino-US relations forced Soviets into compliance due to triangular diplomacy and a fear of a Sino-US pact.

Then after that, argue other factors promoting Détente such as nuclear parity, economic weaknesses etc. etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending