What is the difference between fractional distillation and simple distillation? Watch

FuryBall
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello!

Im currently studying for my end of year exams (Im in year 9), and am revising for different separating techniques.
I came across fractional distillation and simple distillation and would like to know the difference and their details.

Thank you!
KatsuoK
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From what I understand, fractional distillation is where you have a mixture of many things that all have different boiling points, like crude oil, for example, and it's boiled so that the mixture of compounds turn into gases and rise to the top of the column. Depending on their length/weight, the condense at different distances away from the bottom, and so similar length chains are collected together.
I think simple distillation is where you only want to separate the products from the reactants, and it doesn't matter that you're left with a mixture of products.
FuryBall
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by KatsuoK)
From what I understand, fractional distillation is where you have a mixture of many things that all have different boiling points, like crude oil, for example, and it's boiled so that the mixture of compounds turn into gases and rise to the top of the column. Depending on their length/weight, the condense at different distances away from the bottom, and so similar length chains are collected together.
I think simple distillation is where you only want to separate the products from the reactants, and it doesn't matter that you're left with a mixture of products.
Thanks for your reply.

I did some more research and found out that the main difference is that simple distillation is the method used to separate substances in mixtures with significantly different boiling points, while fractional distillation is used for mixtures containing chemicals with boiling points close to each other.

Do you/anyone know actual substances with different boiling points and mixtures containing chemicals with boiling points close to each other?

Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads