The Student Room Group

Been admitted to MSc. at LSE and Cass, can't decide.

Hey guys,

I need some advice on what school to I should choose for my MSc. My career goal is to break into investment banking and from that perspective LSE has a better reputation.

Unfortunately, I didn't get into a finance/economics masters at LSE, instead I got admitted to MSc. in Economic History, which doesn't involve a lot of preparation for a banking career but I will be able to pick some optional courses that are leaning more towards that industry.

So that was my first choice. Secondly, I have also been admitted to MSc. in Corporate Finance at Cass Business School. It is of course ideal when it comes to the actual courses and learning - but like many has written in this forum before - it is not a target school.

So my dilemma is; choose the most appropriate programme for my career choice or the school with the best reputation around banks?
Also, bare in mind that if I were to go ahead with LSE I am not worried about not learning enough to prepare for a career in banking, as I have a genuine interest for finance and will devote much of my spare time to pratice valuation models etc.

Thanks so much for your help :colondollar:.
Original post by Garfield123
Hey guys,

I need some advice on what school to I should choose for my MSc. My career goal is to break into investment banking and from that perspective LSE has a better reputation.

Unfortunately, I didn't get into a finance/economics masters at LSE, instead I got admitted to MSc. in Economic History, which doesn't involve a lot of preparation for a banking career but I will be able to pick some optional courses that are leaning more towards that industry.

So that was my first choice. Secondly, I have also been admitted to MSc. in Corporate Finance at Cass Business School. It is of course ideal when it comes to the actual courses and learning - but like many has written in this forum before - it is not a target school.

So my dilemma is; choose the most appropriate programme for my career choice or the school with the best reputation around banks?
Also, bare in mind that if I were to go ahead with LSE I am not worried about not learning enough to prepare for a career in banking, as I have a genuine interest for finance and will devote much of my spare time to pratice valuation models etc.

Thanks so much for your help :colondollar:.

Do you have any contacts with people in the banking sector? They are probably the best people to give you advice in this - also reasons why no one on TSR has given any advice. Investment banking is such a huge sector as well so getting to know more about the 'ins' would certainly benefit landing you your ideal job.

If you've not got any contacts, I'd recommend having a look at the recruitment pages for different banks / companies and seeing what they look for in potentials. Though it might all be the vague wishy-washy stuff, look out for various key terms and phrases that might be of an indication to you.

LSE definitely has a great reputation but also bear in mind the course. If you're a lot less keen on this course then are you going to enjoy your (one year?) course at all? Being at an amazing university doesn't mean an amazing experience. You might end up really hating your course and this negative energy will affect other things in turn too. Cass may not have such a great reputation but if the course interests you then it's a good reason to enroll.

And have you visited the schools before? It would be a good idea to get a 'feel' for what it is like there. Also putting yourself in touch with current students/alumni would also give you an insight into how others are using the courses for their careers.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi,

I don't know is it relevant for UK, but I give you an answer for russian labor market. In our case more important to have a prestige university in CV. Because hr-managers at investment banking look for candidates from TOP's universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending