The Student Room Group

Bones stick out... shall I gain weight?

I'm a 17 year old female. I weight 57kg and I am 5ft7-5ft8.

I was just wondering if I should gain weight even though I am not overweight but in fact a healthy BMI. The thing is my collarbones stick out A LOT... also to the point where my shoulders are pointy due to bones sticking out. This can't be healthy or normal.

I'm thinking of getting up to 60kg? Is weight gain necessary if not underweight?
Reply 1
That seems like a healthy weight, but if you are unhappy with it you can gain weight. Just don't go crazy with it and eat healthy food to gain, not rubbish.
If you have very visible bones then you probably are storing a bit of excess fat elsewhere but also lack muscle which results in you being "normal weight" but not having optimal health.

The optimal thing to do is lose fat, gain muscle. That way you lose the bones sticking out and you lose the fat.
Reply 3
Original post by LTG
That seems like a healthy weight, but if you are unhappy with it you can gain weight. Just don't go crazy with it and eat healthy food to gain, not rubbish.

Yeah, I will eat healthy...

j
Reply 4
Original post by TorpidPhil
If you have very visible bones then you probably are storing a bit of excess fat elsewhere but also lack muscle which results in you being "normal weight" but not having optimal health.

The optimal thing to do is lose fat, gain muscle. That way you lose the bones sticking out and you lose the fat.

I have recently gained weight (about 2kg from healthy eating) and the weight has gone straight to my boobs and hips… which is odd as it normally goes to my stomach. I don’t have high body fat, I have some fat on my belly like most women but my legs are quite muscular naturally. If I gain muscle won’t I look skinnier?Its so weird because I know anorexics that don’t have bones sticking out like me
Its probably just the way your body is built, i ve gained about a stone since i was 17, i m now 20 and any weight i put on does mostly go straight to my hips and bum. apparently my body fat is in the athletic range but my bmi is 20, kind of just accepted my body will only gain the weight in the areas it wants to.
obviously
Original post by Anonymous
I have recently gained weight (about 2kg from healthy eating) and the weight has gone straight to my boobs and hips… which is odd as it normally goes to my stomach. I don’t have high body fat, I have some fat on my belly like most women but my legs are quite muscular naturally. If I gain muscle won’t I look skinnier?Its so weird because I know anorexics that don’t have bones sticking out like me

You will look skinnier but less bony if that makes sense... I dunno, you can't be that skinny though based on your BMI. Either way muscle gain is never unattractive and it's always healthy so I'de at least give that a go if you're concerned about how you look - and inevitably you'll gain some fat from then as you go along since you need to eat a caloric surplus to gain muscle as it is.
Reply 8
Just because you don't have visible fat doesn't mean you have zero fat. A lot of fat is stored internally too which you can't see.
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
Its probably just the way your body is built, i ve gained about a stone since i was 17, i m now 20 and any weight i put on does mostly go straight to my hips and bum. apparently my body fat is in the athletic range but my bmi is 20, kind of just accepted my body will only gain the weight in the areas it wants to.

Hmm.. its weird because I used to be just like you.. till a few months ago. I would gain weight in my hips and bum and have small boobs. Then suddenly, my boobs got abit bigger and now my hips are 2 inches smaller. No idea why this is happening!
Original post by TorpidPhil
You will look skinnier but less bony if that makes sense... I dunno, you can't be that skinny though based on your BMI. Either way muscle gain is never unattractive and it's always healthy so I'de at least give that a go if you're concerned about how you look - and inevitably you'll gain some fat from then as you go along since you need to eat a caloric surplus to gain muscle as it is.

BMI is not very useful tbh, I do look quite skinny.

Thanks for the advice though :smile:
Original post by bittr n swt
obviously

I was just wondering because my BMI is healthy... so most would say I should not gain weight if its healthy
Original post by djpailo
Just because you don't have visible fat doesn't mean you have zero fat. A lot of fat is stored internally too which you can't see.

I probably don't have lots of internal fat as I am abit active and I eat healthy 95% of the time.
Hmm.. its weird because I used to be just like you.. till a few months ago. I would gain weight in my hips and bum and have small boobs. Then suddenly, my boobs got abit bigger and now my hips are 2 inches smaller. No idea why this is happening!

That is a bit strange I guess you could try and gain muscle on your hips/legs through exercise but your metabolism sounds pretty fast so make sure you up your eating if you decide to do that
I was just wondering because my BMI is healthy... so most would say I should not gain weight if its healthy

BMI is not an accurate way of assessing if you're healthy or not.
I have friends who are over 6ft and their BMI says their overweight where they clearly are not...

Quick Reply

Latest