Cameron steals Australian Labour line

Watch
MatthewParis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In describing his victory as the "Sweetest victory of all", Cameron was basically repeating verbatim what Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating said after winning the 1993 election (in very similar circumstances, in terms of being expected to lose and pulling off a famous victory).

Just another sign of the Lyntonisation of English politics. Keating's speech was actually quite good. Go to 4:20 and listen for a few minutes; Keating was a superb politician, genuinely a man of vision and he was able to convey the complexity of international macroeconomics, of why the economy is important, to ordinary people in ways they could understand. He would be considered Blairite by English Lab standards, but he was a great PM

I wish Cameron had enough faith in the British people to speak like this, rather than patronise his audience
Smug Life
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
>Someone used a common four word phrase that was also used by a politician on the other side of the world, 22 years ago.
MatthewParis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smug Life)
>Someone used a common four word phrase that was also used by a politician on the other side of the world, 22 years ago.
It's not a common four word phrase, in fact I've only seen it used twice. I very much doubt it's a coincidence given Lynton is running the Conservative campaign.

It would be as familiar as if someone said "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

It's a good turn of phrase, I can see why he used it, but pretending it's original is a but laughable
Dilmurod Dilmu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He stole a line! That evil man!
MatthewParis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dilmurod Dilmu)
He stole a line! That evil man!
It's not evil, I'm just pointing out it's not original. Keating was a superb political communicator, and he has some great material.

I was simply pointing out the origin of the phrase. Given this is a political forum, I presume some political geeks are interested in this type of stuff. IF you're not, that's cool; horses for courses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (572)
34.29%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (687)
41.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.5%

Watched Threads