The Student Room Group

Questions about becoming a SEN Teacher

Hi, Well I am not sure where to put this but I guess on this forum you are in the best position to answer my questions.

So I am currently working full time as a support worker for disabled adults in their forties and fifties in a residential setting. I have worked there since August 2013 and I have learned so much but I feel like it is time to move on, I have been offered a job as a Learning Support Assistant at a College for autistic young people aged 19-24 which is closer to where I live and I am looking forward to starting when my DBS comes back.

However, I still have the feeling that I would like to go to Uni and be a SEN teacher at some point in the future. Is there any way to become a specific special educational needs teacher through doing a particular course? Loads of people have told me that it is a career that would really suit me including my current manager and she has said that I could return to my role as a support worker but on a part time basis if I wanted while studying.

I have no issues regarding UCAS points as I went to sixth form after finishing school and completed my A Levels with an A and 2C's at the end. I then went straight to a local college and did a BTEC National Diploma in Children's Care Learning and Development for 2 years and got triple distinction. I have a lot of primary and nursery school experience from doing the course and so have a silly amount of UCAS points! I went straight to my current job after finishing college. I did not apply to uni when at sixth form or college partly because I really lacked confidence and did not think I was good enough at anything and partly because I did not know what I wanted to do.

So anyway. sorry it is long- I am now 21, almost 22 and although I have been working full time I have not stopped studying. I have completed a Health and Social Care Level 3 course at work which took a lot of time and I am now doing a part time Open University module in Counselling (for interest), I am due to start an Advanced Certificate in Autism studies at Birmingham Uni in September, part time and distance learning. This course in only 1 year.

However, I would like to go to Uni full time in a year or two and I would love any suggestions of courses towards becoming a SEN Teacher and advice about appropriate next steps- thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest