Rupert Murdoch - how much did media play in this election?

Watch
Tawheed
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want a debate, i want to see both sides present their view points.

But here's something for you all to read: "In July 2011 it emerged that Cameron met key executives of Murdoch's News Corporation 26 times during the 14 months that Cameron had served as Prime Minister.[67] It was also reported that Murdoch had given Cameron a personal guarantee that there would be no risk attached to hiring Andy Coulson, the former editor of News of the World, as the Conservative Party's communication director in 2007.[68] This was in spite of Coulson having resigned as editor over phone hacking by a reporter. Cameron chose to take Murdoch's advice, despite warnings from Nick Clegg, Lord Ashdown and The Guardian.[69] Coulson resigned his post in 2011 and was later arrested and questioned on allegations of further criminal activity at The News of the World, specifically the News International phone hacking scandal. As a result of the subsequent trial, Coulson was sentenced to 18 months in jail.[70]"

Tawheed
Rep:
?
Keith Rupert Murdoch /ˈmɜrdɒk/,[8] AC, KCSG (born 11 March 1931) is an Australian American business magnate. Murdoch became managing director of Australia's News Limited, inherited from his father Sir Keith Arthur Murdoch in 1952.[6][9] He is the founder, chairman and CEO of global media holding company News Corporation, the world's second-largest media conglomerate, and its successors News Corp and 21st Century Fox after the conglomerate split on 28 June 2013.[10][11][12][13]

Tawheed
Rep:
?

Xin Xang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This election was clearly one fought on character rather than policies.

People saw Miliband as an incompetent leader, for what are largely superficial reasons, and that was what clinched it.

If the Labour party had gone for someone with more "leader like qualities", I'm sure they would have had far more successful.
Falcatas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't really believe in the democratic system but it is hilarious to see that those who do, judge the electorate as fickle children who get their mind warped by big bad Rupert Murdoch.

Idiots such as Russel Brand are who I mean.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Falcatas)
I don't really believe in the democratic system but it is hilarious to see that those who do, judge the electorate as fickle children who get their mind warped by big bad Rupert Murdoch.

Would it be fair to go to either extreme? Surely media does have an influence, a powerful one - it's great for fear mongering. Are we all expected to believe people suddenly decided that the Tories have the best philosophy?

Look at the power of the media in Nazi Germany, in the pro-war drum beating in America etc

Falcatas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tawheed)
Would it be fair to go to either extreme? Surely media does have an influence, a powerful one - it's great for fear mongering. Are we all expected to believe people suddenly decided that the Tories have the best philosophy?
All the parties have a despicable philosophy that relies on agression against others. That being said I guess they decided to choose the least worst option.

People are mistaken when believe the media influences people, it rarely does.
People buy newspapers to confirm their already existing prejudices.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People are mistaken when believe the media influences people, it rarely does.
People buy newspapers to confirm their already existing prejudices.
I used to buy the Times because I felt it contained quite liberal views, but it actually came out in support of the Conservatives - very much so. They don't always go in the direction you expect. Or maybe I've been deluding myself :rolleyes: I was shocked to read the articles in it during the week.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
(Original post by seaholme)
I used to buy the Times because I felt it contained quite liberal views, but it actually came out in support of the Conservatives - very much so. They don't always go in the direction you expect. Or maybe I've been deluding myself :rolleyes: I was shocked to read the articles in it during the week.
I also saw a pro-tory paper in a labour area. They're pretty smart, and it doesnt hurt to have a media mogul on your side.
username1331498
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I very much doubt that there are people who change their political views because of a "media bias". I would hope people aren't that easily influenced..
seaholme
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EatAndRevise)
I very much doubt that there are people who change their political views because of a "media bias". I would hope people aren't that easily influenced..
It's not people's political views that change per se, but the facts that can make people change one way or another. For instance for a lot of people the economy was a big deal in this election. I've read articles that very strongly blame the previous Labour government for virtually the whole crash and make a persuasive argument that they would have continued spending.

I've also read articles in equally prestigious places by equally creditable people saying that actually if we'd gone with the Labour plan in the first place (invest and spend to incentivise the economy) that our economy would be much larger now and we could actually pay off even more of the deficit because we wouldn't have had years of stagnant decline. And of course that at the time pre-crisis, the Tories would have spent exactly the same as Labour because at that time money was free flowing. They never opposed an inch of it, they were just fortunate enough not to be 'in' when it happened.

If my political view was "the economy is important to me", which is not unreasonable, then whichever perspective was presented most in the media would be the fact I used to inform my opinion.

I don't think people change their political views in an airy-fairy way either, but at the end of the day the information itself is a very significant factor. Especially on the economic side, where it's all hypothetical - I mean we can never know if what the Tories did for the economy was actually the best route. There were two logical routes which had some merit. But the word in the media is constantly that labour mis-spent, over-spent blah blah. That does affect what people think and how they vote.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
In my humble opinion, we must realize the power of the media, especially when it comes to scaremongering. If you look at how media can control much of public opinion, we need to look no further than Nazi Germany.

I read newspapers daily and even i was partly frightened at the scaremongering. I could easily see people influenced.
Nice.Guy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think, unfortunately, most people in the country are easily influenced by the media. You only need to look at all those anti-UKIPpers to see evidence of that.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nice.Guy)
I think, unfortunately, most people in the country are easily influenced by the media. You only need to look at all those anti-UKIPpers to see evidence of that.
As much as i dislike UKIP, i have got to admit, the media have had a good smear campaign on them. I don't want them to ever get into power with all due respect, but it's pretty clear what the media have done. Maybe they were afraid UKIP would take votes from tories?

Although, UKIP are pretty extreme in my own books, putting aside the medias bias.
Olie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

He may be an irritating tit at times and the way he went back on his no-voting stance just day before the election was just ludicrous, but he's no idiot, he does his research and I think you underestimate the fickleness of some of the people in this country and the influence of the media, I think the way the public has turned on immigrants and people on benefits in the past few years somewhat shows the influence the papers still have in this country on the way people think. I don't deny Labour probably lost the election based on personality, but I do think the brutal fear and smear campaign of some of the papers directed at Ed and Labour played some part in winning the Tories their majority and swaying the minds of undecided voters.
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
People talk about the right-wing press. They don't mention that the most partisan paper in this campaign was the Daily Mirror.

The fact is people buy right wing papers. Don't like it? Tough. It's like how all these Guardianistas have spent the last day complaining that democracy fails the poor and how the electorate are evil *******s.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rinsed)
People talk about the right-wing press. They don't mention that the most partisan paper in this campaign was the Daily Mirror.

The fact is people buy right wing papers. Don't like it? Tough. It's like how all these Guardianistas have spent the last day complaining that democracy fails the poor and how the electorate are evil *******s.
Again, we are going on one extreme. This is is what i dislike about debates, to counter the opposition we present an extreme strawman of their view, to make it seem ridiculous.

I'm talking from experience when i say i genuinly saw fear mongering by the press. Rupert Murdoch and his representatives met cameron 26 times in 18 months, and Murdoch owns a media empire spanning from sky news to fox news.

The electorate are not evil, and no this is not a conspiracy theory, it's basic human psychology and the impact of media on the population.

Was it all the media's fault we have a tory government? - no

Did the media have some part - a notabable part among other factors - yes.
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tawheed)
Again, we are going on one extreme. This is is what i dislike about debates, to counter the opposition we present an extreme strawman of their view, to make it seem ridiculous.

I'm talking from experience when i say i genuinly saw fear mongering by the press. Rupert Murdoch and his representatives met cameron 26 times in 18 months, and Murdoch owns a media empire spanning from sky news to fox news.

The electorate are not evil, and no this is not a conspiracy theory, it's basic human psychology and the impact of media on the population.

Was it all the media's fault we have a tory government? - no

Did the media have some part - a notabable part among other factors - yes.
The media are in hock to their readership, not the other way round. They support the views they think will please their readers. Yes Murdoch hates Milliband (although he was very sympathetic to Blair, and even Brown up to a point), but they supported the SNP in Scotland simply because they saw the way the wind was blowing, and didn't want to push off their readers.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rinsed)
The media are in hock to their readership, not the other way round. They support the views they think will please their readers. Yes Murdoch hates Milliband (although he was very sympathetic to Blair, and even Brown up to a point), but they supported the SNP in Scotland simply because they saw the way the wind was blowing, and didn't want to push off their readers.
While you have spoken an element of truth, i do think these companies run by Murdoch definitely do go to his own agenda.

This is the same man whose SUN hired Katie Hopkins.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
62.08%
I don't have everything I need (91)
37.92%

Watched Threads