The Student Room Group

Aqa mest1 official thread may 2015

Thought I would start a thread for this years exam - don't think there are many of us doing AQA AS media studies but we'll see! How's everyones revision going, any prediction on what the unseen clip will be??
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Thank you!
Original post by ASlevel911
Thought I would start a thread for this years exam - don't think there are many of us doing AQA AS media studies but we'll see! How's everyones revision going, any prediction on what the unseen clip will be??

No idea what it'll be, I'm retaking this paper as I only got a C in it last year, I haven't started revising for it yeet though :/ how you revising?
Reply 4
Original post by MeganGrimes125
No idea what it'll be, I'm retaking this paper as I only got a C in it last year, I haven't started revising for it yeet though :/ how you revising?

I havent started either - have too much to do for other exams! Probably just going to learn key definitions & read previous mark schemes etc
I havent started either - have too much to do for other exams! Probably just going to learn key definitions & read previous mark schemes etc

Yeh I'll probably do that and just read over theories and my case study, it's so difficult to revise when you don't even know what it's going to be on
Reply 6
Original post by MeganGrimes125
Yeh I'll probably do that and just read over theories and my case study, it's so difficult to revise when you don't even know what it's going to be on

Yeah exactly! Im going to know my case study really well to make sure im gaurenteed most of the marks - i think unseen image is on a moving image btw! Why did u get a C last year - did you not revise before? Any tips going in the second time?
Yeah exactly! Im going to know my case study really well to make sure im gaurenteed most of the marks - i think unseen image is on a moving image btw! Why did u get a C last year - did you not revise before? Any tips going in the second time?

What is the best way to revise your case study. I've tried so many times and no matter what the information just won't stay in. How are you revising your case study and the different theories?
Hi I was just wondering if you had any tips for section B as I'm dropping loads of marks there??
Does anyone have any predictions for what the unseen clip will be? They usually create the paper around December time (I think..?) so anyone know of any clips that were important then?
Original post by osnapitzsim
Hi I was just wondering if you had any tips for section B as I'm dropping loads of marks there??

Include lots of examples, always try to link it into institution (profit) or audience, include quotes and statistics
The first part is going to be based around a moving image, how are people revising section 1, I try and do practise questions for it but it doesn’t help that I’m not very good at analysing the products
Reply 12
I have made flashcards on each section-
cinematography, editing, sound and mise en scene,
try to remember the ones which you see most in adverts and and tv.
Secondly, as the exam is Friday when I watch tv or videos on youtube I analyse them in my head seeing if I can identify any editing cuts, sounds, etc.
Although I am very scared of this exam, I have no idea what to expect!!!!
Reply 13
Original post by bonniemelton
I have made flashcards on each section-
cinematography, editing, sound and mise en scene,
try to remember the ones which you see most in adverts and and tv.
Secondly, as the exam is Friday when I watch tv or videos on youtube I analyse them in my head seeing if I can identify any editing cuts, sounds, etc.
Although I am very scared of this exam, I have no idea what to expect!!!!

Yeah thats what I've done - apparently the exam was written around 6 months ago so we should look out for adverts etc that were released then - any ideas ???
Reply 14
I have no idea, my teacher said that AQA have to get permission from the companies to use their adverts or tv programme so it will be from a British company most likely.
My teacher said she had a feeling it might be a short clip reality show, she's been a marker for Media Studies for years as well but that could be a guess so not focusing to much on it.
Any tips for cross media?
Hey, I'm one of the few actually studying media! Over the past few years that have just focused on moving image clips, so I wouldn't be surprised if they give us a text on print platform. Although for our exam we have to be put in a different room because we need to watch the unseen text so I would say it's going to be something like slides to a website page, or just an advertisement or opening sequence. It's really hard to pedicure what they will give us!
*predict
my teacher also said there is a chance they could give us a podcast or a clip form a radio show
Reply 17
Hey, can anyone give me some tips for section B as i still don't have a case study. Thank you i am in desperate need of help :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Ozpoppet
Hey, can anyone give me some tips for section B as i still don't have a case study. Thank you i am in desperate need of help :smile:

Are you serious.. Our exam is in less than 24hrs!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ozpoppet

Try focusing on a topic that you enjoy (especially as you don't have much time now!). For me, I'm looking at music in particular (kerrang etc) and as my backups I have fashion/beauty (big fat gypsy wedding) and book adaptations (harry potter). Just remember to look up key theorists (Todorov, Katz, Propp etc) and use key words! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending