Are beauty pageants objectifying to women?

Watch
db_F40
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
No

Beauty contests are not harmful to women because unlike children, they have a choice. They actually are helpful because they raise self-esteem and confidence. And besides, why is being beautiful and taking care of yourself something to be ashamed of? Is it just because ugly and/or overweight people are jealous? Why not use the beauty queens as examples to set goals for yourself? If you think that you're overweight and/or ugly, you should try to find some way to become more self-confident. Maybe try beauty contests.

Beauty pageants are suppose to made to entertain, if a girl has low self esteem and low confidence its not the pageants falt, chances are the girl had those issues way before she watched a beauty pageant, i feel pageants offer girls a chance to chase there dream and any one can participate in it.

Please share your thoughts

Thanks
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The problem with objectification is not that female beauty shouldn't be recognised but that when a woman lacks it, any other virtues or skills she has tend to be overlooked. Case in point: my stepmum, highly competent musician and solicitor, keeps getting sacked for being a bit tubby and not the best looking (middle-aged mind)
It's_Ailie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The problem is, what about the girls who lose? What about their self confidence, the ones that are turned away, the ones that don't quite cut it as 'beautiful' enough? Some confidence boost that is; that will tear them down.

The other problem is, even with the winners, this so called 'self confidence' it gives them is transparent. It's based on one materialistic aspect of life that can drop at any moment - if somebody else is suddenly the new it girl, then what are they left with? They've lost that confidence and haven't had much of a chance to develop any other sort of self confidence as their whole life has been wrapped up in these beauty contests. I know this isn't the case for every single person who enters beauty contests, but this is the kind of culture they can promote. One where beauty is placed above other qualities.

That's my thoughts on them anyway. I think they have a danger of creating unrealistic standards and that they promote a culture centred around beauty alone, which is quite shallow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
undine_monty
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my opinion, beauty pageants teach young girls that they can only succeed, if they're pretty and that's not true. They can succeed with their brains, alone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.21%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.03%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.03%
I need help with my personal statement (68)
42.77%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
23.9%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.89%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
8.18%

Watched Threads