Ocr philosophy and ethics thread 2015 Watch

Loyale
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How well pepped are you guys for Monday?
Do you have any predictions for the questions?
Any question predictions?
ellie98
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ugggggg not very pepped at the moment, I don't think!

I'm doing medical ethics, equality, human relationships all in the viewpoint of Christians
then peace and justice for Islam

our teacher is almost certain that the d/e question for peace and justice will be about social injustice/justice just because it hasn't come up for the last 4 years and the exam board are required to test all the parts of their course at least every 4 years.

also got an inclination that the medical ethics will have a d/e question about cloning because that has never been tested in the essay questions

Im hoping that in equality one of the essay questions will be about Christian attitudes to other religions, the whole exclusivist, inclusivist and pluralist thaannggg... Perfect to write an essay about

i will probably cry if human relationships has a long question about sex in marriages...
Loyale
Rep:
?
I've not revised any of those topics that might come up and I'm doing all the topics on Islam, the teacher taught all the units on Islam except for the equality one which was on Christianity...but I'll do that one in islam too...I'm Muslims so it fine
But my handwriting is atrocious in essay exams and I don't know if my structure will work and get me full marks for e questions

I've been doing
Opinion
Conservative Muslim view
Liberal/modern/progressive view
Other view point
Conclusion

When they want explained points what do they mean, does it mean you have to say "because"or the effect it has , or do they want quotes???
ellie98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Loyale)
I've not revised any of those topics that might come up and I'm doing all the topics on Islam, the teacher taught all the units on Islam except for the equality one which was on Christianity...but I'll do that one in islam too...I'm Muslims so it fine
But my handwriting is atrocious in essay exams and I don't know if my structure will work and get me full marks for e questions

I've been doing
Opinion
Conservative Muslim view
Liberal/modern/progressive view
Other view point
Conclusion

When they want explained points what do they mean, does it mean you have to say "because"or the effect it has , or do they want quotes???
The e question structure I've been taught is
introduction
agreement with statement
disagreement with statement
conclusion

plus personal opinion weaved into my answer

we follow the PEELO structure
so for a 'prisons are a waste of money' paragraph, you could write

Point - some Muslims do think that prisons are a waste of money
Explanation - because they believe that prisons will not reform a prisoner, they can be full of luxuries etc, and they are not a good enough deterrent
Evidence - it says in Islamic religious scripture 'as to a thief, cut off his or her hand', meaning that other forms of punishment should be used, such as cutting of their hand if they are a thief. This acts as a better deterrent and they will be reformed because they have been shown how serious their actions were.. Etc
Opinion - I disagree with this viewpoint because I think that it is immoral to physically hurt someone for their actions ... NB I usually just say the most obvious thing, because tbh I don't really have a viewpoint about lots of the topics

hope this helps
Loyale
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellie98)
The e question structure I've been taught is
introduction
agreement with statement
disagreement with statement
conclusion

plus personal opinion weaved into my answer

we follow the PEELO structure
so for a 'prisons are a waste of money' paragraph, you could write

Point - some Muslims do think that prisons are a waste of money
Explanation - because they believe that prisons will not reform a prisoner, they can be full of luxuries etc, and they are not a good enough deterrent
Evidence - it says in Islamic religious scripture 'as to a thief, cut off his or her hand', meaning that other forms of punishment should be used, such as cutting of their hand if they are a thief. This acts as a better deterrent and they will be reformed because they have been shown how serious their actions were.. Etc
Opinion - I disagree with this viewpoint because I think that it is immoral to physically hurt someone for their actions ... NB I usually just say the most obvious thing, because tbh I don't really have a viewpoint about lots of the topics

hope this helps
Oh, thank you!!! It seems more effective than my one and I think I might practise an essay...is it easy to chunk it up like me or is it easier to get 12 marks with the peelo structure? If you have the faintest idea...its cool if you don't, well thanks anyway...
ellie98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Loyale)
Oh, thank you!!! It seems more effective than my one and I think I might practise an essay...is it easy to chunk it up like me or is it easier to get 12 marks with the peelo structure? If you have the faintest idea...its cool if you don't, well thanks anyway...
You could just apply the PEELO structure to the one you've already mentioned, and for each viewpoint do 1x PEELO paragraph
mske sure to include at least 2 viewpoints
evielsmith
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a feeling cloning or animal is going to come up, definitely the worst topics
MP_1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I forgot to write the number of booklets i used in today's exam. I used one booklet but will anything happen marks wise.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but i panic alot
misterhog
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lads, for the ethics on tuesday do we have to remember quotes for each of the applied topics (euthanasia, abortion etc.) or do we remember quotes of the theories and apply them to the given topics? for example Paul stated that "the body is a temple" which obvs goes against abortion or would we do something like 'The primary precepts which Aquinas noted as "self evident" go against abortion as it averts the precept to 'Defend the Innocent'', any ideas?????
blessan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does Natural Law count as a Religious Ethical Theory? (Please say it is)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (155)
52.01%
No (143)
47.99%

Watched Threads