The Student Room Group

Does anyone regret doing a PGCE/Becoming a teacher?

In September i'll be entering my final year of university doing a computer science degree and I need to think about what i'll like to do afterwards. I'm currently working as a software developer for a blue chip company during a placement year. I find what I do ok, but I don't find it fulfills me or is my calling in life.

I'm thinking of becoming a secondary computer science teacher. I took a weeks vacation in January to shadow lessons at my local secondary school. I really enjoyed it, learning about what the pupils did and talking to them about programming and careers in IT. I left the week thinking I would love to be a teacher. However, as time passed i'm starting to have major doubts...i think i'll make a pro and con list:

Pro -
Really rewarding job, varied work compared to my current job, I love working with young people.
Great new curriculum.
Helping kids learn programming.
Able to teach anywhere in the UK and lots of international schools abroad which could be fun to do in my career.
Job security and for my subject, not a huge amount of competition.
Summers off.
Working in a classroom rather than sitting in front of PC all day
I think it'll be a great challenge.

Con-
Terrible pay considering what I could earn in private IT sector...house prices are so expensive these days.
Workload sounds excessive.
Having to take work home.
Opportunity cost of a career in IT.
I'm generally quite a shy person, sometimes get social anxiety, not good at presentations.
Teacher bashing/people think i'm "giving up".

Just wondered if anyone can relate to this. Are there any recent teachers on here who could have pursued a career in industry but chose teaching? Do you regret the decision? I'm stuck at a crossroads, it's such a big choice I need to make. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Being a teacher isn't a real job imo
I am in exactly your shoes OP. I would blummin love to be a teacher and loved my observation days in my old school and I can't think of anything that would be as fun as teaching.

But when I think of the horror stories it makes me reluctant and I've been thinking along the lines of this cycle for years.

I'm trying to get a teaching assistant role at this stage. I'm also telling myself that if/when I eventually do get round to teacher training/teaching that if it's only a short term job of a couple of years for me then there's no shame in that because financially and personally I would hope that even a short term career in teaching would be worthwhile in a worst case scenario.

Still one helluva leap though isn't it.
Original post by James E Walker
Being a teacher isn't a real job imo

You're so right. Working 60 hour weeks educating the youth of the nation in order to enable them to succeed in life is more like a hobby.

In fact, we teachers should really be paying the government, not the other way around.
Original post by TraineeLynsey
You're so right. Working 60 hour weeks educating the youth of the nation in order to enable them to succeed in life is more like a hobby.

In fact, we teachers should really be paying the government, not the other way around.

Well your pay is more like pocket money than an actual wage. :smile:

Is that why you think it's not a real job? We don't earn the big bucks, therefore teaching isn't a real job?
Teaching is a wonderful career; every day is different.

It's tiring and you get the normal 'you only work 9 to 3' crowd but, yes, I can highly recommend it.

Good time management means you can minimise work you take home but you will still work long hours. Preparing lessons, marking, reports, meetings and all the admin are vital if you are going to be a good teacher. It does become easier after a few years but a good school will support you at the start of your career.

I love seeing students develop as people as well as mathematicians ... good teachers change lives for the better.
(edited 8 years ago)

How much does a teacher earn then?
Around £24k or £27k~ in London. :lol:

https://www.atl.org.uk/pay/pay-scales/teachers-maintained-inner-London.asp

That's the starting point ... a good teacher will be promoted quickly and earn FAR more than that.

Be thankful that someone wanted to teach you ..
Reply 9
Around £24k or £27k~ in London. :lol:

Funny because if we didnt have these so called "People who failed at achieving" you wouldnt have any investment bankers in the world.

I love how you're assuming its easier to teach economics then to become an investment banker. FYI investment banking is a competitive field but its not restricted to economics grads. Becoming a teacher is less competitive yes but if you think being a teacher is a stress-free/easy job you're ignorant. You simply cant compare the two.

I feel sorry for your teachers, teaching you would be tough if you have that sort of view considering you view them as Failures who cant get a real job

Im not a teacher, nor do I plan to be. Thats simply because I dont have the patience or ability to become one. I respect most teachers/Trainee teachers so much because they're dedicating their live to educate young people and help them achieve their dreams. Its really a shame we have people like you with that view considering all the work they do and the stress they go through.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79

Be thankful that someone wanted to teach you ..

Hehe.
Reply 11
Original post by Just Josh
In September i'll be entering my final year of university doing a computer science degree and I need to think about what i'll like to do afterwards. I'm currently working as a software developer for a blue chip company during a placement year. I find what I do ok, but I don't find it fulfills me or is my calling in life.

I'm thinking of becoming a secondary computer science teacher. I took a weeks vacation in January to shadow lessons at my local secondary school. I really enjoyed it, learning about what the pupils did and talking to them about programming and careers in IT. I left the week thinking I would love to be a teacher. However, as time passed i'm starting to have major doubts...i think i'll make a pro and con list:

Pro -
Really rewarding job, varied work compared to my current job, I love working with young people.
Great new curriculum.
Able to teach anywhere in the UK and lots of international schools abroad which could be fun to do in my career.
Summers off.

Con-
Terrible pay considering what I could earn in private IT sector...house prices are so expensive these days.
I'm generally quite a shy person, sometimes get social anxiety, not good at presentations.

Just wondered if anyone can relate to this. Are there any recent teachers on here who could have pursued a career in industry but chose teaching? Do you regret the decision? I'm stuck at a crossroads, it's such a big choice I need to make. Thanks :smile:

Interesting; we are in the same field.

One of the things you listed is one of the things that prevented me to go teaching full-time, and that is:

What you get in the IT sector is multipale times more than what you get from teaching.

But you are also right, working in an IT sector can be un-fulfilling but a paycheck is a paycheck. However, I need to stress that I still get those feelings where I ask myself "how long will I work here!" or "Ergh ... this is getting routine!"; if it wasn't for the paycheck, I'd probably have left a long time ago.

(Or maybe it's just the Monday blues I'm feeling)

Your Pros are also pretty accurate - I was a tutor before so I can relate.

Pro -
Great new curriculum.
Summers off.

Con-

Check the http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1483118&page=312PGCE thread to get insider views on the training year and check the NQT thread to get insider views on the year after your training.

I also suggest you check the Secret Teacher series on the Guardian to see some anonymised views of teachers. And also check the stats: there seem to be a quite high rate of people leaving in profession within 5 years and similarly high rates of people not completing their first year.

Just like for anything else, do you research and decide for yourself.
Reply 13
I taught on a placement whilst at uni. Biggest regret in my life.

James Walker, are you just plain trolling?

You're not even an investment banker. Or even a teacher.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55524679&highlight=

on this thread you claim to be a "Regular Middle Class White 19 Year Old.

So thanks for trolling. You're 19 years old - you can't be an investment banker. You can't be a teacher. You've probably never seen the inside of an investment bank. I did a pre- internship at bank of america merrill lynch and trust me, the people I met at my week teaching at a school far outweigh any gain of working with those arrogant, competitive people who would eat each other to get a job.

In fact, you're the exact reason why there's "Teacher Bashing" on my con list.
Reply 14
I wasn't trying to start a teacher bashing debate but I do really appreciate the honest replies. What I liked about my time at the secondary school was the support teachers had for each other. The trainee teachers on here seem to complement this nicely. It's pleasing to see so few people actually doing teaching regret their decision. Thanks for the links and advice, it's been an interesting read!
Haha, interesting indeed!

The only time I regret my decision to change careers is when I'm sitting doing work on a Sunday.

Not once have I ever second guessed choosing to teach while standing in my classroom full of kids. It's like being a parent of 30, with all the highs (and some of the lows!) that go with it.
Yes, the way I see it is teahcers wouldn't be able to hold down a proper job therefore resort to teaching.

Wow :lol: "Proper" job?!

You talk about teaching like it's easy. I'd love to see some people try and teach, it's hardly something absolutely anyone could do.
Original post by Cobalt_
Are you serious?!

Teachers basically create the next generation. They build the future scientists and doctors of the world. It's shameful they're disregarded like this, so unappreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many teachers get such a bad attitude problem with this type of thinking. Their head goes right up there arse thinking there a touch above others. Fact of the matter is there are loads of people with degrees out there now that would gratefully take there job in an instant if offered. There not the sole intellect these days surrounded by a sea of uneducated plebs. Its why teacher training courses and jobs are so over subscribed.
I think that unless teaching is your absolute passion and what you can imagine doing for a long time they the answer is no. They way I see it is: if you were passionate about something, the 'cons' wouldn't deter you. It's a tempting option because it's a solid job with decent pay but if it's not what you live and breath for then it's just as pointless to pursue it as any other job you're not passionate about. Whatever it is that sparks you - chase that first, then if you succeed - great, if you don't that is the time to start making compromises.
You guys are getting so trolled. No rich, happy investment banker is gonna spend his weekends on the internet winding people up.

Pro -
Great new curriculum.
Summers off.

Con-

I can't offer much advice on teaching, but it does seem that half of your cons list is based on worry about leaving a more lucrative industry. In my experience, working just for the money in a job you dont enjoy, is pretty soul-destroying. Some people do manage it, but I couldn't. (I'm a compSci graduate too, and not working in tech cos I disliked it so much).

Latest