rachel.h
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a teacher and I love my job. That's it.

I am, however, inclined to agree with aforementioned douche bag James E Walker, when he says that teaching is not a 'proper' job. It isn't. Not if a 'proper job' is going to work, doing the work and then coming home. Teaching takes up a massive part of my life and free time. (But hey, that's my choice.)
Dancatpro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TraineeLynsey)
and even more ignorant than you already are. .

Already a great comment but that made my day xD
James E Walker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by welcometoib)
youre sounding stupid mate, ive seen you post relatively intelligently on the spring week thread, dont spoilt it. which ibd summer btw?
I'm a VP at a BB, post university.
James E Walker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Just Josh)
James Walker, are you just plain trolling?

You're not even an investment banker. Or even a teacher.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...679&highlight=

on this thread you claim to be a "Regular Middle Class White 19 Year Old.

So thanks for trolling. You're 19 years old - you can't be an investment banker. You can't be a teacher. You've probably never seen the inside of an investment bank. I did a pre- internship at bank of america merrill lynch and trust me, the people I met at my week teaching at a school far outweigh any gain of working with those arrogant, competitive people who would eat each other to get a job.

In fact, you're the exact reason why there's "Teacher Bashing" on my con list.
I'm a 19 year old VP, I graduated when I was 11
risteard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TraineeLynsey)
Is that why you think it's not a real job? We don't earn the big bucks, therefore teaching isn't a real job?
He's a child, ignore him. A skill I learnt through teaching other people's kids...
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Many people regret it, yes.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
See what I'm thinking is even if I lasted five years or even a tad less in secondary school teaching I'd still feel that had been constructive: I'd have earnt more money than I could otherwise and finally found out through experience if teaching was for me. If it went Pete Tong I'd still want to do something teaching related anyway in a college perhaps.

The above makes me think I should go for it because career hopping has never bothered me before. On the other hand though I hear horror stories that scare me into thinking that when it's bad it's bad day in day out.

I suppose the dilemma overall is that even choosing to do the pgce is such a commitment and feels like a decision not to be taken lightly. Like even though the 9k fees and maintenance loan don't need to be paid back until you earn 21k it still feels like a big daunting step.

Maybe the only answer is to just go for it but I hear so many people talking in a "stop the ride I wanna get off" kind of way.

Mega dilemma.
Veggiechic6
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stop feeding the troll people. It's obviously starving for the attention you're all giving it. We all know the people who say things like that have probably never set foot inside a classroom since they were kids, therefore their opinion on the job of teaching isn't worth listening to. Let's get back to the actual topic of this thread before it was derailed. I'm a PGCE student. Early days for me but no regrets so far.
risteard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm eight years in. Teaching has it's ups and downs like every other job. However, unlike many other jobs you are unlikely to feel these same emotions within an hour of each other. I'd recommend it to people, not for the lazy however.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
James E Walker, typical money-driven idiot.

"you dont earn as much moneyz as super rich bankers,so your career is worthless hur de dur".

Moron.
thisistheend
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Just Josh)
In September i'll be entering my final year of university doing a computer science degree and I need to think about what i'll like to do afterwards. I'm currently working as a software developer for a blue chip company during a placement year. I find what I do ok, but I don't find it fulfills me or is my calling in life.

I'm thinking of becoming a secondary computer science teacher. I took a weeks vacation in January to shadow lessons at my local secondary school. I really enjoyed it, learning about what the pupils did and talking to them about programming and careers in IT. I left the week thinking I would love to be a teacher. However, as time passed i'm starting to have major doubts...i think i'll make a pro and con list:

Pro -
Really rewarding job, varied work compared to my current job, I love working with young people.
Great new curriculum.
Helping kids learn programming.
Able to teach anywhere in the UK and lots of international schools abroad which could be fun to do in my career.
Job security and for my subject, not a huge amount of competition.
Summers off.
Working in a classroom rather than sitting in front of PC all day
I think it'll be a great challenge.

Con-
Terrible pay considering what I could earn in private IT sector...house prices are so expensive these days.
Workload sounds excessive.
Having to take work home.
Opportunity cost of a career in IT.
I'm generally quite a shy person, sometimes get social anxiety, not good at presentations.
Teacher bashing/people think i'm "giving up".

Just wondered if anyone can relate to this. Are there any recent teachers on here who could have pursued a career in industry but chose teaching? Do you regret the decision? I'm stuck at a crossroads, it's such a big choice I need to make. Thanks
Do what pays more. Boring is good. Stressful is bad. Get a life. Teaching is not it.
Esmeralda4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ignoring the blatant trolling... I'm coming up to the end of my pgce and have a job for September. It's hard at times and you really shouldn't underestimate the amount of work. BUT it is the best job! No day is the same and I'm never bored. No regrets here!
Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thisistheend)
Do what pays more. Boring is good. Stressful is bad. Get a life. Teaching is not it.
I'm still able to have a very active social life whilst being a teacher.

OP, the job is stressful, yes, but so utterly rewarding.

But you have to be entirely dedicated to it, because those bad days would destroy you if you weren't 100% committed to teaching.

I would be lying if I said I had enjoyed the PGCE entirely, and I would be lying if I said that there weren't times when I really questioned what I was doing. But I look forward to work every day, I look forward to teaching something I'm passionate about, I look forward to just getting a simple thank you at the end of the lesson.

There was a lesson in one of my year8 classes where a girl hadn't volunteered an answer for a question all term, and then she put her hand up to answer the question and I was so proud and that just made me want to teach even more.
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by risteard)
I'm eight years in. Teaching has it's ups and downs like every other job. However, unlike many other jobs you are unlikely to feel these same emotions within an hour of each other. I'd recommend it to people, not for the lazy however.
Can you share us the highs and the lows?
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Samus2)

But you have to be entirely dedicated to it, because those bad days would destroy you if you weren't 100% committed to teaching.

I would be lying if I said I had enjoyed the PGCE entirely, and I would be lying if I said that there weren't times when I really questioned what I was doing. But I look forward to work every day, I look forward to teaching something I'm passionate about, I look forward to just getting a simple thank you at the end of the lesson.
What are some of the worst things you've to overcome?
Samus2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
What are some of the worst things you've to overcome?
I think my own self confidence has been my biggest issue - When I started my training in 21, I had only graduated from uni 2 months previously and I was the youngest one on my course.

I spent a long while at the beginning of the course wondering whether or not I would be any good at it because it does a take a while for you to find your feet. I was TERRIBLE when I first started teaching, and now I'm on track to receiving outstanding on my final report which is awesome.

I also had to learn to not take things personally - I spent a good few evenings crying over the way a pupil had treated me in my first placement, but, then I asked myself - why am I letting a 13 year old girl make me cry? And I had to learn that 99.9% of the time, a pupil will not spend ages thinking over what they said to you and whether or not it upset you.
Ritterschaft
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James E Walker)
Being a teacher isn't a real job imo
They just do it for the holiday
risteard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Can you share us the highs and the lows?

Umm...i teach social sciences A level

Kids achieving
Helping them to see the world how it is and not how they are told it is
Witnessing when a kid understands something for themselves
Enabling them to get into uni/work
Banter with the kids
Banter in the staffroom, joking about we are just about hanging on in there
End of term drink ups

Lows
Increasingly manegerial management
Surveillance
Competition in FE sector
Working out of hours -don't do much if this anymore
Working way out of subject - or not have a job
Being part of a casualise workforce - common in fe these days
Not being paid over the holidays when hourly paid
Blagging through something you know nothing about but are being forced to teach
thisistheend
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Samus2)

There was a lesson in one of my year8 classes where a girl hadn't volunteered an answer for a question all term, and then she put her hand up to answer the question and I was so proud and that just made me want to teach even more.
lets see how you feel after 4 years. 50% quit in 5 years. I did not take up NQT after PGCE, got out early. been doing some supply but trying to leave that too because job is too unreliable.
Samus2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thisistheend)
lets see how you feel after 4 years. 50% quit in 5 years. I did not take up NQT after PGCE, got out early. been doing some supply but trying to leave that too because job is too unreliable.
No need to be pessimistic - teaching is something that I can see myself in for a long time. Why didn't you take up the NQT?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%