10%
A few Lib Dem -> Labour (2)
20%
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone think some of the remaining Lib Dem MPs in marginal seats will defect to either Conservative or Labour - depending on who came second?

After what we've seen today, it wouldn't surprise me to see Lib Dem further reduced to perhaps 4 seats.
ridwan12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
Does anyone think some of the remaining Lib Dem MPs in marginal seats will defect to either Conservative or Labour - depending on who came second?

After what we've seen today, it wouldn't surprise me to see Lib Dem further reduced to perhaps 4 seats.
None. They have time to build up their reputations in their constituencies come to 2020.....
jamestg
Rep:
?
(Original post by ridwan12)
None. They have time to build up their reputations in their constituencies come to 2020.....
Fair enough. It seems unimaginable how they are going to build up their following for at least another 10 years.
ridwan12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fair enough. It seems unimaginable how they are going to build up their following for at least another 10 years.
It can be done, UKIP has shown it up until this election whereby the tories put all their effort into seats like south thanet.

They need to focus on local elections and move left wing to scoop up labour votes in the south west for example. It's been done and they can do it again.
jamestg
Rep:
?
(Original post by ridwan12)
It can be done, UKIP has shown it up until this election whereby the tories put all their effort into seats like south thanet.

They need to focus on local elections and move left wing to scoop up labour votes in the south west for example. It's been done and they can do it again.
I'm doubtful.

Side note - Although the Conservatives won a majority, something I'm really happy about, there is a sense of remorse towards the Lib Dems. I do truly feel sorry for Nick Clegg, his party and his voters.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The FPTP system really does favour the Conservatives and Labour.

You look at the 2010 election where Lib Debs got 6.8mil votes (23%) but only 57 seats compared to the Conservatives who got 10.7mil votes (36%) but a massive 307 seats.

Same with this 2015 election - UKIP got 3.8mil votes (12.6%) but only 1 seat compared to Conservatives who got 11.3mil votes (37%) but a huge 331 seats.
ridwan12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doubtful.

Side note - Although the Conservatives won a majority, something I'm really happy about, there is a sense of remorse towards the Lib Dems. I do truly feel sorry for Nick Clegg, his party and his voters.
I think now the "purge" has occurred, and rightly so, their betrayal over tuition fee's while be forget with the loss of Nick and time out from government. I think they've learnt their lesson from being too weak in government. If they had rejected the bedroom tax etc then they may have done much better.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No.

I suspect they'll start building again relatively quickly, probably getting 20+ seats in 2020.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (78)
18.98%
Labour (202)
49.15%
Liberal Democrats (57)
13.87%
Green Party (26)
6.33%
Brexit Party (5)
1.22%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.73%
SNP (8)
1.95%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.73%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.46%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)