Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A particle is moving with speed 10ms-1 in the direction 3i - 4j, find its velocity vector

I don't know how to link each variable?

The magnitude will be 5

s = distance/t
    v = displacement/t

What do I do???

t = distance/speed
    t = 5/10

????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ps1265A)
    A particle is moving with speed 10ms-1 in the direction 3i - 4j, find its velocity vector

I don't know how to link each variable?

The magnitude will be 5

s = distance/t
    v = displacement/t

What do I do???

t = distance/speed
    t = 5/10

????
    Okay can you please post the original question, as your explanation is a bit unclear. The thing is the person who wants to help won't be able to, and might not even bother and then you won't receive any help.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Since the magnitude of the vector is 5, it represents a speed of 5ms-1, in the given direction.

Divide the vector by 5, and it will represent a speed of 1ms-1.

Then multiply it by 10, and it will represent a speed of 10ms-1. Done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagafacea1)
    Okay can you please post the original question, as your explanation is a bit unclear. The thing is the person who wants to help won't be able to, and might not even bother and then you won't receive any help.

I already posted this above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Since the magnitude of the vector is 5, it represents a speed of 5ms-1, in the given direction.

Divide the vector by 5, and it will represent a speed of 1ms-1.

Then multiply it by 10, and it will represent a speed of 10ms-1. Done!
    Why does a magnitude of 5 represent a speed of 5?

ReputationRep:

I already posted this above
    No it was the part after that that confused me, because you said the speed is 10, which I assumed is the magnitude, but then you said the magnitude is 5, and I didn't know what you were talking about. It's probably my fault. Anyways, ghostwalker provided you with the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Why does a magnitude of 5 represent a speed of 5?
    Because what you want to do is to make the vector have a magnitude of 1, so that when you multiply by 10 it doesn't change the magnitude of the vector. Also you can ignore that part, it doesn't really matter what it represents; all you want to do is to normalize (like making a unit vector in the direction of) 3i-4j.

ReputationRep:
    Because what you want to do is to make the vector have a magnitude of 1, so that when you multiply by 10 it doesn't change the magnitude of the vector. Also you can ignore that part, it doesn't really matter what it represents; all you want to do is to normalize (like making a unit vector in the direction of) 3i-4j.
    So speed changes depending on magnitude? I thought it stays the same... I still don't understand why it's 5ms-1

ReputationRep:
    Why does the magnitude link with the speed??????/

ReputationRep:
    And why are we considering VELOCITY when the SPEED is 10???

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I just don't understand why we're doing what we're doing!

ReputationRep:
    Bump!
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Why does the magnitude link with the speed??????/
    We consider the magnitude to be the distance moved in one time unit.

Note that the velocity vector will have units. It's not just ai + bj, but rather ai + bj, ms-1.

ReputationRep:
    We consider the magnitude to be the distance moved in one time unit.

Note that the velocity vector will have units. It's not just ai + bj, but rather ai + bj, ms-1.
    Why can't we consider -3i + 4j as the displacement?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Why can't we consider -3i + 4j as the displacement?
    The question doesn't tell you anything about displacement. It doesn't even mention it.

ReputationRep:
    The question doesn't tell you anything about displacement.
    Hmmm okay!

So magnitude in general is distance in one unit time... so it's speed in one unit time?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm okay!

So magnitude in general is distance in one unit time... so it's speed in one unit time?
    no no, the magnitude could have any unit you want. In this question, it's m/s, but that's TOTALLY irrelevant. What they want is a vector that has a magnitude of 10 and a direction the SAME as 3i-4j , that's it! No velocity, displacement and time equations or anything.

ReputationRep:
    no no, the magnitude could have any unit you want. In this question, it's m/s, but that's TOTALLY irrelevant. What they want is a vector that has a magnitude of 10 and a direction the SAME as 3i-4j , that's it! No velocity, displacement and time equations or anything.
    You're saying magnitude of 10 because speed was 10... I'm just asking, how and why are these 2 components interlinked... Does speed = magnitude because the magnitude of a vector gives speed?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Hmmm okay!

Speed is rate of change of displacment, so it incorporates the "in one unit of time" already.

The magnitude of a vector represents the speed, in the appropriate units.

Consider a direction vector or 3i + 4j.

It has a magnitude of 5.

If I want it to represent 10000 ms^-1 in that direction, and I choose a magnitude of 1 to represent 1 ms^-1, then my vector needs to be multiplied by 10000/5, i.e. by 2000, to get 6000i+8000j ms-1.

We almost invariably choose a magnitude of 1 to represent a speed of 1 in whatever units. That's the link between the length of the vector and the speed.

ReputationRep:
    Speed is rate of change of displacment, so it incorporates the "in one unit of time" already.

The magnitude of a vector represents the speed, in the appropriate units.

Consider a direction vector or 3i + 4j.

It has a magnitude of 5.

If I want it to represent 10000 ms^-1 in that direction, and I choose a magnitude of 1 to represent 1 ms^-1, then my vector needs to be multiplied by 10000/5, i.e. by 2000, to get 6000i+8000j ms-1.

We almost invariably choose a magnitude of 1 to represent a speed of 1 in whatever units. That's the link between the length of the vector and the speed.
    "I choose a magnitude of 1 to represent 1ms^-1" - Isn't it always in this ratio?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.