Turn on thread page Beta

Relationship struggling because of the election? watch

Hi There,

I've been with my girlfriend only about 8 months, but we've never fought so much until this election. We have completely opposite political views and are both rather defensive people who don't like to back down and accept "defeat" to each other, even though we both know we won't win each other over. Has anyone else struggled this general election in their relationship? I never thought this would be the reason me and my girlfriend are fighting so much!

There's no need to fight:no: Just accept that you have differing opinions regarding politics and stop discussing it!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi There,

I've been with my girlfriend only about 8 months, but we've never fought so much until this election. We have completely opposite political views and are both rather defensive people who don't like to back down and accept "defeat" to each other, even though we both know we won't win each other over. Has anyone else struggled this general election in their relationship? I never thought this would be the reason me and my girlfriend are fighting so much!
    Just don't discuss the subject

ReputationRep:
    I think being on opposite sides is fine, as long as you're both respectful about it.

Like I didn't mind tory friends and such until they started gloating and just disregarding voting for labour as stupidity and such.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard it all now!

Just agree to disagree and never bring the subject up again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi There,

Having opposing political beliefs suggests you have a completely different set of moral values. I think its unlikely a relationship can last under those conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? It seems a bit daft to fight and let a relationship crumble over politics. There's nothing wrong with having different views, just learn to get on and if political chats are causing too many arguments then talk about something else instead.

ReputationRep:
    If the views are truly due to contrasting moral and other values then you can rethink the relationship. I wouldn't want to be going out with someone who is that different to me -- eg labour+green relationship could work out, but how can a green go out with a hardcore Tory? It just wouldn't make sense.

Lol

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't date a guy who supports Labour. Soz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Having opposing political beliefs suggests you have a completely different set of moral values. I think its unlikely a relationship can last under those conditions.
    Unless one of them's a green, they must realise that they're a joke at heart at vote for them for the banter

ReputationRep:
    Lol who gives a crap, I've had a lot of lefties getting really angry about the election on their facebook walls, they need to all chill out some

ReputationRep:
    Find common ground. Most people not at the extreme have a similar end goal for example (prosperity), they just disagree with the way to achieve that.

I've never had this issue even though a lot of women seem to be lefties but then i view personality traits as more important than opinions.

ReputationRep:
    I would never ever date a girl who voted Labour, never ever

ReputationRep:
    hahaha my best friend's boyfriend yelled at me in the middle of a train station yesterday because i'm a torie but he's labour , it got pretty heated tbh and my best friend was between us going "GUYS LET'S GO TO COSTA COSTA IS FUN"

if it's actual anger , don't discuss it. i usually find that although people are passionate about it , there's no real anger or hatred towards the other person that grows - i always find it interesting listening to other people's political views

on a side note though , my best friend did vote green specifically to avoid arguing with her boyfriend :thumbsdown: never had an issue with my boyfriend , i like hearing his views even though he votes green too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    Just don't discuss the subject
    ”Under-the-carpet techniques” do not work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotliketea)
    hahaha my best friend's boyfriend yelled at me in the middle of a train station yesterday because i'm a torie but he's labour
    I hope you advised him to see a psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuckMeBeautiful)
    I hope you advised him to see a psychiatrist.
    i was just thrown tbh :') i don't like arguing and it's not the first time i've seen him get overly aggressive over nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotliketea)
    i was just thrown tbh :' i don't like arguing and it's not the first time i've seen him get overly aggressive over nothing
    I am not joking he sounds like he's well mentally unstable. I can tell from the littlest signs. Also a coward, I doubt he would shout if you were some ripped big guy. Plus, I would have been embarrassed to shout at my partner's friend for a petty reason like that. And I can see that your friend is scared of him, should just dump him tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndersonRN)
    I think SuckMeBeautiful was referring to the fact that your bestfriends boyfriend is a labour supporter haha
    :rofl: both

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.