Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There are rumours swirling about that Cameron will offer the Scots full fiscal autonomy (not so much an offer as "This is what's going to happen"; can't say I'm against that. The Scots voted for nationalism and separatism, they can hardly say, "No, we don't actually want fiscal autonomy" because they know they would be in massive deficit)

I hear that Cameron wants to turn the Commons into an English parliament most days of the way, however retaining other MPs. The Lords will become a federal chamber

I actually quite like what ConservativeHome proposed

http://manifesto.conservativehome.com/power/

In any case, apparently we will hear quite soon what is going to happen re Scotland and federalism

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was the Lib Dems who wanted an elected house of lords. In anycase I agree they should be elected of they need exist at all

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan.. at all.

FFA is probably needed to stop them going in the short term but in the long term all it does (like EVEL) is amplify legal division which over time amplifies cultural division. We also don't need a separate English Parliament.

The idea of a regional senate is the best i've heard for the long term preservation of the union although in the short term we'd risk Scotland going.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.