Turn on thread page Beta

Is being competitive petty? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've always been competitive and I've found that it's a great motivator for me. But, I can't help but think that it's a little petty to keep score. You'll always want more. Thoughts? Are you competitive? If you aren't, how do you stay content with what you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpow)
    I've always been competitive and I've found that it's a great motivator for me. But, I can't help but think that it's a little petty to keep score. You'll always want more. Thoughts? Are you competitive? If you aren't, how do you stay content with what you have?
    Being competitive can be a healthy trait at times, but it makes it hard to accept defeat which can look very immature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpow)
    Why do you find it petty?

ReputationRep:
    As long as you are noble in both victory and defeat then you should be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Why do you find it petty?
    It depends on the context. If I'm playing a tennis match against someone, competitiveness is sort of warranted. But when it's something like doing better than someone who isn't a direct competitor, I find it slightly petty. E.g. getting a better grade than someone. The problem is when it comes to losing. A competitive person feels much more devastated than someone who is a bit more carefree. I suppose I just want to be competitive with myself, and be a bit more content with what I have. How do you go about achieving that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smilin’ Knight)
    yeah, this.

although generally i do find some competitive people quite annoying. e.g. competitive in a game and its just like dude chill this isnt the world championships, play, have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how good you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpow)
    It depends on the context. If I'm playing a tennis match against someone, competitiveness is sort of warranted. But when it's something like doing better than someone who isn't a direct competitor, I find it slightly petty. E.g. getting a better grade than someone. The problem is when it comes to losing. A competitive person feels much more devastated than someone who is a bit more carefree. I suppose I just want to be competitive with myself, and be a bit more content with what I have. How do you go about achieving that?
    You don't like losing?
    Play a game, like Chess, where you're bound to lose an awful lot. You learn to accept it.

ReputationRep:
    No, not really. As long as you remain gracious in defeat and gracious in victory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smilin’ Knight)
    This

Gracious in victory, magnaminous in defeat

ReputationRep:
    No and it doesn't matter about being gracious in defeat or victory.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as long as you show good 'sportsmanship' it's fine I think.

Aka, you don't put other people down, you don't want to be better simply to make the other person look bad.
    If you win, not gloating about it to the point where you're just rubbing it in.
    And if you lose, don't accuse your opponent of cheating simply because you're bitter.

So basically as long as it's healthy competition and in moderation - then it's fine.
    Just be considerate of others.

Oh and a lack of competitiveness is probably worse I'd say - the 'I don't care' 'can't be arsed' attitude isn't good for yourself or people's opinion of you.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much failure irks you.

For example if you're like me and think that your girlfriend will cheat if her guy friend beats you at Mario Kart or Laser Quest, you may have problems.

I'm incredibly competitive and stubborn :sly: Not a good mix :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn-to-page394)
    Well, as long as you show good 'sportsmanship' it's fine I think.

Aka, you don't put other people down, you don't want to be better simply to make the other person look bad.
    If you win, not gloating about it to the point where you're just rubbing it in.
    And if you lose, don't accuse your opponent of cheating simply because you're bitter.

So basically as long as it's healthy competition and in moderation - then it's fine.
    Just be considerate of others.

Oh and a lack of competitiveness is probably worse I'd say - the 'I don't care' 'can't be arsed' attitude isn't good for yourself or people's opinion of you.
    I don't have that much of an issue against competitiveness with an opponent. It's more when they're indirect competitors, like colleagues, people in your class etc. I feel like I need to be better than them. Surely this is borderline unhealthy? Aren't competitive people more prone to depression?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.