Turn on thread page Beta

Tips for helping me lose weight? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a short guy (5 foot, 3 inches) and weigh 12 stone, I'm just looking to lose weight (a stone, maybe two), have done a bit of research already but was just looking to see if anyone on here had further suggestions or alternatives to doing so. I have asthma (controlled), hyper-mobile ankle joints and flat feet so I can't do a great deal of intense foot related exercise (so I guess swimming would be useful). Shame because I like to play football, and would like to be able to run regularly.

In terms of my exercise, I walk about four miles a day (walk two miles to work and back home, which isn't intense, just long and I measure it using the Nike+ app on my iPod), do the occasional push up session using the Runtastic push up app. I'm not a gym goer mainly because I prefer the outdoors (and not being judged on the exercises I do haha). I eat pretty healthily as I cook a lot, but I tend to have quite large portions, which is probably my downfall.
    I'm quite soft and square on the outside, about average in terms of muscle (arms are quite good, legs are as well, but not so much the torso, back or behind unless I inhale really hard, which is difficult for an asthma sufferer haha) if that helps.

Open to suggestions/advice so fire away

ReputationRep:
    Swimming is great - personally I love it because you can do plenty of laps and be really cool whist doing so as the you're in water so you don't get too sweaty 😛

ReputationRep:
    Download MyFitnessPal. It's a great app that will set your calorie goal for you depending on your goals, then you can use it to count calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermitthefrog)
    Download MyFitnessPal. It's a great app that will set your calorie goal for you depending on your goals, then you can use it to count calories.
    I tried MyFitnessPal and didn't really find it useful. Have Bing Health and Fitness, which has a good selection of routines, diets and some decent features (but doesn't track walks or anything when your screen times out, unlike the Nike+ app on my iPod). Tried Fitbit as well as ActiveFitness. Not exactly short of resources but if anyone had any advice to offer that can be tailored to my anatomy (so to speak) it would be welcomed I probably need to learn how to swim before I can exercise in the water, would like to as it would help firm up my torso, back and bottom.

ReputationRep:
    As you say your legs and arms are quite strong already you'll probably be best working on your core area, I find that sit-ups, crunches and things like mountain climbers and planks help to improve muscles and burn fat rather quickly without getting too tired or out of breath, the trick is not to over do it. Pick an exercise or two that focuses on the muscles/ area you want to work on, and do them regularly, starting with a few and working up in number I.e. Don't just suddenly decide to do 500 sit ups. Instead start with maybe 10 or 15 twice a day and increase the number every day.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I If you're not a gym goer then try the c25k challenge. You can do it on your way back from work every day (at least when you're sweaty, you can have a shower but if it was vise versa, you'd be sweaty at work lol) this might not sound like a big deal but I did c25k second week but then I joined the gym, ran on the treadmill and can run between 7-10 minutes without stopping, whereas a month ago, I couldn't even run 20 seconds without getting out of breath and struggling to breathe. Since I've been running on the treadmill 6x a week, I lost 3lb in 2 weeks. I lost inches mainly because I do weights, sit ups and kettlebell exercise to tone and build muscle whilst losing fat. Slowly but surely! Also check out the Insanity dvd, I heard it was very intense but shows good results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Calories in vs calories out.

If you're gaining weight it's because you're consuming more calories than you need. To lose weight you need to consume less calories than you need to maintain. Calculate your TDEE and eat less than that, if you eat 500 less a day you should lose 1 lb a week.

It really is as simple as that, people just don't like counting calories and making lifestyle changes.

Edit: And while exercise can help you lose weight by upping the amount of calories you burn in a day, diet is the biggest factor. Basically if you don't change your diet you're going to have a hard time losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Calories in vs calories out.

If you're gaining weight it's because you're consuming more calories than you need. To lose weight you need to consume less calories than you need to maintain. Calculate your TDEE and eat less than that, if you eat 500 less a day you should lose 1 lb a week.

It really is as simple as that, people just don't like counting calories and making lifestyle changes.

Edit: And while exercise can help you lose weight by upping the amount of calories you burn in a day, diet is the biggest factor. Basically if you don't change your diet you're going to have a hard time losing weight.
    Mostly this, but don't rely on the 1lb per week thing. 500 calories under maintaiance is ideal for weight loss. Don't eat crap, if you're restricting your calorie intake you want to ensure you're getting good foods right in macronutrients which will fill you up.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweigh...eworkouts.aspx

These 10 minute workouts seem to be slightly tailored towards females, however they can apply to males too! It includes a great warm up routine, then some videos that target specific areas of your body/fitness levels, and then it also includes a brilliant cool down routine which helps stop your body aching after any workout! :afro:

:pepsi: Things like fizzy drinks actually contain a lot more calories than some people realise, so try and replace them for fruit juices or water. Also, just try and eat foods like celery that will get rid of your 'want to snack' but also won't be taking a huge chunk out of your RDA! :banana:

Small changes to your daily routine at a time will make sure that you stick to the changes and aren't tiring yourself out!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice! I only drink water (as much as I can), tea (because I'm from Yorkshire) and occasionally a pint (to avoid the interrogation at parties as to why I'm not drinking, but I've always stayed well within the intake limits). I cook pretty much all of my meals, use good quality ingredients as well, never order takeaways or go to fast food places. It's likely to be the portion sizes of the food I cook that perhaps lets me down, as I eat and drink healthily in terms of nutrition and energy so I'm hoping just reducing the intake will give me a good start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemorleyy)
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweigh...eworkouts.aspx

These 10 minute workouts seem to be slightly tailored towards females, however they can apply to males too! It includes a great warm up routine, then some videos that target specific areas of your body/fitness levels, and then it also includes a brilliant cool down routine which helps stop your body aching after any workout! :afro:

:pepsi: Things like fizzy drinks actually contain a lot more calories than some people realise, so try and replace them for fruit juices or water. Also, just try and eat foods like celery that will get rid of your 'want to snack' but also won't be taking a huge chunk out of your RDA! :banana:

Small changes to your daily routine at a time will make sure that you stick to the changes and aren't tiring yourself out!
    I agreed with all of the advice apart from the bolded. Though fruit juice is miles better than fizzy drinks it still contains a lot of sugar and can often contain a lot of calories. If I remember correctly 1 250ml glass of apple juice is equivalent in sugar to 3-4 apples.

Fruit juice is great in moderation, but people (myself included) often drink much more than they should.

ReputationRep:
    Have lots of sex and you'll lose all that extra weight. Trust me the amount of calories you burn when you're going at it
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Cycling would be good for you - low impact and gets you outdoors, you don't need an expensive bike to start. Build the mileage slowly, say starting with a 15minute ride on the first day and add the distance/ time. If you have a smart phone, www.strava.com is great for tracking your rides and progress. I'd definitely recommend it

ReputationRep:
    I've lost 5kg in a couple months by eating roughly 1300 calories per day. Starting every workout with 15 minutes skipping, 15 minutes uphill walking (max incline 6.5kmph), 4 minutes of 20 second sprints.

I've still managed to maintain strength and gain strength in some lifts also.

ReputationRep:
    Eat less. Gym more.

ReputationRep:
    the realest advice

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/h...79595790_a.jpg

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.