Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'm studying GCSEs right now, but i've started thinking about my options and for many science/engineering degrees people recommend Further Maths. Will it really cause me trouble not to take FM? My problem is that firstly i'm unsure how I would find the course, and also my school has Additional Maths as a mandatory GCSE to take it. Currently I am not signed up for Additional Maths. Do I need FM to get into a top university (like Imperial), and if so should I be trying to get onto the Additional Maths (I recognise it's a hard thing to take on). Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Most engineering candidates will have Physics, Maths and FM. I encourage you to try and do FM if they wont let you do it at your school next year try find another college that does it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even AS Further Maths will be a big boost to your application and AS is only harder than normal maths by one module (FP1).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    Even AS Further Maths will be a big boost to your application and AS is only harder than normal maths by one module (FP1).
    Okay, so if I took say A2 Chem, A2 Maths, A2 Phys, AS Further Maths, would I be in with a good chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IzzySuperman)
    Okay, so if I took say A2 Chem, A2 Maths, A2 Phys, AS Further Maths, would I be in with a good chance?
    Yes, you have two preferred A levels, a third desirable A level, and a good AS. Make sure that AS is an A though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    Yes, you have two preferred A levels, a third desirable A level, and a good AS. Make sure that AS is an A though.
    Thanks, you've been really useful :burnout:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IzzySuperman)
    Thanks, you've been really useful :burnout:
    You're welcome.

Although, if you ever change your mind, FM > Chemistry for Physics, although this shouldn't completely change your decision if you will enjoy Chemistry more.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    For Imperial you pretty much need FM.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.