Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.
    I am retaking C1 to get more UMS.
    Anyway, my question is in C4 we have learnt implicit differentiation. Can I use that in C1?

E.g. a circle equation and i use a c4 method and get the right answer, will I get full marks?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seizetoday)
    Hi guys.
    Anyway, my question is in C4 we have learnt implicit differentiation. Can I use that in C1?

E.g. a circle equation and i use a c4 method and get the right answer, will I get full marks?

Thanks.
    You unfortunately have to use core 1 techniques.

I know it sucks. I've learnt most of Core 3 and Core 4 early and so for example, the questions on using the trapezium rule I can integrate without using the trapezium rule but you still have to use the trapezium rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillWalker23)
    You unfortunately have to use core 1 techniques.

I know it sucks. I've learnt most of Core 3 and Core 4 early and so for example, the questions on using the trapezium rule I can integrate without using the trapezium rule but you still have to use the trapezium rule.
    Hi, thanjs for your reply. That does suck indeed. Like I could use the product rule rather than expanding it out etc. Sucks

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Thanks.
    Wait why would you need to use implicit differentiation? Care to give an example?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Thanks.
    You won't get the method mark, because you are not supposed to know it for C1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    Wait why would you need to use implicit differentiation? Care to give an example?
    Sure. Off the top of my head, say an equation of a circle is x^2 + y^2 +8x +5y +3=0 or something. You know the radius and centre and the point it goes through and the q asks for you to find the equation of the tangent. At c1 they expect you to find the change in y/change in x i.e. the gradient and then x -1 since it is the normal. And then do the usual business with the point it goes through e.g. y-y1=m(x-x1). Anyway, implicit differentiation means u can differentiate the circle equation and plug x and y to find gradient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    You won't get the method mark, because you are not supposed to know it for C1.
    Sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Thanks.
    You should get the marks. However if you make an error you wont get any method marks. It states clearly that if the correct answer is obtained using a different method than stated award full marks, however if this different method fails, only award working marks to those that pertain to the wanted method. An example is that you can use the cross product from FP3 in C4 for vector questions and you will still get full marks, however if you make a mistake you will likely get 0.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.