Turn on thread page Beta

18 year old travelling on his own - good or bad idea? watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently came into a lot of money (pretty good gambler I guess :P ) and I want to spend it on a holiday! All my mates are going to Malia but theres no space, so I deicded I want to go to Shanghai or Japan or some sort of country similar. I will be booking a hostel etc but I'm scared that I'll be on my own and have no mates and not much to do. Really want to party and go to nightclubs and meet new people and just get hammered alot and experience the culture and people! Has anyone had any experience and tips for me? Thank you
    (Original post by Charles97)
    Decided I'm going guys!! Thanks for the advice you all gave me ! If you would like to come don't hesitate to message me

ReputationRep:
    When j went travelling I went with a friend but we stayed in hostels and a lot of people were travelling on their own. We went out for meals and went to museums with solo travellers and everyone's really friendly in hostels as most people are on their own. We went travelling in Europe but I'd just assume it'd be the same elsewhere and I'm sure you'll enjoy it and it'd be a great experience

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Start with Europe cuz its closer to home, or wait until you're older if you really wanna hit Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edo123)
    Start with Europe cuz its closer to home, or wait until you're older if you really wanna hit Asia.
    I've done Europe. I really like eastern countries, especially Japan but its insanely pricey so I can't do it.

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to go travelling 'round Asia and I've always thought of going on my own when I get the money of course. I think your confidence and independence play a big part. If you're used to doing things for yourself you may feel more at ease going abroad on your own. I'm sure you'll meet people there and then to chill with especially if it's out drinking you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valkyrie-grey)
    I've always wanted to go travelling 'round Asia and I've always thought of going on my own when I get the money of course. I think your confidence and independence play a big part. If you're used to doing things for yourself you may feel more at ease going abroad on your own. I'm sure you'll meet people there and then to chill with especially if it's out drinking you want to go.
    I'm quite confident and likable. I'm just wondering if people there are going to be alot older than I am etc. I'm really unsure but I really want to do it!! Flights look like £500 return, hostel looks like £200, but are people going to be staying for a month like me or will they be on the go? I'm really confused about this all lmao

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite confident and likable. I'm just wondering if people there are going to be alot older than I am etc. I'm really unsure but I really want to do it!! Flights look like £500 return, hostel looks like £200, but are people going to be staying for a month like me or will they be on the go? I'm really confused about this all lmao
    If you really want to do it then go for it! Nothing is certain really as there are bound to be people of all ages travelling, some stopping for a few days, others weeks. I wish I could offer better advice but I have no experience in such things, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valkyrie-grey)
    If you really want to do it then go for it! Nothing is certain really as there are bound to be people of all ages travelling, some stopping for a few days, others weeks. I wish I could offer better advice but I have no experience in such things, sorry!
    Do you know of any forums that could help me? Backpacker forums or hostel forums?

ReputationRep:
    Go wherever YOLO

ReputationRep:
    Lol great help

ReputationRep:
    Do you know of any forums that could help me? Backpacker forums or hostel forums?
    I really don't, sorry! I need to look into it when I start travelling but I don't know anything at the minute sorry :/

ReputationRep:
    Am I allowed to link to other sites here? If so try r/solotravel on reddit, its great for this sort of thing and the people there will be able to help alot more than here I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Am I allowed to link to other sites here? If so try r/solotravel on reddit, its great for this sort of thing and the people there will be able to help alot more than here I think
    Cheers, I posted! Hope to get some responses..

ReputationRep:
    Usually, In my country, if on the age between 17 years old untill 21 years old as a student or university student, they choose to climb a mountain for travelling. Because it doesn't need a pricey expense, very friendly with our pocket money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oca)
    Usually, In my country, if on the age between 17 years old untill 21 years old as a student or university student, they choose to climb a mountain for travelling. Because it doesn't need a pricey expense, very friendly with our pocket money
    I have a bad back, unfortunately. Pretty much recovered after an operation but long, draining journeys can actually do my back in quite badly.

ReputationRep:
    Decided I'm going guys!! Thanks for the advice you all gave me ! If you would like to come don't hesitate to message me

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.