Turn on thread page Beta

will doctors be happy or sad the conservatives are in power? watch

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they won't steal that much from the rich but then the NHS will go to pot?? hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    Med student here-- I voted Tory.

I think its a real mix though amongst other students and doctors i know. I genuinely don't know which party is better (even then what does better mean?) for the health system, but it my eyes a healthy economy + pledges to only increase (not cut) the NHS budget is about as good as we're going to get.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Labour are, going off their history, the worst party for the NHS. Lets not forget who privatised the most shall we. Doctors have brains, and they vote tory

ReputationRep:
    Would doctors support a reform to the healthcare system towards Germany's libertarian insurance based model? Their expenditure is only slightly higher but they have far superior health. This would also mean more money in doctor's pockets.

ReputationRep:
    Fathers an A&E doctor, he voted labour

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the collective reaction of my colleagues, most are very concerned about the future of the NHS with a tory government.

I'm certainly no expert. However, it's all well and good making promises to increase NHS spending, but when that spending increasingly leeches out into the private sector via PFIs, it won't be long before the NHS is even less recognisable as a public institution. What is even more worrying are the shadowy relationships that exist between these corporations and tory MPs.

In addition, the austerity cuts that we've seen so far hit the frontline services very hard. Unfortunately this is a false economy as it puts increasing strain on (more expensive) resources downstream.

ReputationRep:
    My sister is an NHS doctor and she, like the rest of the family, voted Labour. Her exact words when she heard the result were: ****! lol I can't blame her, her working hours have gone crazy, she's always tired and its only going to get worse.

ReputationRep:
    My GP voted Tory.

Mind you, the Conservatives did say they would commit 8bn to the NHS while Labour proposed 6bn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_second)
    Med student here-- I voted Tory.

I think its a real mix though amongst other students and doctors i know. I genuinely don't know which party is better (even then what does better mean?) for the health system, but it my eyes a healthy economy + pledges to only increase (not cut) the NHS budget is about as good as we're going to get.
    I thought they were planning on cutting it? They're planning on increasing the budget? I was actually worried as I thought it would affect NHS-based courses - that's good then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigsmoke)
    I thought they were planning on cutting it? They're planning on increasing the budget? I was actually worried as I thought it would affect NHS-based courses - that's good then!

yeah £8bn.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a medical student and voted Tory as did a lot of the other students I know.

Having said that, I know a lot of students and doctors are sad because they're planning on introducing a 7 day working week for GPs, 'privatising' the NHS and think they're going to cut funding to the NHS (which isn't true).

I think a 7 day working week would actually be beneficial for new doctors and students as it'll likely create more jobs in both primary and secondary care (as you'll no doubt need more doctors in hospitals to deal with more referrals and investigations) in what is already a fairly saturated job market for senior doctor positions.
    Some GPs and other doctors don't like the idea of working the extra hours, but I wasn't intending on going into a specialty without out many of hours commitments and don't think you should've gone into medicine not expecting this kind of commitment tbh. It'll also likely ease pressures on A&Es and reduce waiting times. I know many hospitals already do elective procedures on weekends to cut them and this is basically a 7 day service and extending this nationwide would only be good thing imo.

The privatisation issue is a lot of scaremongering and it'd be political suicide to move to a US style system like people allude to, so it'd never happen. A lot of the terrible PFI deals were signed under Labour and I've only heard good about things like the move to CCGs made by the Tories from GPs.
    All in all, a good thing for the NHS imo

ReputationRep:
    I'm a doctor, my Facebook feed filled up with talk of emigration after the results and I myself have begun organising emigration to Australia.

I have decided not to stay and fight for the NHS, we told the public what was happening and their vote on Thursday was to say "we don't care". So I don't care about them anymore. I have seen enough colleagues start antidepressant medication etc. since the cuts, there have even been suicides, that I am putting my own life and happiness first and I'm leaving.

I hope you are all ready to sleep in the bed you have made yourselves.

As a medical student I had absolutely no idea what the reality of working in the NHS was actually like, it was only upon qualifying that it hit me like a brick, so I won't hold it against the Tory voters above, I simply pity them, it is one thing to have this misery brought upon you by others, they will have to live with feeling partly responsible for bringing it upon themselves.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/we-sp...is-morning-672

The med students above who voted Tory - do you bunk placement then? Winter beds crisis? Gutted social care leading to elderly patients "bed blocking" for way longer than they should do? Department closures and threatened closures? Not ringing any bells?

The state of the NHS and how able to it is to cope with pressure is directly linked to how well people are looked after in the community. Since the previous government and the one to come are committed to cutting services in the community to the bone, how exactly do you think that will impact on the NHS' ability to cope with these patients once they turn up in droves in A&E?

PS: you're even more naive than I thought if you think that £8bn is an actual committment to front line services.

(Original post by ab192)

The privatisation issue is a lot of scaremongering and it'd be political suicide to move to a US style system like people allude to, so it'd never happen. A lot of the terrible PFI deals were signed under Labour and I've only heard good about things like the move to CCGs made by the Tories from GPs.
    All in all, a good thing for the NHS imo
    You are desperately naive if you don't think wily politicians and our disgusting media cartel have ways and means of making things happen. 20 years ago if you told people that a university education would cost them £27000 minimum they'd think you were high. Lo and behold, it came to pass. Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public and the cynicism of politicians in manipulating them.

Withold money from the service, let it suffer, circulate lots of bad press about "scandals", watch the public become more disillusioned, then allow the private sector to step in. Always works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mich18)
    My GP voted Tory.

Mind you, the Conservatives did say they would commit 8bn to the NHS while Labour proposed 6bn.
    You're mistaken. It's the lib dems that would commit £8bn to the NHS, not the conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to repeat myself but since no one replied: Would doctors support a reform to the healthcare system towards Germany's libertarian insurance based model? Their expenditure is only slightly higher but they have far superior health. This would also mean more money in doctor's pockets.

ReputationRep:
    Just one example of many on my Facebook feed after the election results came out

Every like and comment is from a doctor

EDIT: It goes on and on

I don't even care to argue anymore, we've been doing it for years and we've been ignored. It's time to leave, simple as that. Good luck guys.

ReputationRep:
    Public sector workers lean heavily to Labour. It's not surprising that the people who most directly benefit from bigger government support parties that favour even bigger government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Public sector workers lean heavily to Labour. It's not surprising that the people who most directly benefit from bigger government support parties that favour even bigger government.
    Everyone benefits from the NHS at one point or another not just public sector workers...

Also if we take the traditional understanding of big government, that is the notion of an interfering government, I'd say the Conservative propositions for the NHS are definitely crossing the line of unwanted interference.

ReputationRep:
    I am soon to start my health care degree where I will end up 'working' for the nhs. I don't know whether the turn back and do something else or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alltimesarah)
    You're mistaken. It's the lib dems that would commit £8bn to the NHS, not the conservatives.
    No, pretty sure Tories did as well. That's why Miliband received a lot of flack for not committing the same.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10169314.html

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.