Classical Civilisation - 30 markers!?!?!?! Watch

charlottegrace
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
Is anyone else doing 'life and times of Cicero' for their classical civilisation this year? If so, how are they approaching revision?

My teacher is a bit of a ... mushroom? I've literally taught myself everything I possibly can about Cicero, read his letters to death and feel like I know more about his life than my own!
I'm terrified for the paper though, unbelievably scared! The 30 markers seem so daunting and my teacher hasn't taught us how to structure them, and I won't be seeing him again until after exams.

Does anyone have any advice?
If so, PLEASE tell me it!

Thanks, Charlotte x
Ryan_wm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I it's been two years since I studied Cicero. Probably my favourite module across AS and A level, although it was my lowest scoring (86):/

I pretty much ignored the letters and focused on Verres, as it is pretty hard to know the context for 20-something letters.

Basically you have to know ciceros life thoroughly. Be careful with dates, as questions often specify a time period.

You'll know the main events better than I would, but the major ones I can remember are: trial of Roscius + Verres, quaestorship, aedileship, praetorship, relationship with Pompey, consulship + catilinarian conspiracy, trial of rabirius, 1st triumvirate, civil war, Caesar, clodius, conference of Luca, ciceros exile, 2nd triumvirate, etc..

There's loads more that I cant remember, but my teacher gave awesome notes. So if you need any help hit me up, cause I'm just working for a year before uni. I also did the iliad(98), the Aeneid(97), and the Persians(95). What other modules do you study for AS/A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sneferu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ryan_wm)
Hey, I it's been two years since I studied Cicero. Probably my favourite module across AS and A level, although it was my lowest scoring (86):/

I pretty much ignored the letters and focused on Verres, as it is pretty hard to know the context for 20-something letters.

Basically you have to know ciceros life thoroughly. Be careful with dates, as questions often specify a time period.

You'll know the main events better than I would, but the major ones I can remember are: trial of Roscius + Verres, quaestorship, aedileship, praetorship, relationship with Pompey, consulship + catilinarian conspiracy, trial of rabirius, 1st triumvirate, civil war, Caesar, clodius, conference of Luca, ciceros exile, 2nd triumvirate, etc..

There's loads more that I cant remember, but my teacher gave awesome notes. So if you need any help hit me up, cause I'm just working for a year before uni. I also did the iliad(98), the Aeneid(97), and the Persians(95). What other modules do you study for AS/A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing the same units except for the Iliad, do you have advice on any useful revision tips. What did you do for the Persians? Like we're doing the Persians wars, which is Herodotus and the play by Aeschuylus,
easton03
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello,
I am currently studying life and times of cicero too on the AQA exam board at AS level. My teacher is also somewhat vague when discussing structure of answers so I understand how you feel! Maybe it's a classics thing! She has given us one useful tool though which is a table that tells you what you need to do to get into each level of marks. If you have done everything in one level you automatically move up into the next. I've put below a pic of one she gave me for 30 mark answers. Sorry its highlighted etc, it's from one of my practise essays.
Hope you find something that helps, and if you have any questions on anything on the table just ask and i'll do my best to help

Name:  WP_20150514_029.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  409.2 KB
BigFreakyGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would recommend looking at the indicative content in the mark schemes, often it is copied and pasted year on year. So for basic content it's a great revision tool. Hope that helps (though I know it is irrelevant to structure! )
abi_parsnips
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do Cicero as well!

My plan is basically to know all the dates and letters. One thing my lecturer said was that you have to link things, so with his relationship with Pompey you have to say why he needed it in the first place- so all the novus homo and no military backing thing. You also have to make sure that your essay is an argument, it dosent have to 5 points for or 5 points against it should be clear in your introduction into what side of the question you fall into and then your essay has to support that. Also to be really really specific, so don't just mention de rege alexandrino talk about how it's possible Cicero did this in order to keep Pompey's support which would in term also ensure Cicero's political future etc etc.

In terms of how much you should write, I was told to do a page for the 10, 2 pages for the 20 and then 3 for the 30 I think the main thing with essays though is to PLAN EVERYTHING, on the bullet points you're given draw little arrows off them with the significance date and then any letters. You also have to look between the bullet points for anything missing ( good example of this is Pompey's eastern commands where it will say lex gabinia and manillia but not the consequences of de rege alexandrino). Vocab as well should be throughout all your essays ( e.g., cursus honorum, concordia ordinum, novus homo, divinatio, boni, liberatores)

Hope this helps!
PrincessJulia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by easton03)
Hello,
I am currently studying life and times of cicero too on the AQA exam board at AS level. My teacher is also somewhat vague when discussing structure of answers so I understand how you feel! Maybe it's a classics thing! She has given us one useful tool though which is a table that tells you what you need to do to get into each level of marks. If you have done everything in one level you automatically move up into the next. I've put below a pic of one she gave me for 30 mark answers. Sorry its highlighted etc, it's from one of my practise essays.
Hope you find something that helps, and if you have any questions on anything on the table just ask and i'll do my best to help

Name:  WP_20150514_029.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  409.2 KB
what would you say are 'themes'?
easton03
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PrincessJulia)
what would you say are 'themes'?
Themes can basically be anything that isn't a specific event... A few examples could be
amici, his oratory skills, relationships with his family/other people, legislation...
for example you could use amici as a theme, and then to support that give examples of his amici with Pompey or whoever. Hope that helps its a bit confusing.
PrincessJulia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by easton03)
Themes can basically be anything that isn't a specific event... A few examples could be
amici, his oratory skills, relationships with his family/other people, legislation...
for example you could use amici as a theme, and then to support that give examples of his amici with Pompey or whoever. Hope that helps its a bit confusing.
Thanks! How did you do in the exam?
abi_parsnips
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How did you guys find it? I rushed it and messed up my 30 marker, so annoyed
charlottegrace
Rep:
?
(Original post by abi_parsnips)
How did you guys find it? I rushed it and messed up my 30 marker, so annoyed
Loved loved loved the paper, couldn't be more pleased with it! Same with me and the 30 marker - some boy in my class didn't even attempt doing a 30 marker so that'll give you some reassurance that it doesn't really matter haha!
What questions did you do?
abi_parsnips
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by charlottegrace)
Loved loved loved the paper, couldn't be more pleased with it! Same with me and the 30 marker - some boy in my class didn't even attempt doing a 30 marker so that'll give you some reassurance that it doesn't really matter haha!
What questions did you do?
I did the Verres case, LOVED the 20 marker- 10 was okay but think I missed out a few annoying things. 30 marker I did his importance. I argued that he was important even thought everyone after told me he wasn't opps. But hopefully that won't matter as long as my argument was good ahah

What did you do?
charlottegrace
Rep:
?
(Original post by abi_parsnips)
I did the Verres case, LOVED the 20 marker- 10 was okay but think I missed out a few annoying things. 30 marker I did his importance. I argued that he was important even thought everyone after told me he wasn't opps. But hopefully that won't matter as long as my argument was good ahah

What did you do?
I thought he was important don't worry, although I argued both sides!
Yeah the 10 marker threw me a bit! The 1 markers were amazing as well haha! Fingers crossed for us! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?