The Student Room Group

Business studies Unit 1 AS Edexcel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wallicimo
On the leadership style question I talked about him being paternalistic because he cared for his employee and was a father-like figure as he taught her to be like him. Is this wrong?

i think it could of been either paternalistic or democratic
Original post by GreenNinjaa
Yep anything above 50.. Im hoping for anyways... I
And really? I think they'll be higher by like 2 or 3 marks .. IDEK
Need to own unit 2 now... don't worry, we got this!

haha man i dont even know how to rep !
well their were a few trick ass questions - like the maths one etc
would love it to be 50 and i getting just on the grade boundary lol

yeah i need to study unit 2 badly since i haven't done much yet
but this week i have a bio and chem paper so will study more of that for now

but do you think its possible to get full ums? in unit 2
Reply 362
i said retained profit is not included in the business, however a business plan can be used to decide how retained profit will be used.
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
haha man i dont even know how to rep !
well their were a few trick ass questions - like the maths one etc
would love it to be 50 and i getting just on the grade boundary lol

yeah i need to study unit 2 badly since i haven't done much yet
but this week i have a bio and chem paper so will study more of that for now

but do you think its possible to get full ums? in unit 2

Ahh good luck for bio and chem! You got this!
I say that alot don't I LOL.
Anyways, for unit 2 hmmm thats tricky. But it is possible. Just gotta learn them facts and formula's as well as definitions. Hopefully going to try and get a high mark for unit 2.
On the leadership style question I talked about him being paternalistic because he cared for his employee and was a father-like figure as he taught her to be like him. Is this wrong?

paternalistic would suggest he is mainly an autocratic leader ( shares similar styles ) so he doesnt delegate, doesnt let his staff take decisions however Reena was allowed to do this and so democratic would be a more suitable description. But I must admit, this question was quite difficult as it could have been laissez faire, democratic or paternalistic, so aslong as your reasons are clear, then I dont think there should be a problem.
Original post by GreenNinjaa
Ahh good luck for bio and chem! You got this!
I say that alot don't I LOL.
Anyways, for unit 2 hmmm thats tricky. But it is possible. Just gotta learn them facts and formula's as well as definitions. Hopefully going to try and get a high mark for unit 2.

Yeah if you think about it it - if you completely smash one of the exams in this subject you can get an A prior the other one is a C

Am not sure how ums works with edexcel but they deffo will increase per marks so its possible

i dont think ive done too bad today , but hope for the best and yeah u do use that a lot lol
Original post by Tizzydag
paternalistic would suggest he is mainly an autocratic leader ( shares similar styles ) so he doesnt delegate, doesnt let his staff take decisions however Reena was allowed to do this and so democratic would be a more suitable description. But I must admit, this question was quite difficult as it could have been laissez faire, democratic or paternalistic, so aslong as your reasons are clear, then I dont think there should be a problem.

Yeah I get where you're coming from, thanks:smile: I also thought some other questions were difficult such as the multiple choice question that included increase in demand in the UK and internationally but input due to customer needs being met and the last multiple choice question threw me a bit and the government spending question.
[QUOTE=Wallicimo;55933419]On the leadership style question I talked about him being paternalistic because he cared for his employee and was a father-like figure as he taught her to be like him. Is this wrong?

I put Lassiez Faire mangerment because she did make independent decisions even though she worked close to Matt. The other 3 leaderships where that Matt would me the final decisions, not reena but would consult her therefore I wrote Lassiez Faire as she made independent decisions?

( did exam last year got B wanting an A- think I got around 50? Even though I missed last goverment and 1 question on 4 marker- tbh it was HARDER THEN LAST YEAR so grades mark I think will be lower tbh so like 47/46 for A! I hope so that's what I need XD ) honestly don't know how I did though tbh :smile: matched what most ppl have said on here on sec A :smile:
Yeah if you think about it it - if you completely smash one of the exams in this subject you can get an A prior the other one is a C

Am not sure how ums works with edexcel but they deffo will increase per marks so its possible

i dont think ive done too bad today , but hope for the best and yeah u do use that a lot lol

Yeah it is possible. Unit 2 isn't really that complex, but it is tricky. So yeah, do your best lol
[QUOTE=Tizzydag;55934071]paternalistic would suggest he is mainly an autocratic leader ( shares similar styles ) so he doesnt delegate, doesnt let his staff take decisions however Reena was allowed to do this and so democratic would be a more suitable description. But I must admit, this question was quite difficult as it could have been laissez faire, democratic or paternalistic, so aslong as your reasons are clear, then I dont think there should be a problem.

Remember it was how the leadership was beneficial for the business so had to apply like kept her motivated or what I wrote was- let's her decisions come through that he may not of thought of making the busienss better/improve :-)
Reply 370
Was the goverment spending the worst question ever set? Like seriously guys what could we possibly write. The question specifically said how does an increase in goverment spending helps his business, i dont see any link...
I did this paper and found it very peculiar!

I have to say, Section A was hard. Not hard in the sense that it was impossible to do, but I have done every single past paper for section A and I would personally rate what I did today being the hardest paper for section A. Can't remember order, but I got the following:
1) Market orientation
2) An Ethical Stance
3) Retained Profit
4) More tourists visiting India
5) Operating Profit in the previous three months was 290.56million Euros (Hardest question of the lot, took a lucky guess and wrote down definition to hopefully get 2 marks)
6) Guaranteed Operating profit
7) Consumer wants met
8) Margin of safety zero

Section B, on the other hand, was easier than section A in my opinion. All of the relevant information for each question was compiled into different subsections in small paragraphs, allowing myself to spot the relevant text and apply it. Unfortunately, however, I have to agree with most of you and say the timing is extremely harsh. I completed all of section A but did not manage to get to the last question (6 marks) on government spending in section B, however, I did put a definition in for government spending which would of hopefully awarded me 1 mark

For the leadership one many people are mentioning that he is democratic. I personally feel he was more paternalistic due to the fact it mentioned she was involved in 'smaller decision making.' It also didn't refer much to consultation with employee (Reena) which is why I felt it was more paternalistic: acting as father-like figure, allowing her to make decisions but at the end of the day all big decisions go to him.

I know grade boundaries vary, but I am hoping they will be lower this year (aren't we all). Hope all you guys did well!
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=GreenNinjaa;55933543]Yep anything above 50.. Im hoping for anyways... I
And really? I think they'll be higher by like 2 or 3 marks .. IDEK
Need to own unit 2 now... don't worry, we got this!

Don't worry two much about unit 1 tbh as unit 2 is easier ( got 76 ums last year.) I want an A this year lol so I hope I got high in this retake exam to don't think I did great mabye 46/50 hopefully? Have any of you worked out what u think you got???
Original post by Yousf
Was the goverment spending the worst question ever set? Like seriously guys what could we possibly write. The question specifically said how does an increase in goverment spending helps his business, i dont see any link...

decrease in gov spending it was

Link is that - if goverment decreases spending teachers and public servant will have less disposable income so demand for provide will fall

unemployment benefits people - etc

the multiplier effect etc

but yeah it was a hard questions man
Original post by Britishsunset
Don't worry two much about unit 1 tbh as unit 2 is easier ( got 76 ums last year.) I want an A this year lol so I hope I got high in this retake exam to don't think I did great mabye 46/50 hopefully? Have any of you worked out what u think you got???

Ohh thats good
And Well, I think I lost around 16-20 marks for looking at the wrong time LOL.
So according to last years boundaries, I still probably just about got an A?
however, this year may be higher, so im thinking I got a B tbh. Not bad, but hoping for the best.
Ima go all out on unit 2, hoping to get an A...
Reply 375
Decrease in goverment spending will reduce income so people will be able to spend more and Vat will decrease so cheaper and Tax will go down our teacher said that these were all valid points and were correct
Yeah I get where you're coming from, thanks:smile: I also thought some other questions were difficult such as the multiple choice question that included increase in demand in the UK and internationally but input due to customer needs being met and the last multiple choice question threw me a bit and the government spending question.

don't worry about the last one! it threw everybody off guard, even a couple who are going for 100 ums in my school.
Reply 377
decrease in gov spending it was

Link is that - if goverment decreases spending teachers and public servant will have less disposable income so demand for provide will fall

unemployment benefits people - etc

the multiplier effect etc

but yeah it was a hard questions man

But none of that will impact his business, i do economics as well, i was going to talk about subidies o.o, but there was nothing to relate to his business.
Hiya! I agree with you! I got what you wrote in section A apart from 2:smile: so I hope I gain 2 marks from one I got wrong ( margin of safety.) and the equation I blanked lol and I didn't finish the gov spending ether lol but I wrote a def which is 2 marks :smile: now I look back on it I don't think I did that bad but it was harder then last year and those grade boundriases where quite lowish :smile:

What did you write for the start up Captital. - asses the start up capital

And the financing - asses his finaicng ?:smile:
Original post by Yousf

I wrote about the lack of spending in the area he trades in and therefore may become unattractive to shop at which may make demand fall and I put about government grants being less or something. I thought this was hard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending