AEA Maths Entry Deadline? Watch

jjsnyder
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it too late for me to register to take part in this years maths AEA, when is the deadline?
Jai Sandhu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do not believe it is too late as I registered a week or so back, however I do not know the exact deadline. Just as your schools examinations officer to register you? If they still can they will in a couple short minutes (atleast thats how long it was for me). However there are high late fees in place, triple the standard fee.
jjsnyder
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you! One other quick question, which would you say is more difficult, STEP 1 or AEA?
Jai Sandhu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I assume like me you are applying to Warwick? I was originally just going to do STEP 1, then I decided I would do AEA as well as it is 3 days after my last exam, 22nd June FP2, 25th June AEA. If I put in equal preparation for AEA as I have done STEP, hands down I would do better in AEA, the exam is definitely easier however I reckon since I have only done 1 AEA paper and done quite a bit of STEP I may be more confident in STEP.

However, Warwick requires a Distinction in AEA or a 2 in STEP, I believe according to TSR maths records no one who has got a distinction in AEA has got less than a 1 in STEP due to the obscenely high grade boundaries for a distinciton (≈80% compared to ≈45% for 2 in STEP) so I leave it for you to find out which better suites you. STEP is mainly testing your ability to tackle long questions and your ability to select the correct questions with little to no aid whilst AEA is much more about how rigorously you know you single maths specification. If you know the A level syllabus back to front and could answer every question in it you will likely fair very well in AEA however you do not get a choice in questions. This means unlike in STEP if a topic comes up that you are weak in (vectors and binomial notation for me) and is worth a large chunk of marks you may be in trouble. You have 3 hours for both exams though (3 hour 45 with 25% e.t. like me).

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (26)
11.06%
Yes - a food allergy (24)
10.21%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (7)
2.98%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (8)
3.4%
No (170)
72.34%

Watched Threads