Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been trying at these for about 6 hours, I have now given up and would be grateful if someone could bring me to the light.

Using formulas (4) and (5), show that:

Name:  maths 002.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  309.4 KB

Formulas (4) and (5):

Name:  maths 004.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  225.7 KB

Name:  maths 005.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  253.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucid Reality)
    I have been trying at these for about 6 hours, I have now given up and would be grateful if someone could bring me to the light.

Using formulas (4) and (5), solve these:

Formulas (4) and (5):

What is the question? To show that the finite* sums on the LHS are equal to the RHS?

EDIT: sorry finite, not infinite

ReputationRep:
    For 8) You have the sum of the squares of odd numbers up to and including 2n+1.
    Observe that this is the same as the sum of the squares of all numbers up to and including 2n+1, minus the sum of the squares of the even numbers up to and including 2n.

But the sum of the squares of the even numbers up to 2n is simply four times the sum of the squares of ALL numbers up to n! (If you multiply each number from 1 to n by 4 you get the sum of even squares, since the even squares are simply (2n)^2 = 4n^2

Hence your formula is:

(The sum of the squares of all numbers up to and including 2n+1) - (The sum of the squares of all EVEN numbers up to and including 2n)

Which is equal to

(The sum of the squares of all numbers up to and including 2n+1) - 4*(The sum of the squares of all numbers up to and including n)

You can apply a similar idea to (9) if you wish. You may also wish to consider using the idea below for finding the general formula for the sum of all squares up to n, and use it to find the general formula for summing all cubes to find the general formula, if you have not been taught it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    To get the formula for the sum of squares up to n, consider a telescoping sum. Consider the sums

\sum_{r=0}^n (r+1)^3 - \sum_{r=0}^n (r)^3

Note the terms cancel out with each other as you add them together, so all you get is (n+1)^3 in the end. Now expand the brackets, and you will get

\sum_{r=0}^n 3(r)^2 + 3(r) + 1 = (n+1)^3

How can you use this result to show that:

\sum_{i=1}^n i^2 = \frac{1}{6}n(n+1)(2n+1)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Using formulas (4) and (5), solve these:

Formulas (4) and (5):

If you had to prove a result for something like

1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2k+1)

would you know how to tackle that?

ReputationRep:
    sorry yeah i should have said "show that.." instead of "solve these"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CancerousProblem)
    For 8) You have the sum of the squares of odd numbers up to and including 2n+1.
    Observe that this is the same as the sum of the squares of all numbers up to and including 2n+1, minus the sum of the squares of the even numbers up to and including 2n.

But the sum of the squares of the even numbers up to 2n is simply four times the sum of the squares of ALL numbers up to n! (If you multiply each number from 1 to n by 4 you get the sum of even squares, since the even squares are simply (2n)^2 = 4n^2

Hence your formula is:

(The sum of the squares of all numbers up to and including 2n+1) - (The sum of the squares of all EVEN numbers up to and including 2n)

Which is equal to

(The sum of the squares of all numbers up to and including 2n+1) - 4*(The sum of the squares of all numbers up to and including n)

You can apply a similar idea to (9) if you wish. You may also wish to consider using the idea below for finding the general formula for the sum of all squares up to n, and use it to find the general formula for summing all cubes to find the general formula, if you have not been taught it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    To get the formula for the sum of squares up to n, consider a telescoping sum. Consider the sums

\sum_{r=1}^n (r+1)^3
    and
    \sum_{r=1}^n (r)^3

Note the terms cancel out with each other as you add them together, so all you get is (n+1)^3 in the end. Now expand the brackets, and you will get

\sum_{r=1}^n 3(r)^2 + 3(r) + 1 = (n+1)^3

How can you use this result to show that:

\sum_{i=1}^n i^2 = \frac{1}{6}n(n+1)(2n+1)
    Much simpler than that... simply by replacing 'n' with '2n+1' in formula (4) leads easily to the given result for Q8. Use the same logic for the next question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizard54142)
    Much simpler than that... simply by replacing 'n' with '2n+1' in formula (4) leads easily to the given result for Q8. Use the same logic for the next question.
    oh snap yes
    i am a moron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CancerousProblem)
    oh snap yes
    i am a moron
    That is assuming you are allowed to use formulae (4) and (5) without derivation. Quite a straightforward question once you spot this!

ReputationRep:
    That is assuming you are allowed to use formulae (4) and (5) without derivation. Quite a straightforward question once you spot this!
    i havent got on to that part of the question yet, but yeah if you want to find the sum of powers the best way I can think of to do it is to use a telescoping sum. I'm guessing that's the most efficient way for low powers but for higher powers that would take ages so I don't really know what I would do for that

ReputationRep:
    sorry yeah i should have said "show that.." instead of "solve these"
    OP seeing as it is a "show that" this is your best way to derive these standard results (assuming you can just use the formulae without deriving them). Let us know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your help, I understand Cancer's original way and can solve it using that, but I do not understand this
    ?

so say Gn = 1^2 + 2^2 + ... + n^2

simply replacing n with 2n+1 would yield 2n+1 elements within the series, and would not take care of removing the even squares? i.e.

G(2n+1) = 1^2 + 2^2 + ... + (2n + 1)^2

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your help, I understand Cancer's original way and can solve it using that, but I do not understand this

?

so say Gn = 1^2 + 2^2 + ... + n^2

simply replacing n with 2n+1 would yield 2n+1 elements within the series, and would not take care of removing the even squares? i.e.

G(2n+1) = 1^2 + 2^2 + ... + (2n + 1)^2
    Okay, I will go through the initial part of question 8 with you.

1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 + ... + k^2 = \frac{k(k+1)(2k+1)}{6}

for k \in \mathbb{N}

let 2n+1 = k for n \in \mathbb{N}

Can you see where to go from here?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.