Turn on thread page Beta

What effect will an EU referendum have on Ukip? watch

ReputationRep:
    If the Tories actually let one happen that is.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It would lower their appeal, that's for sure.

But they are far more than just eu now, and they represent what the conservatives should be. If the conservatives go more towards ukip (more liberal, less cuts) I can see alot of ukip support going there.

I don't think it would have as large an effect as people set it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    The EU referendum is what UKIP were founded for. They have wasted their resources and message on the general election. The EU referendum is much more important not only for UKIP but the nation. We must leave the EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by william walker)
    The EU referendum is what UKIP were founded for. They have wasted their resources and message on the general election. The EU referendum is much more important not only for UKIP but the nation. We must leave the EU.
    The people want it, they will get it, lets hope it's not a shambles of a question.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. UKIP were founded to get the UK to leave the EU. And so far UKIP is the only party advocating an exit. (Sinn Fein, SNP and Plaid realise they can feed from th trough and have all done u turns on their EU stance.)

Cameron promised a referendum on the EU. He also promised to campaign to stay in the EU.

(Original post by balanced)
    The people want it, they will get it, lets hope it's not a shambles of a question.
    Well, you'd hope something neutral like 'Should the United Kingdom leave the European Union?' wouldn't be too hard to agree on.

ReputationRep:
    It would lower their appeal, that's for sure.

But they are far more than just eu now, and they represent what the conservatives should be. If the conservatives go more towards ukip (more liberal, less cuts) I can see alot of ukip support going there.

I don't think it would have as large an effect as people set it out to be.
    Can you elaborate on the differences between Ukip and the Tories? I don't know too much about their policies but I thought they were (almost) as right-wing as the Conservatives.

I think that there is a point where Ukip will be large enough for the EU to no longer be their identity but they haven't got there yet. It's like getting a car rolling, they haven't yet got the momentum for an EU referendum to completely ruin what they stand for.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    Can you elaborate on the differences between Ukip and the Tories? I don't know too much about their policies but I thought they were (almost) as right-wing as the Conservatives.

I think that there is a point where Ukip will be large enough for the EU to no longer be their identity but they haven't got there yet. It's like getting a car rolling, they haven't yet got the momentum for an EU referendum to completely ruin what they stand for.
    UKIP would cut a bit less than con
    UKIP wouldn't go ahead with hs2
    UKIP would increase defence budget more
    conservatives would campaign to stay in eu, ukip would campaign for out

Con is more pro immigration than ukip

ReputationRep:

lol... yes, Farage used to be a banker so he was probably used to awarding himself a big bonus.

Cameron wasn't a banker but awards himself by dipping into peoples wallets

ReputationRep:
    UKIP would cut a bit less than con
    UKIP wouldn't go ahead with hs2
    UKIP would increase defence budget more
    conservatives would campaign to stay in eu, ukip would campaign for out

Con is more pro immigration than ukip
    Aren't increasing the defence budget and being less pro-immigration signs that they are as right-wing than the Tories?
    I think that some Ukip voters feel that the party is less right-wing than it is because they themselves are not as right-wing but identify with the party due to their policies on immigration.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. If Farage's goal had been to leave the EU he should not have even mentioned the constituency race in his speech after South Thanet, and declared that winning the EU Referendum was the true prize, how unexpected it was that the Tories could win, that his 12% would hold them to account, etc. Instead he looked and sounded like an utterly defeated man and didn't even refer to the EU.

UKIP has ceased to be an anti-EU party and is simply a non-racist version of the BNP.

---

Can you elaborate on the differences between Ukip and the Tories?
    UKIP wants to leave the EU and radically cut the foreign aid budget, using the savings to pay for increased NHS funding, 2% of GDP on defence, and tax cuts for the working poor.

ReputationRep:
    If Ukip are the only party that is campaigning to leave the EU, we will never leave. The people just associate leaving the EU with Ukip.
    If Ukip didn't exist, a lot more people would vote to leave.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aren't increasing the defence budget and being less pro-immigration signs that they are as right-wing than the Tories?
    I think that some Ukip voters feel that the party is less right-wing than it is because they themselves are not as right-wing but identify with the party due to their policies on immigration.
    I don't feel increasing defence to commit to our nato obligations is right wing or left wing, just sensible.
    political compass type websites view ukip as nearly as right wing, but not as much. Probably due to conservative being more big business, and ukip being more small business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    If Ukip are the only party that is campaigning to leave the EU, we will never leave. The people just associate leaving the EU with Ukip.
    If Ukip didn't exist, a lot more people would vote to leave.
    I think that's absolutely right. UKIP have bound the EU issue with immigration, when far more people would be willing to vote to oppose the EU than to vote to support further immigration restrictions.

However, do bear in mind that Cameron probably only conceded the referendum because of UKIP, and most people expected that the concession would be meaningless as according to all the polling data he couldn't win a majority. So UKIP did serve a purpose, in fact right up until the election results came in. Today, the best thing UKIP can do is probably to dissolve itself.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, UKIP is also dedicated to us staying independent and planning for a future with our own sovreign laws

ReputationRep:
    Tories only offered the referendum because people have crying out for years for one, Tories gave and Dave notated with the EU and also try to lure in more UKIP voters and also UKIP as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    I think that's absolutely right. UKIP have bound the EU issue with immigration, when far more people would be willing to vote to oppose the EU than to vote to support further immigration restrictions.

However, do bear in mind that Cameron probably only conceded the referendum because of UKIP, and most people expected that the concession would be meaningless as according to all the polling data he couldn't win a majority. So UKIP did serve a purpose, in fact right up until the election results came in. Today, the best thing UKIP can do is probably to dissolve itself.
    I 100% agree. Ukip are in a tough situation because if they keep going as they're going, we won't leave the EU. Which is supposed to be their main policy. Ukip are torn between wanting to win the 2020 election, and actually wanting us to leave the EU. They can pick one.

ReputationRep:
    What effect would a Scottish independence referendum have on the SNP? Oh wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    I 100% agree. Ukip are in a tough situation because if they keep going as they're going, we won't leave the EU. Which is supposed to be their main policy. Ukip are torn between wanting to win the 2020 election, and actually wanting us to leave the EU. They can pick one.
    You're probably right that that's what they're thinking, or at least what some of them are thinking. That would imply a lurch even further towards being a single-issue immigration party, since the referendum is going to either bring us out of the EU or close the issue for at least a decade, and they have no other unique selling point. Their centre of gravity is also shifting toward Northern Old Labour voters and away from Southern Tory ultras. At that point we really do have BNP Lite.

I do not really understand why Farage resigned (or said he would resign) and don't think that move was thought through. UKIP needs to make important strategic decisions more or less immediately but they will not even have anyone empowered to make such decisions for about six months. There would be some sense to it if a leadership election would follow immediately and Farage wouldn't be a candidate, but it seems like he intends to have himself voted back in (again).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    I do not really understand why Farage resigned (or said he would resign) and don't think that move was thought through. UKIP needs to make important strategic decisions more or less immediately but they will not even have anyone empowered to make such decisions for about six months. There would be some sense to it if a leadership election would follow immediately and Farage wouldn't be a candidate, but it seems like he intends to have himself voted back in (again).
    He wants a break.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.