The Student Room Group

Doing a residency in the US

I'm going to be going to medical school in September and I have recently been considering what I am going to do after I have completed my medical degree. I have seriously been considering doing my internship/residency in the US. I am especially interested in trauma surgery and have been curious how one goes about entering this field of medicine in the US? If any of you have answers to my questions I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply 1
It's generally hard to enter surgery as an international medical graduate(IMG), you have to do USMLE step1, step 2 and get high scores in those. Digitalis is the expert in applying to American residency programs and USMLE exams, you can ask him for detailed information.
Original post by kev2608
I'm going to be going to medical school in September and I have recently been considering what I am going to do after I have completed my medical degree. I have seriously been considering doing my internship/residency in the US. I am especially interested in trauma surgery and have been curious how one goes about entering this field of medicine in the US? If any of you have answers to my questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey! I'm also starting medical school this September and I am almost 100% sure I want to do my residency in the US. I have been trying to find some information on the application process for international graduates. Which university will you be going to?
Reply 3
Hi guys,
As someone who is just about to take step 3, I can help. But read all you can about the exams from the website and ask me specific questions, I don't to be repeating stuff that you probably know already.
Reply 4
Hi Ir3087. I'm familiar with the steps of the process (in terms of step 1 and 2 and interviews), I just wanted to ask if joining a general surgery residency is realistic, or more toward the impossible side of things given the fact that I'd be coming as an IMG? (assuming competitive step 1 scores are obtained). Also, to my knowledge it quite important to have US letters of recommendation. This could be obtained during an elective but apart from this short period of time, are there any other opportunities to get US LoRs?
Reply 5
I think UK grads have a bit more chance than say India/Pakistan/china where the majority of applicants are from. I know someone who needed to do 2 years of research and 2 preliminary intern years before getting into residency. So it more of a struggle that medicine or paeds but it wouldn't extend your training more than if you are gonna do surgery in the UK. And like you said step 1 score is crucial, I did mine in final year and having a bit of clinical knowledge definately helped. So with LORs I have 2 from the 2 four week elective that I did. I think if you did observerships you can potentially get one from there, my uni did an exchange program with Yale during intercalated Bsc year so someone got an lor from that. Medical school has long summers, use them wisely :smile: ( but have fun too!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending