Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In Edexcel GCSE music, are you allowed to use parts of pre-existing compositions in your OWN composition as long as you give the original piece of sheet music alongside it and reference the piece?
    Or would this be considered an arrangement? What actually constitutes an arrangement anyway? For instance, if somebody used a small section of a pre-existing composition and then the rest of the melody/harmony was their own, could that be considered a type of arrangement? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Would most likely be considered plagiarism still. You couldn't just take people's music and use it in real life just by referencing it - you need he artists permission.

I would stick to making something up yourself.

ReputationRep:
    could it be considered an arrangement then? Seeing as you are technically just using someone's pre-existing ideas but developing them to create a "new" piece (or at least a piece decidedly different to the original)

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to state it as an arrangement. If I were you, I wouldn't bother because you'd have to change the original so much anyway before you could start any development, otherwise you wouldn't get marks for it (and probably rightly so) because it isn't your own and therefore it doesn't show your musical capabilities. Is the stress of knowing whether you've changed it enough really worth it? Probably not!

That being said, I did an arrangement of two folk pieces for one of my GCSE compositions and whilst it didn't get anywhere near as high as the mark I got for my other composition, it was graded at a B overall. Which isn't too bad.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.