Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody else think this election is suspicious? watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Tories on 37% to Labour's 30%? I struggle to believe it. I've hardly even met any Tories in my life. The majority of the people I know are Labour or Ukip. What's going on?

    inb4
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    I've met Tories. And the concentration differs in different parts of the country. Your mileage may vary - anecdotal experiences of not knowing any Tories are invalid.

    UK elections are observed by the Council of Europe, so instead of sounding like a sore loser, wait for their report.
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    It's believed that many Tory supporters, especially in strongly anti-Tory areas, are worried of identifying as such for fear of backlash. It's hard to blame them, when you look at the threats posted on Twitter and the thuggish behaviour which has been common at various protests over the last five years.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    I've met Tories. And the concentration differs in different parts of the country. Your mileage may vary - anecdotal experiences of not knowing any Tories are invalid.

    UK elections are observed by the Council of Europe, so instead of sounding like a sore loser, wait for their report.
    im in a tory safe seat and im still like uwotm8
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    Tories on 37% to Labour's 30%? I struggle to believe it. I've hardly even met any Tories in my life. The majority of the people I know are Labour or Ukip. What's going on?

    inb4
    You are a member of the lower class, and therefore know few Conservative voters who actually are in a minority but they do turn up to the polling station. That's what's going on.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    why you hurting so much. Fair elections= fair win for the tories
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    Most of the people I know support the Tories
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Well you're presumably a student and young people don't tend to vote conservative. Also do you you live in an area where tories didn't get many votes?
    Also conservative are a party you're not likely to admit to voting for as it is seen as a 'selfish' vote.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda Thatcher)
    You are a member of the lower class, and therefore know few Conservative voters who actually are in a minority but they do turn up to the polling station. That's what's going on.
    i live in the richest postcode in my city
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    i live in a tory safe seat
    (Original post by izpenguin)
    Well you're presumably a student and young people don't tend to vote conservative. Also do you you live in an area where tories didn't get many votes?
    Also conservative are a party you're not likely to admit to voting for as it is seen as a 'selfish' vote.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HygieneTherapy15)
    UKIP deserved many more seats


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    agree
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    i live in the richest postcode in my city
    Then maybe the city isn't wealthy in general? This would make sense under FPTP, as you may live in a wealthy part of Inslington or Finsbury, but the rest would still vote Labour/UKIP.
    • Political Ambassador
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    it's who your arround, for instance in my school mock election it was 43%ukip 39% conservative 5%labour 12% green 1% lib dem (500+votes). The country is split, you live in scotland, its snp, you live in a city, its labour, anywhere else its conservative/ukip very close
    • Political Ambassador
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    agree
    if they got a seat for every 25,000 votes or so like the snp, theyd be on what 160 seats maybe?
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    I'm in a Tory safe seat here and the MP got an even larger majority this time round with many Lib Dems defecting to UKIP, Labour and Conservatives. Lib Dems went from being the second largest party here in 2010 to the fourth largest in 2015.

    I don't believe there is anything suspicious about the election. It's the same as it always has been. 37% of the electorate's views account for the other 63% of us. The SNP have enough seats that if all the seats were split up equally between the UK population, they would be representing a population of the whole of Scotland and half of Wales. That is why we need a proportional representation system, so the 63% of the rest of the votes count. I support this, even though my party of choice would lose seats.

    Is this election suspicious? No. Was it fair? Not overly. There was dirty tactics, as always. Newspapers dishing out propaganda at every corner, causing people to make uneducated votes without reading either parties' manifesto. The main unfair thing is that smaller parties with more dispersed followings have a lower number of seats. People are voting labour or conservative because they feel their vote won't count otherwise. That is unfair.


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GelukkigChloe)
    I'm in a Tory safe seat here and the MP got an even larger majority this time round with many Lib Dems defecting to UKIP, Labour and Conservatives. Lib Dems went from being the second largest party here in 2010 to the fourth largest in 2015.

    I don't believe there is anything suspicious about the election. It's the same as it always has been. 37% of the electorate's views account for the other 63% of us. The SNP have enough seats that if all the seats were split up equally between the UK population, they would be representing a population of the whole of Scotland and half of Wales. That is why we need a proportional representation system, so the 63% of the rest of the votes count. I support this, even though my party of choice would lose seats.

    Is this election suspicious? No. Was it fair? Not overly. There was dirty tactics, as always. Newspapers dishing out propaganda at every corner, causing people to make uneducated votes without reading either parties' manifesto. The main unfair thing is that smaller parties with more dispersed followings have a lower number of seats. People are voting labour or conservative because they feel their vote won't count otherwise. That is unfair.


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    which seat are we talking? sounds like mine, harborough
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    i live in the richest postcode in my city
    We're out there.

    Survation just did a poll asking how people would vote if there was another election... Shy Tories Unleashed !

    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Not surprisingly Tories are very shy because of thuggish Labour supporters.
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    im in a tory safe seat and im still like uwotm8
    I can only assume your social circle only extends so far. Remember there's on average 70,000 voters in every constituency.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    which seat are we talking? sounds like mine, harborough
    West Suffolk. Has always been Conservative ever since it was created. It is unfortunate that people vote for the party rather than the person. The Labour, UKIP and Lib Dem MP candidates were very lovely gentlemen. The only good thing the Conservative MP has done was vote for gay marriage. As a privately educated Oxbridge graduate with a PPE degree in a safe seat, I can see him as a shoo in for a party leader spot in the future. Fingers crossed that the day doesn't come.


    Posted from TSR Mobile
 
 
 

1,252

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.