Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Chuka Umunna has effectively fired the starting gun on the Labour leadership race by publishing an opinion piece in the Observer.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...stakes-we-made

He has some interesting things to say, and I particularly agree with;

Fourth, we did not tackle the legacy of our recent past so did not allay the concerns some voters had about us. Of course, the last Labour government should not have been running (an albeit small and historically unremarkable) deficit before the financial crash. But we should have done far more to challenge the ludicrous claim that our investment in public services caused it.

The Tories conveniently ignore the fact they signed up to our spending plans before the crash, we inherited a debt-to-GDP ratio of 42% from them in 1997 and had got this down to 37% by 2008; and, under 18 years of Tory rule before 1997, the deficit averaged 3.2% of GDP, whereas it was 1.3% from 1997 to 2007.
    Having said that, I don't think Chuka is the right man for the job. He has a history of churlish and immature behaviour (walking out of TV interviews, etc) and tendency to the most superficial kind of elitism (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...urs-Obama.html).

My vote in the leadership election will be for Dan Jarvis if he runs; he entered parliament in 2011 so he is not associated with the ancien regime, he is a former para and for a time was a single dad raising his two kids after his wife died from cancer. He's brave and highly intelligent, and has what it takes to bring the Labour Party back to the centre ground from which it won three elections under Blair

ReputationRep:
    I also completely disagree with what he says here;

We should be saying: it is time for parliament to move out of the relic that is the Palace of Westminster and into a new, modern, accessible site fit for purpose

I fear that this comment just underlines the kind of superficiality I fear is an inextricable part of Chuka's mindset

ReputationRep:
    Chuka might get lots of minority votes as an Obama but I personally think he will alienate a lot of the working class Labour voters which they are losing to UKIP, and as you mentioned he seems quite touchy and immature, spits his dummy out when things don't go his way.

Jarvis was a solider wasn't he? I think a lot of Labour voters could identify with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feels)
    Chuka might get lots of minority votes as an Obama but I personally think he will alienate a lot of the working class Labour voters which they are losing to UKIP
    Well, quite. I didn't want to mention that, but it is a valid consideration at this point in the game.

and as you mentioned he seems quite touchy and immature, spits his dummy out when things don't go his way.
    Precisely. A lot about him rubs me up the wrong way, and I'm a hardcore Labour supporter. I can't imagine how he would strike the general public once they learn of his dummy-spitting and overinflated ego

Jarvis was a solider wasn't he? I think a lot of Labour voters could identify with him.
    Indeed, he's a former para; he was awarded an MBE by the queen for his service, and he served in Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq and Northern Ireland. I think he has a lot to offer

ReputationRep:
    Just to echo that he would be a huge weakness to UKIP and the working class voter that Labour have failed to attract.

ReputationRep:
    I think they really need to skip a generation because the likes of Burnham and Cooper are still scared by association with New Labour.

I also think Harman's resignation is important too.

Dan Jarvis, Liz Kendal, Tristram Hunt and Rachel Reeves would be all good.

As deputy I'd look at John McDonnell or Tom Watson.

I really want Labour to go down the a proper progressive left wing route,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feels)
    Chuka might get lots of minority votes as an Obama but I personally think he will alienate a lot of the working class Labour voters which they are losing to UKIP, and as you mentioned he seems quite touchy and immature, spits his dummy out when things don't go his way.
    Ah I'm glad you have noticed this too.

Last year, European elections he was so rude and condescending on the BBC coverage programme.

ReputationRep:
    Labour have really ****ty MPs right now.

Your Jarvis fella has never even served as part of a cabinet, how the hell can you make him the party leader?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Burnham will be leader.

ReputationRep:
    Chuka should just take a leaf from Obama's book and start talking about change, change, change, have you got any change guv at every opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewParis)

I fear that this comment just underlines the kind of superficiality I fear is an inextricable part of Chuka's mindset
    You can't have proper pool parties in a stuffy old victorian building. Far better to move parliament to the sun kissed sands of Califor-ny-EH .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordonbennetton)
    You can't have proper pool parties in a stuffy old victorian building. Far better to move parliament to the sun kissed sands of Califor-ny-EH .
    :lol: Good comment, you just perfectly captured the mood of Chuka's comments

ReputationRep:
    the conservative front bench are more intelligent, better spoken, better looking, more educated, and much wittier

Labour have got nothing on them,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    the conservative front bench are more intelligent, better spoken, better looking, more educated, and much wittier

Labour have got nothing on them,
    :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    Chuka Umunna has effectively fired the starting gun on the Labour leadership race by publishing an opinion piece in the Observer.

Having said that, I don't think Chuka is the right man for the job. He has a history of churlish and immature behaviour (walking out of TV interviews, etc) and tendency to the most superficial kind of elitism (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...urs-Obama.html).

My vote in the leadership election will be for Dan Jarvis if he runs; he entered parliament in 2011 so he is not associated with the ancien regime, he is a former para and for a time was a single dad raising his two kids after his wife died from cancer. He's brave and highly intelligent, and has what it takes to bring the Labour Party back to the centre ground from which it won three elections under Blair
    I agree with you that Dan Jarvis is the best candidate. Not at all impressed by any other possible candidates, including David Miliband - think Ed was far better than any other option available at the time, and he'd still have my support.

The problem now is that the politicians from Blair's era are beginning to crawl out from under the woodwork to exert some influence over the leadership election. I don't want Labour to move too far to the centre (in fact I found Ed Miliband's policies to be basically what I wanted; the public just didn't warm to him and still unfairly blamed Labour for 2008). I agree quite strongly with Jarvis' voting in the past parliament, so if he can translate that into policy he'll have my vote in 2020.

I strongly disagree with Blair and Mandelson saying that Ed was wrong to reject New Labour and that it should now be embraced; that brand is so toxic that any attempt to resurrect it would just guarantee a Labour defeat.

ReputationRep:
    I've not decided who i'd like for the Labour leadership (not that i plan to join and vote anyway) but i do think that Chucka is one of those in Labour who would seek to take Tory votes rather than please the left and that's ultimately what you need for 40%+.

Look at Blair. No nationalisations (bar Railtrack) but he managed to bring in tax credits which please the left. Internal NHS market, but he was able to increase the budget massively. All of these things pleased his middle class more traditionally Tory voters while being what most Labourites would describe as a bit progressive.

Perhaps this is where Ed failed in that his energy freeze was not matched with anything. While popular in some circles that was not a policy that middle england drove to.

I'd add that New Labour is far more toxic to Labour voters than it is floating voters. Pretty wierd in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    Not only does Burnham deserve to be leader, and will be leader, he'll be the best leader.

ReputationRep:

That is extremely disturbing. Hopefully either Dan Jarvis or Tristram will win.

ReputationRep:

That just shows what little respect he has for British tradition and heritage.
    I am not white myself, but this man is overrated because he is black and speaks well.

ReputationRep:

I think that Chuka will win. His anti-deficit comments on Marr this morning really signalled a move away from the perceived leftism of Miliband and a move back to the centre, which is what the party wants, I think. It's certainly what it needs. I think they've both got good stories, but I think Umunna, being from an immigrant background (albeit a privileged one) and being markedly 'cooler' than the other contestants, stands to gain from the party's desire for a fresh face. Too young though?

I lolled when I noticed he brought his girlfriend out in public for the first time today to mark his leadership bid

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.