Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 taking Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and Business Studies for AS (however, dropping Business next year), and am hopefully going to try to apply for Dentistry for 2016.

I was wondering about a few things:

1. My GCSE grades (however, I took IGCSEs in all my subjects) were A* AAAA BBBB - are these going to set me back at all? I was very disappointed that I got a B in Chemistry and was wondering if that would affect my chances?

2. A2 Grades - I understand that AAA is a typical offer, but are there any exceptions to this (e.g AAB)?

3. Work experience - why kind of things regarding work experience would you have to include in your personal statement?

4. To anyone who was accepted for Dentistry - what kind of grades/experiences did you have?

Sorry if this was a bit long, but I would appreciate any advice/help. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfarquhar0)
    Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 taking Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and Business Studies for AS (however, dropping Business next year), and am hopefully going to try to apply for Dentistry for 2016.

I was wondering about a few things:

1. My GCSE grades (however, I took IGCSEs in all my subjects) were A* AAAA BBBB - are these going to set me back at all? I was very disappointed that I got a B in Chemistry and was wondering if that would affect my chances?

2. A2 Grades - I understand that AAA is a typical offer, but are there any exceptions to this (e.g AAB)?

3. Work experience - why kind of things regarding work experience would you have to include in your personal statement?

4. To anyone who was accepted for Dentistry - what kind of grades/experiences did you have?

Sorry if this was a bit long, but I would appreciate any advice/help. Thank you!
    1- it would slightly with kings as they judge you alot on UKCAT and Gcses , and birmingham want at least 8 a*-as (if you didnt get an A in maths that would rule out a couple more) but overall you should be fine with every other uni

2- AAA is the standard offer for all unis, but dundee offer AAB i believe and leeds and newcastle do if you are part of their outreach programmes

3- what you learnt/how it helped you decide you want to do dentistry/what situations did you see that you havent before etc

4- applying this year so idk sorry :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. Worried about my UKCAT also
    I got A in both Maths and English, so not too concerned about them, but do Kings care a lot about the other GCSE grades? I really want to study at Kings :/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. Worried about my UKCAT also
    I got A in both Maths and English, so not too concerned about them, but do Kings care a lot about the other GCSE grades? I really want to study at Kings :/
    they do unfortunately, but you can compensate for it on your UKCAT dw

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately Dundee university increases their entry requirements from AAB to AAA for 2016 entry

ReputationRep:
    I have finally found a course I'm interested in and one I think will suit me, dentistry. However my GCSEs were definitely not the best
    Bio A
    Chem B
    Phys B
    Maths A
    History B
    Spanish B
    Tech B
    Religion A
    English A
    English B
    I would like to know whether you think it possible for me to get onto a course, if so how easy/hard it would be and which uni you think best for me if I'm fact it is possible ?
    I am currently studying biology chemistry psychology and history at AS
    would be applying for 2016!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caoimheedwards)
    I have finally found a course I'm interested in and one I think will suit me, dentistry. However my GCSEs were definitely not the best
    Bio A
    Chem B
    Phys B
    Maths A
    History B
    Spanish B
    Tech B
    Religion A
    English A
    English B
    I would like to know whether you think it possible for me to get onto a course, if so how easy/hard it would be and which uni you think best for me if I'm fact it is possible ?
    I am currently studying biology chemistry psychology and history at AS
    would be applying for 2016!
    Gcse slight disadvantage but its not impossible if you get As at AS and a good ukcat score

ReputationRep:
    AAA is typical offer. I know of people getting AAB on results day but the uni had space and let them in, but they were outstanding in other areas, and you certainly can't rely on this. Dentistry places are strictly regulated.
    The offer could be lower if you're from a certain background and the uni runs an 'access' scheme. I don't know a lot about it but it's for people whose parents haven't been to uni, or are from a less privileged area/school, etc.

Advice on work experience (and ukcat, personal statement, etc.) you can find on my website, hopefully you'll find some stuff on there helpful with your application >
    http://dentallyinclined.blogspot.com/

ReputationRep:
    Name:  POSTER DentPrep.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  488.6 KB

1 WEEK LEFT & 2 WEEKS LEFT
    Hey guys by names Abdul a 4th year dental student at Cardiff and I will be presenting a slot in this massive event, the course is taking place in Cardiff University on 6th June 2015 and Birmingham on 13th June! If you have any questions please feel free to message me dont miss out on:

1. Detailed Personal statement secrets and inspirational tips- we will be dissecting real examples of outstanding Personal statements that shine to the reader from between the 60 personal statements being read a day by tutors.
    2. UKCAT gems and profound guidelines for achieving extraordinary scores on all sections.
    3. Interview training and strategies to help you get ahead of the competition. We will be going through so many MMI interview station questions that have been used in the last 4 years!
    4. Hidden secrets of each and every single individual university- each university preference will be explained and their procedure for accepting students.
    5. Gaining a competitive advantage and a winning edge to impress
    6. Profound entry hints, tips & tricks
    7. Expert Q&A

Book your ticket quick as its first come first serve!
    REGISTER AT: dent-prep.eventbrite.co.uk
    facebook: facebook.com/uniDentPrep
    Twitter hashtag: #DentPrep
    Email: [email protected]
    DentPrep is a unique organisation equipping you with profound skills to obtain a place at dental school.

£50? Shocking that people are trying to make money out of potential applicants.

If you're proactive you'll find all the information you need for applying on TSR, university websites/prospectuses, the internet and at Open Days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyg&Ther)
    £50? Shocking that people are trying to make money out of potential applicants.

If you're proactive you'll find all the information you need for applying on TSR, university websites/prospectuses, the internet and at Open Days.
    These are legit companies that are giving real detailed help to applicants... if you think of UKCAT companies, they charge so much more and only for UKCAT! plus DentPrep is TEACHING students not just giving info, teaching is usually paid

The courses they held during the last 2 weeks were very successful with brilliant feedback and the team will be presenting it again in a number of places in the near future (please see below)

*** 100% of attendees said they would recommend the DentPrep course to others ***

Here are some of the feedback they got:
    “This is the best course I have been on. Extremely in depth”
    “No other courses out there provide what you gave us today  thank you!”
    “10/10. Had all the information I was looking for!”
    “Very enlightening”
    “Very empowering”
    “10/10 very detailed and helpful”
    “Enthusiastic & insightful – very motivational”
    “Presented in more detail than I had expected!”
    “Thank you- It was very helpful! I am glad I attended”
    “Made it particularly worthwhile”

A few more detailed testimonials:
    “The interview section was my favourite. It was really fun and allowed me to see what I was good at, the common mistakes people make and what I wasn’t very good at”
    “Very empowering! The interview section was very interactive. I am not very confident so it was reassuring to know that when I put my mind to something and I don’t get frustrated, I can do a lot! ”
    “Very insightful, open and clear when telling us what interviewers are looking for”
    “I couldn’t have gained this information anywhere else, I wouldn’t have known where to look!”
    “I really enjoyed the interview section and found I really learnt a lot on how to approach and tackle it”
    “I now have a better understanding of what to expect at interview- definitely my favourite part”
    “The personal statement & interview sections were the best. Both were very informative and I felt I benefitted from these a lot”
    “10/10 very detailed and helpful especially about the interview and UKCAT- very interactive”
    "loved the interview part”

Upcoming #DentPrep courses:
    The #DentPrep course will take place next on the following dates:
    - Saturday & Sunday 25th & 26th July 2015: Cardiff & London (Venue TBC)
    - Saturday & Sunday 1st & 2nd August 2015: Manchester & Birmingham (Venue TBC)
    - Saturday & Sunday 5th & 12th September 2015: Cardiff & Sheffield (Venue TBC)
    BOOK HERE: dent-prep.eventbrite.co.uk
    Attached Images

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.