Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Starting Medicine this September and was wondering if any current students could tell me what books/study materials they're using for each subject just so that I can familiarise myself with the course etc.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your medical school.

However, for pharmacology, I'd strongly recommend Medical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. It's up to date, succinct and explains the mechanism of action of each drug in a scientific manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk123456789)
    Starting Medicine this September and was wondering if any current students could tell me what books/study materials they're using for each subject just so that I can familiarise myself with the course etc.
    Don't do this. Don't be that guy.

ReputationRep:
    I bought craploads of books before medical school. They were all useless.

Utterly useless. Wait until you start and then ask your senpais in the year above what they found useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Don't do this. Don't be that guy.
    Why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just so that I can familiarise myself with the course etc.
    Familiarise yourself with the beer garden instead. Far more productive.

ReputationRep:
    If you must familiarize, try to learn some anatomy. Get Gray's Anatomy. I personally prefer Netter's but I believe that Gray's is probably the best for someone who knows absolutely no anatomy since it has an explanation for every thing while Netter's is better for the medical student because its just big pictures and no explanations.

The only book I ever used in 1st and 2nd year was Gray's, everything else I got from lectures or borrowed from the library. I then got First Aid for USMLE and OHCM but these books I probably won't properly start using until next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    If you must familiarize, try to learn some anatomy. Get Gray's Anatomy. I personally prefer Netter's but I believe that Gray's is probably the best for someone who knows absolutely no anatomy since it has an explanation for every thing while Netter's is better for the medical student because its just big pictures and no explanations.

The only book I ever used in 1st and 2nd year was Gray's, everything else I got from lectures or borrowed from the library. I then got First Aid for USMLE and OHCM but these books I probably won't properly start using until next year.
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm planning on getting Gray's and the Netter's Atlas. I'm planning on taking the USMLE also. What year are you taking the Step 1?

Btw, are there many people at your uni who are hoping to do their residency in the US or hardly any?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm planning on getting Gray's and the Netter's Atlas. I'm planning on taking the USMLE also. What year are you taking the Step 1?

Btw, are there many people at your uni who are hoping to do their residency in the US or hardly any?
    There are many, like 5-10 out of 130. I don't know what year maybe 3rd or 4th year out of a 6 year program.

ReputationRep:
    Don't waste your money on books in advance, and certainly not new ones. If I were you, I'd make the most of what may be the last of your (truly) free time; not to say that there aren't plenty of holidays at medical school - especially in the pre-clinical years - but there will always be some work you could be doing during those times, so it's not the same.

If you really can't bear the idea of not doing some reading beforehand, there are plenty of amazing resources on the internet that can be used free of charge. You have no idea how many students in the latter years start trying to flog 'like new' books that are 'essential' for first year stuff. And you know why they're 'like new'? Again: I really wouldn't waste your money.

ReputationRep:
    I have bought one textbook in 6 years - the Cheese and Onion - and that was halfway through 3rd year because I wanted to scribble in my copy rather than the library's copy I'd previously been using. All other medical books I own (mainly question books) were either from book vouchers I got from helping out at university on open days etc. or the free Oxford Handbook ones you get for signing up to MDU/MPS etc. Seriously, the BMA library (or your uni library) will sort you out - and there's free p&p too. E-books are awesome too. And the Internet...it's the most up to date info out there.

Like someone above said, why do you think so many final year students are trying to desperately get rid of "almost new" books they've accumulated over the years...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wikipedia.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly don't waste money on textbooks til you get there, and avoid it as much as possible. They're all in the library, as above you can use Wikipedia and the only truly useful book I bought over the years was also the Cheese and Onion! Or variants of the Cheese and Onion, I also bought Clinical Specialities and the Foundation HBs and they are well loved. Those are the ones you'll want to carry around.. ..eventually when you get to clinics!

Reasons not to buy textbooks now:
    1. Each medical school uses its own set of recommended textbooks and whatever you buy now may not be the right one. You will want the right one, because you want the one closest to your exams/the syllabus
    2. You'll get them for free out the library when you get there, if you are wily
    3. TOO KEEN! You don't even know what you'll be needing to cover yet!!

I would just enjoy your summer and save the keen-ness for when you start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Wikipedia.
    This thing was a lifesaver as an immediate resource, but that damn photo of Jimmy Wales made me feel so guilty about never donating any money....

Ive done a BSc and an MSc and ive only ever bought two books - which while I don't use now I think will come in handy at med school again. Theres always people who pay near enough 100 squid for a new edition book but theres no point.

Ill be making full use of library again really - just hope this time around im better with time keeping and renewals :/

ReputationRep:
    You are expected to know the relevant parts of A-Levels/whatever 16-18 course you're doing when you start Medicine. Sometimes there is an additional preliminary reading list for you to consider flicking through. There is no anatomy test on day 1 though!!! I don't know how you're being taught, but either way, learning the stuff beforehand is not a great idea because:

In lectures, you'll be hearing things you already (think) you know, but you're there to learn them then - so you've wasted your free time in the summer.

You may think you already know something because you've read it, neglect to look into it when you cover it, and not realise that you should have gone far deeper. 'Oh yeah I know eyes, it's just ciliary muscles and fovea stuff, it'll be fine'

Buying books before arrival is a bad idea. Your teachers will know what books are best suited to your course, and there are many many free or cheap places to get these books from.

The best advice I've heard is to spend a little bit of time at the end of summer to recap the relevant parts of A-Level science - cells, basic chemistry, nerves, homeostasis, gas laws and fluids.

ReputationRep:
    hey! just to hijack this thread, I am selling the following textbooks if anyone is interested!
    -Macleods Clinical Examination 12th Ed (£10)
    -Muir's Textbook of pathology 14th Ed (£10)
    -Gray's Anatomy for students 2nd Ed (£15)
    -Clinically Oriented Anatomy 6th Ed (£15)
    -Kumar and Clark clinical med 7th Ed (£10)
    First 4 are in excellent condition, pretty much untouched.
    Kumar&clark in awful condition as I have removed chapters as chunks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annawells123)
    hey! just to hijack this thread, I am selling the following textbooks if anyone is interested!
    -Macleods Clinical Examination 12th Ed (£10)
    -Muir's Textbook of pathology 14th Ed (£10)
    -Gray's Anatomy for students 2nd Ed (£15)
    -Clinically Oriented Anatomy 6th Ed (£15)
    -Kumar and Clark clinical med 7th Ed (£10)
    First 4 are in excellent condition, pretty much untouched.
    Kumar&clark in awful condition as I have removed chapters as chunks!
    ... Case in point. :erm:

(Original post by *pitseleh*)
    You have no idea how many students in the latter years start trying to flog 'like new' books that are 'essential' for first year stuff. And you know why they're 'like new'? Again: I really wouldn't waste your money.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha guilty as charged!!! im not claiming these will be essential but these are pretty decent prices and if you are a bit anxious like me and want to buy the stuff on the reading list then what a great opportunity

ReputationRep:
    For eager, unbled incoming medical students like us the whole "don't waste your money" "wait til you get here" thing is quite depressing to read. We want to buy textbooks and look at our vast piles of them and feel like we've qualified already. That's the underlying feeling behind this very common question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tronick)
    For eager, unbled incoming medical students like us the whole "don't waste your money" "wait til you get here" thing is quite depressing to read. We want to buy textbooks and look at our vast piles of them and feel like we've qualified already. That's the underlying feeling behind this very common question.
    We've all been there, we get it. We have also been on the other side and know how much use you're actually likely to get out of some of those books, hence the advice - not just being mean!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.