Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anybody currently doing or has done the OCR AS Level music course? If so, any tips on the listening paper? How are you preparing for it? Any tips and tricks for dictation and essay especially?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple345)
    Anybody currently doing or has done the OCR AS Level music course? If so, any tips on the listening paper? How are you preparing for it? Any tips and tricks for dictation and essay especially?
    Hi I'm really struggling with this paper, but my teacher has given my class a big booklet about how to answer each question- the only problem is that I can't remember any of it!

We have a mock tomorrow and I am freaking out about it!!!

ReputationRep:
    our teacher has given us nothing at all! he just said to read the textbook and listen to the set works - im really not looking forward to this exam either. good luck for your mock tomorrow - would you be able to send me a copy of that booklet?

ReputationRep:
    I was looking around online for notes and I found this. It still applies to the classical prescribed works, just not the jazz... and if it's any consolation, I'm dreading the exam as well

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resou...3-2014-6374440

ReputationRep:
    I did the OCR AS exam last year and got a B, but I'm retaking for an A on tuesday and reckon I actually have a reasonable idea how to do the paper this year (was totally underprepared last time!). Happy to answer any questions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmet117)
    I did the OCR AS exam last year and got a B, but I'm retaking for an A on tuesday and reckon I actually have a reasonable idea how to do the paper this year (was totally underprepared last time!). Happy to answer any questions...
    hi,
    i'm really stressing about this paper! any tips for the essay question? also any tips for time management? i'm really scared of running out of time as it seems like there's so much to do! also any general tips for the wordy questions, especially in section A - i always seem to drop marks on the questions like 'describe how the melodic ideas from 1(i) are used in 1(iii).

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    Well it's probably not such a bad thing that you're stressing a bit because it means that you're aware of what the problems could be – I went in without a clue last year!

With the essay, the most important thing is to make your points concise and relevant to the qu, and to back each one up with facts/bar nos. It's good to know some key bar nos for each classical work that you can put into an essay about how one or two of the composers use their orchestras and how that's typical of the time. It's also good to know a few key facts for recording technology, e.g. the dates of the jazz set works, what technology was used to record them and what effect that had on instrumentation, sound quality, length, etc.

Time is a problem with this paper – I messed up my essay big time last year because I left myself 10 minutes to do it! You need to be so concise – the examiners' reports always say it's fine to use bullet points in Sections A and B and that comments like 'Bar 18 – E major' will be credited unless the qu says you have to give extra info. Also, be strict with your timing – when you get to the end of your time for a section, move on whether you're finished or not and then come back at the end. Otherwise you end up doing what I did and getting 7/20 in the essay!

With the Section A qus, I would say always look for the simplest answer first. E.g. with the melodic ideas qu, they're often just repeated in a different part, transposed into a different key, played in a sequence, in dialogue etc. With other qus like ones comparing music between two sections, it can be obvious stuff like pointing out different dynamics, different instrumentation etc. Be specific – quote bar numbers, performance markings etc. if you can because qus with more marks are often marked from a grid, where you can only get the highest marks if you've given specific detail. Lots of concise points like 'Bar 5 – motif repeated, transposed up a perfect fifth' are much better than waffling about general points.

One other thing, which Section A extract do you usually do? I've always done the classical one but I've done a few of the TV/Film music ones recently and I actually find them a bit easier, so it's worth having a look if you haven't already.

Ok, that's pretty much everything I've learnt since last year – hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmet117)
    hi,
    Well it's probably not such a bad thing that you're stressing a bit because it means that you're aware of what the problems could be – I went in without a clue last year!

With the essay, the most important thing is to make your points concise and relevant to the qu, and to back each one up with facts/bar nos. It's good to know some key bar nos for each classical work that you can put into an essay about how one or two of the composers use their orchestras and how that's typical of the time. It's also good to know a few key facts for recording technology, e.g. the dates of the jazz set works, what technology was used to record them and what effect that had on instrumentation, sound quality, length, etc.

Time is a problem with this paper – I messed up my essay big time last year because I left myself 10 minutes to do it! You need to be so concise – the examiners' reports always say it's fine to use bullet points in Sections A and B and that comments like 'Bar 18 – E major' will be credited unless the qu says you have to give extra info. Also, be strict with your timing – when you get to the end of your time for a section, move on whether you're finished or not and then come back at the end. Otherwise you end up doing what I did and getting 7/20 in the essay!

With the Section A qus, I would say always look for the simplest answer first. E.g. with the melodic ideas qu, they're often just repeated in a different part, transposed into a different key, played in a sequence, in dialogue etc. With other qus like ones comparing music between two sections, it can be obvious stuff like pointing out different dynamics, different instrumentation etc. Be specific – quote bar numbers, performance markings etc. if you can because qus with more marks are often marked from a grid, where you can only get the highest marks if you've given specific detail. Lots of concise points like 'Bar 5 – motif repeated, transposed up a perfect fifth' are much better than waffling about general points.

One other thing, which Section A extract do you usually do? I've always done the classical one but I've done a few of the TV/Film music ones recently and I actually find them a bit easier, so it's worth having a look if you haven't already.

Ok, that's pretty much everything I've learnt since last year – hope it helps!
    thanks so much hopefully low grade boundaries should help us all out!

ReputationRep:
    no problem yes hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping for the same - I'm stressing about the possible essay titles and the questions they ask on use of harmony and stuff. I often find it quite difficult. :/ I'm hoping that a. I'm overthinking it and b. the grade boundaries won't be too high because I'm aiming for an A.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a difficult exam unfortunately...the grade boundary for an A last year was 72/90 UMS, so 80%. With the essay titles, at least we get a choice of 3 so something that's ok usually comes up

ReputationRep:
    I think the most important thing in this paper is time management - I know it is for me anyway!
    Also, does anyone know if we all do the same set works?

ReputationRep:
    yeah I found the time really hard last year...
    Everybody does the same set works for AS

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, good luck for tomorrow everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. =) Good luck everyone! =)

ReputationRep:
    I'm just praying for Tin Roof Blues+Beethoven haha. Yeah, good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Well...thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I was retaking it and wasn't too bad at all! music teacher frowned upon me for doing the essay question about jazz musicians tho...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought it was ok on the whole. Which Section A extract did you do, just out of interest? I did 1B and it was mostly not bad but I found the melodic dictation a bit harder than usual (but then that is my weakest qu anyway – the main reason I did 1B was because there was only 1 melodic dictation instead of 2!)

Oh ok, the one about financial and social pressures on musicians in 1920 - 1960? I couldn't have done that one! I did the one about innovative and unusual use of timbre and sonority – it was actually quite a nice qu once I got my heard round the wording...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 13, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.