Polar - non symmetrical with polar bonds
Non-polar - has polar bonds but symmetrical or no polar bonds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loyota
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Adding to above, polar molecules have a partially positive side, and a partially negative side.
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If a molecule is polar, it means that one atom/atoms attract electrons more strongly than the other atoms in the molecule.
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by navarre)
If a molecule is polar, it means that one atom/atoms attract electrons more strongly than the other atoms in the molecule.
Slightly misleading. Non polar molecules can still contain polar bonds if they are symmetrical

Posted from TSR Mobile
Faisalshamallakh
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, If a molecule is polar, it will dissolve in a polar solvent (i.e Water). If it is nonpolar, it will dissolve in a non-polar solvent such as hexane.
Pev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
*Due to differences in electronegativity between atoms. Resulting in the more electronegative atom more strongly attracting the electron density toward itself in a covalent bond. Resulting in a dipole.
Feraligatr
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Polar molecule = regions of positive and negative charges (so must be assymetrical) and has polar bonds
Non-polar = no regions of positive and negative charges + polar bonds OR no polar bonds
mistel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can some one relate polar and non polar through active/passive transport through a phospholipid bilayer?
yoomi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If an atom is more electronegative than another atom, it will have a greater attraction for the bonding pair of electrons than other atom< so the bonding electrons will be closer to it. This crates a small charge difference which is a permanent dipole. Since the electrons are not evenly distributed , the bond is now polar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (8)
13.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
18.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (27)
46.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (9)
15.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads