longsightdon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What kind of physics is learnt during a chemistry degree? I do OCR physics as level currently and I have very little interest in things like mechanics but find things like the photoelectric effect interesting. Im wondering about whether any physics I learn in A2 will be beneficial for a chemistry degree. Thanks.
DandyC
Badges: 1
Report 4 years ago
During my chemistry degree we covered a lot of quantum mechanical concepts and even used some basic mechanics in some calculations for molecular motion, also thermodynamics is a big topic in physical chemistry so boyles/Charles/gay-lusaac laws.
I found it was the understanding of the concepts from a levels that helped in chemistry not necessarily the content itself because it's applied in a different context. So if you are understanding the topics and equations in A2 physics well I would imagine you'll be alright when it comes to physical chemistry in a degree though they will teach you the more complex physics anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mechanics will probably come up at degree level in the study of gas behaviour. Apart from that, I'd agree with DandyC's general point that at this stage you should be looking to develop your general scientific literacy. Very little degree-level material will come up at A level because it's too hard but the themes of being given an equation or some data and using them and other things you know to derive results will crop up time and time again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (97)
61.78%
No (60)
38.22%

Watched Threads